Opinions, please? Is Flowerbelle having a mild asthma attack or a weird purr?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flowerbelle: the most expensive purr in the world. ;)

:lol3: But, a purr worth every penny !!!!!!!!!!! :D :heart3: She wants to make sure that you keep those purrs paid for. :bigwink: I am really, really happy to hear how good and happy she is acting - feeling better overall. It really is so tough, so frustrating, so worrisome and so head banging :lol2: trying to figure out the WHY behind these purrs. I would be concerned about the Baytril too BUT think she will be just fine and that it IS helping her middle ear infection for sure. :nod: Thinking the purring has nothing to do with the ears, now. :rolleyes: Still a mystery and maybe the cardiologist can shed some light on that one. :cross: See what the neuro thinks about the cardiologist on the follow up before Christmas. Continuing those daily vibes, hugs and bubbles of love your way, sweetie. Your never far from my heart !!!!! :heart3: :vibes: :hugs: :rub: :sun:

p.s. Laurie you already know this, BUT my Walden purrs in reverse!!! :lol3: He does this when he really, really wants some mommy cuddle and snuggle time. Sometimes he will open his mouth on the reverse purr. It is not too often, but will try to get a video of it next time.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, such a history Flowerbelle has!  Thank you for sharing. 
  It seems you are covering every possible scenario.

Maybe Stan will want to bring the Baytril dosage down now that she's been on the higher dosage for a couple weeks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anxious to see/hear the video of "reverse purring".  I have NO IDEA what that sounds like

Glad she seems to be doing well even though she's got whatever she's got going on

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Flowerbelle :heart3:. I, too, am interested in hearing the reverse purr if you can record it. I'm having trouble envisioning it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll do my best! Given it doesn't happen each time, I don't necessarily have the camera ready to take video. :lol3: I want to capture it for the vets though, so you all will likely be the first to see it. :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the "reverse purr" has only happened one or two more times, and I didn't catch it on video.

BUT we do have a Flowerbelle update! We were back at the neuro today.

As the long term use of antibiotics have not changed anything, discontinue the antibiotics. (Can't argue with that logic!). As ears, nose and throat are all connected, neuro still believes the weird purr is related to congestion - if not her ears, her sinuses. Flowerbelle may not seem snotty, but she "doesn't eat right away when she has 'the purr' because she is congested - not her nose, her sinuses."

As it doesn't seem to bother her in any way, give it a month. See how she does without the antibiotics. We may consider an antihistamine at that point, to see if we're dealing with sinus congestion.

I HAVE noticed that when Flowerbelle jumps down now, sometimes she'll stumble a bit, then shake her head, and then trot off. That's new, within the past month or so. But it doesn't happen frequently. The vet believes this is just a sign that the fluid is back in one or both of her ears.

If more fluid has collected in her inner ears... A) It's not worth another CT scan to find out; B) Given her weird purr started to return just a few days after the procedure to remove the fluid from her inner ears, there's no point to removing the fluid, they'll just fill again. She did a full exam (the neuro thing, which is cool). In her estimation, Flowerbelle is "definitely not" in any pain.

SO: no more antibiotics. Wait a month! :lol3:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update!  Too bad the antibiotics didn't change anything.

Hmm...the jumping down thing is a bit strange.  
  I suppose the impact of the landing could shake things up a bit.

Glad to hear she's not in pain. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Well, that's good she's not on antibiotics anymore, & that she isn't in any pain.  The head shaking makes sense if there is fluid in her ears again & a little balance issue.

That makes me think of something. It may be a long shot, but always worth a try.

Do you know any of Chiropractors in your area that have gotten certified, or licensed (not sure which they do), for pets?  (we have one here)

Maybe your Holistic vet can weigh in on this. (& know someone).

The fluid in the ears make me think of this, because I know Chiropractic helps a lot of little kids w/ this issue & most of the time prevents them from having to get surgery for tubes in the ears.

