orphaned kitten not pooping

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
PetAgs powder has seldom such problems. Its even possible it was this you had in the beginning, when you had unknown powder formula.

While their premade variation, although its supposed to be the same - is known to get problems sometimes.

If you want, you can add a tiny trifle oil, but less then earlier...   Its no exact science.   BUT the PetAG KMR in powder is the most reliable of the kmr´s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PetAgs powder has seldom such problems. Its even possible it was this you had in the beginning, when you had unknown powder formula.
While their premade variation, although its supposed to be the same - is known to get problems sometimes.

If you want, you can add a tiny trifle oil, but less then earlier...   Its no exact science.   BUT the PetAG KMR in powder is the most reliable of the kmr´s
okay so I will let it play out and see. Hopefully this formula will agree with him. How long does it take for his body to adjust to it

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I advised you to give it 24 hours.

okay so I will let it play out and see. Hopefully this formula will agree with him. How long does it take for his body to adjust to it
the past two feedings he hasn't pooped and I know I am suppose to wait 24 hours I just am so worried that he will get constipated again.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's had so much diarrhea that he may not poop until tomorrow. After 24 hours begin adding the oil again. Try not to worry so much.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the past two feedings he hasn't pooped and I know I am suppose to wait 24 hours I just am so worried that he will get constipated again.

He's had so much diarrhea that he may not poop until tomorrow. After 24 hours begin adding the oil again. Try not to worry so much.
okay so after the 24 hours of using this formula add the oil as a regular thing? I can't help but worry, I have lost bottle babies before and he is the youngest I mothered

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tiffr

Yes, add a drop of oil back in each feeding beginning 24 hours after you started the PetAg.

What does he weigh, and how much and how often are you feeding him?

Last edited:

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he weighs about 7.75 oz and eats 3/4 tablespoon every 2-3 hours (only now that he's a week)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your kitten weighs almost 8 ounces at a week old he's doing great!

In terms of amount, your kitten needs a minimum of 64 mLs in each 24-hour period. If you feed every 3 hours, he would need 8 mLs at each feeding. It comes to 8 feedings.

If your kitten eats 3/4's of a tablespoon at each feeding, he is getting about 11 mLs each time. That's fine!

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
okay am I over feeding? he is always hungry and if he wants more I hate to take it away

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you are not over feeding. I quoted you the minimum he needs to eat to thrive. More is always better in a tiny, growing kitten! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, you are not over feeding. I quoted you the minimum he needs to eat to thrive. More is always better in a tiny, growing kitten! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
okay great! [emoji]128522[/emoji] One more question when I was trying to make him go you can see a little poop in his butt (sorry-sounds gross) and I used a warm cotton ball rubbed by his butt and stomach and nothing happened so I wiped it and you couldn't see it anymore. is this bad? a sign of constipation ?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found out the 1st formula I used (it made him poop a lot) it's called breeders edge. should I buy some of that? him pooping a lot is better than none right?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, stop changing formulas. Stick to the powdered PetAg and let his body adjust. The only thing you may need to do is add a few drops of oil if he seems constipated.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, stop changing formulas. Stick to the powdered PetAg and let his body adjust. The only thing you may need to do is add a few drops of oil if he seems constipated.
okay sounds good. I will do that. I am just super worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly. Stay with the PetAg. Even if he is constipated for a day or two, he is still healthy.

I suggested to you in a recent post that he may not poop for 24 hours due to recent diarrhea.

I suggested that you stay with the PetAg, and if he has not pooped in 24 hours to begin adding oil.

Your kitten weighs what most kittens weigh at 2 weeks old. He is very healthy. i think he will be pooping normally in the next day or two.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly. Stay with the PetAg. Even if he is constipated for a day or two, he is still healthy.

I suggested to you in a recent post that he may not poop for 24 hours due to recent diarrhea.

I suggested that you stay with the PetAg, and if he has not pooped in 24 hours to begin adding oil.

Your kitten weighs what most kittens weigh at 2 weeks old. He is very healthy. i think he will be pooping normally in the next day or two.
okay sounds good but what about the little bit of poop that is always there when I try to poop him it's like he can't push it out and so when I finally wipe it it's gone but it was smaller than a grain of rice. what is happening when this happens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think anything is happening. Colons almost always have feces in them, so a tiny speck appears when you stimulate him.

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think anything is happening. Colons almost always have feces in them, so a tiny speck appears when you stimulate him.
okay so I continued to put oil in his food because he is struggling to push poop out anyways so he was able to poop (after a lot of pushing) but it was diarrhea