orphaned kitten not pooping

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

they're doing pretty good, they're all very vocal and active. One of the black one pooped. I am just very worried about them, they seem very weak maybe it is just because Winnie was 3x their size when a day old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. They ARE newborns! Yes, cut the cords to about an inch from their naval.

I told you your little guy is big and healthy! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

If one is having trouble latching to the bottle, do you know how to feed with a syringe if necessary?

What happened to their mother? Did they nurse her at all?

Do you have a heat source in with them? Like a rice sock, hot water bottle, or heating pad?

Are you feeding them every hour right now? They surely need it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what happened to their mother and what kind of care they've had up until this point?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww. They ARE newborns! Yes, cut the cords to about an inch from their naval.

I told you your little guy is big and healthy! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

If one is having trouble latching to the bottle, do you know how to feed with a syringe if necessary?

What happened to their mother? Did they nurse her at all?

Do you have a heat source in with them? Like a rice sock, hot water bottle, or heating pad?

Are you feeding them every hour right now? They surely need it.
okay so yes they have a heating pad (it's covered by a small blanket of course). no I haven't ever fed by a syringe but I am sure I can learn. The person said she doesn't know what happened to their mom. I've been feeding them every two hours but will start to do it every hour. I got the other kitten the same age maybe even younger and he was so much bigger

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good on the heat source.

Yes, 1-2 mLs every hour right now. Get weights as soon as you can.

To syringe feed, you hold the kitten tummy down, head up, and put one drop at a time into the side of the mouth with a needleless small syringe. Let the kitten swallow and breathe, and go again. Be very careful not to shoot it into the lungs.

Last edited:

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good on the heat source.

Yes, 1-2 mLs every hour right now. Get weights as soon as you can.

To syringe feed, you hold the kitten tummy down, head up, and put one drop at a time into the side of the mouth with a needleless small syringe. Let the kitten swallow and breathe, and go again. Be very careful not to shoot it into the lungs.
okay and just taking it slow and a little at a time will prevent it from going in the lungs.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
oh my people selling new born kittens for $5?!!! I am SO glad you bought them! Some people really enrage me!!! So glad you kept an eye out and rescued these sweeties. The ladies above will lead you the right way. feed as often as you can every hour for the next few days. stimulate to pee n poo but the poo will be toothpaste due to a liquid diet. just keep doing what you are doing. and make sure kitten is warm befiore you feed them-they cant digest their food if they are cold. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my people selling new born kittens for $5?!!! I am SO glad you bought them! Some people really enrage me!!! So glad you kept an eye out and rescued these sweeties. The ladies above will lead you the right way. feed as often as you can every hour for the next few days. stimulate to pee n poo but the poo will be toothpaste due to a liquid diet. just keep doing what you are doing. and make sure kitten is warm befiore you feed them-they cant digest their food if they are cold. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this!
thank you and don't worry I have done this before. I just come on here for extra support and guidance

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where did the girl find these poor kittens?
I really have no idea. I gave her the money and walked away because I really was about to say something. I still think I should call animal control on them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe you should, especially if you think it's a hoarding situation. And also if they sell tiny kittens on FB frequently. And if the kittens were outside, sometimes the mom goes to find food and leaves her kittens for a bit, but comes back. Ugh. At least you have them now!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should, especially if you think it's a hoarding situation. And also if they sell tiny kittens on FB frequently. And if the kittens were outside, sometimes the mom goes to find food and leaves her kittens for a bit, but comes back. Ugh. At least you have them now!
I know that's what I am really worried about. she may have just left and was coming back. They probally saw them and grabbed (they may of even scared off the mom). they should of just secretly watched for a little while to see if she came back.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely!

And should not be profiting from them! That makes me very angry. [emoji]128545[/emoji]

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah same
okay so the big black one weighs 4.5 oz, the runt (also black) weighs 3.25 and the black and white one weighs 4.0

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
also for Winnie is it normal to gain this much everyday?
6/21- 7.05 oz
6/22- 7.75 oz
6/23- 8.20 oz

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay so for some reason I can't read what you said, I only got notified that you replied so will you send it again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Winnie is fine - very healthy! Growing fast!

The new kittens' weights are good too!

Kitten #1 (4.5) needs a minimum of 36 mLs each 24 hours, or 3 mLs per feeding every 2 hours.

Kitten #2 (4.0) needs 32 mLs each 24 hours, or 2.7 mLs every 2 hours.

Kitten #3 (3.25) needs 26 mLs each 24 hours, or 2.1 mLs every 2 hours.

I think you can switch to 2-hour feedings now that I know their weights. They can always have more food, but this is their minimum. It will increase daily as they gain weight.

You are feeding through the night, right?