(My nephew had the surgery years ago, & I wish my sister would have tried that first). 

Something is not flowing right, or is interrupted because of misalignment, an adjustment or two may help restore things so to speak, so they can flow where they are supposed to & not go to the wrong place.

It's worth checking out, hopefully, I thought of it (was given to me)  for a good reason. 

I hope that made sense, & helps!  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE PILLS (for now anyway.. :lol3:) Momma and Flowerbelle must be so happy about that and for the rather good update/report. I do wish for her to at the very least - just stay the same - so you are able to just easily manage her symptoms and things don't get too complicated! ;) :cross: I say that with crossed fingers and knocking wood :lol3: Keep things simple AND at least you are getting some answers. :nod: :bigthumb: Regardless, she could not, absolutely not be more loved, more cared for or more HAPPY!!! And, she is ONE happy girl, that I am sure of. :high5: :heart2: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the next month !!!!!!! :cross: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: :hugs:

She's been running around like a nut ever since we got home. :lol3: She's so darn cute!

I've been reading up on this ear/sinus congestion thing. Obviously most of the discussion is as re: infection, which apparently is NOT the case with Flowerbelle. But the relationship is pretty clear. And I have allergies, and my sinuses get stuffy all the time - and it drips down my throat, not necessarily out my nose. So I'm thinking it's entirely possible her sinuses are stuffy at times, even though she never seems snotty (as in never).

I don't know if there are decongestants in cats. I know antihistamines didn't really work so well for me - I need the decongestant. But these are things to ask the doc when we're back. But it seems very much like one or the other of those may really help!

Kelly, that's really interesting about the chiropractor. It's certainly worth looking into, thanks!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's been running around like a nut ever since we got home. :lol3: She's so darn cute!
YES - CUTE, DELIGHTFUL, ADORABLE, PRECIOUS, SWEET, BEAUTIFUL, should I go on. :lol3: SHE is all of those things and more. Glad to hear that she was feeling so good and hope that continues on and on and on and on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :cross: :bigthumb:

Yep - completely agree that the association of the ear/sinus is the driving factor of Flowerbelle's condition. I know that some of the human antihistamines are perfectly safe for kitties but not sure on decongestants but a good thing to add to the list of questions for her next appt. Would be good to know if there was a combo or just a safe decongestant for cats - even OTC. I would think just as for people, some of these medications will work in some cases and not in others. In a perfect world, :lol3:, it would be so simple and straightforward. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK. We weren't able to get back to the neuro because of the issues going on with Gary's oral surgeries. But I called her, they faxed over the list of antihistamines and doses, and we started with the zyrtec. We saw no change.

BUT... the revved up purr episodes were getting WORSE. ALWAYS before meal time. And now not to the point that she would wander around on the counter, but she'd go lie down, stretch out her neck, and CLEARLY be in breathing distress.

So I decided that this IS the result of her asthma.

And I revisited turmeric (curcumin). We will keep track of her blood pressure, as in one study, the use of curcumin extract did cause hypertension in one individual (though the typical concern is that it is a blood thinner. So either way, as Flowerbelle is on blood pressure medication, we'll stay on top of that).

That said.... knock wood...

I THINK WE HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We purchased a crate to set up as an oxygen tent for her. These breathing episodes were happening VERY frequently, ALWAYS before a meal when she gets excited, and she used to finish her meals before I was even done prepping the rest of the meals. Now? She couldn't even start eating until everyone else was finished. These were now lasting 10, 15, 20 minutes. :bawling:

Here is a quick overview of the studies on turmeric (curcumin extract combined with peperine - black pepper extract - to increase the bioavailabiity of curcumin, because the bioavailability is so poor) and asthma: http://www.livestrong.com/article/472654-turmeric-asthma/

I decided to try it, as other research had found it to be more effective than corticosteroids, with less side-effects, and less potential to mess with her blood pressure or heart.

I ordered a 500mg supplement. I measured out how many of my smallest mini-measuring spoons were in the capsule (answer: 16). So each 1/64 teaspoon would be 31.5mg.

Doses in cats were hard to nail down, but I was finding 100mg - 200+mg, though the weights of the cats were not mentioned.

Flowerbelle weighs 7.25 pounds.

I decided to start with 1/64 teaspoon per meal. That was Saturday at dinner time.

By Sunday morning (she'd had two doses), she was able to purr excitedly for her meal - and EAT IT. No revved up purr.

Given that we are now 7 meals into it and two full days behind us - I am fairly confident this is NOT a coincidence. She has been able to eat EVERY SINGLE MEAL, purring, with NO revved up purr, no breathing issues.

In fact, she has had 2 purring/breathing incidents that I'm aware of, both maybe 20 seconds long since Saturday night. (It is Monday night as I post this).

So... knock wood. But I think we're beyond what could be considered a coincidence. :)

I'll keep you posted....

:cross:

:D

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ordered a 500mg supplement. I measured out how many of my smallest mini-measuring spoons were in the capsule (answer: 16). So each 1/64 teaspoon would be 31.5mg.

Flowerbelle weighs 7.25 pounds.

I decided to start with 1/64 teaspoon per meal.

So... knock wood. But I think we're beyond what could be considered a coincidence. :)

:cross:

:D
OH dear.... First off - I am really, really sorry to hear that Flowerbelle's attacks at meal time had gotten so bad. :bawling: BUT - HOW BRILLIANT, Laurie !!!!!! TURMERIC !!!!!! As you already know, I used this for Wilbur. In fact, I am going to give this to Wendall. BUT, isn't it a bit bitter?? Flowerbelle is eating it right up? I think Wendall will too because he is my little easy keeper. Wendall weighs 14 pounds. Yes, I know, he is a bit plump. SO would he get about 60 mgs. of Turmeric - 1/32 tsp then? Seriously, this is definitely worth a try and I did not even think of trying this supplement but somehow you just bring these things to the surface and I thank you for that !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :high5: :clap::clap::clap:

MEGA MEGA vibes that her episodes are going to stay under control with this addition. I DO think you are past this being a coincidence. :bigthumb:

p.s. Another idea for an oxygen tank because the shelter uses this. It is one of those Sterilite clear containers with the lid. They cut a hole in the side and attach the tube. Also used for nebulizing. Either way - excellent idea on the oxygen tank for your little girl. :rub: :hugs:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, there's so little peperine in it, it isn't bitter. It's quite mild, and the FIVtherapy website mentions that as it is mild, most kitties eat it.

I ordered this one for Flowerbelle:
Actually, I think I ordered it from the Swanson Vitamin site.

But even for Wendall, I'd start with the smaller dose, and increase if necessary.

The best thing? There are more studies done on turmeric (curcumin extracts) and arthritis - so it should help her with that too!!!! :D

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - we have meal #7 under our belt with no breathing episode! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It was getting to the point where she was having enough trouble getting air that her lips and nose would turn white. :( :( :( That's why we made the oxygen tent (we have high flow oxygen here because of Gary). But she hasn't needed it now - and hopefully won't. :cross:

She did have a short purr/breathing episode when I first went out to say good morning to everyone - but it lasted maybe 20 seconds. :D

So knock wood, cross your fingers etc. ;)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Flowerbelle's episodes have gotten worse, but I do hope the turmeric/curcumin helps. 
  I did a considerable amount of research on this when looking at options for Sebastian. I decided against it because of it's potential to cause digestive upset and acid reflux - not good for my kitty already having tummy troubles. But for what you are using it for...sounds really promising! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make that "had" gotten worse. ;) :) And the curcumin is already helping. :clap:

Is Sebastian on steroids? Because it's basically the same risk if they're given orally. In fact - given the small amount needed, I'm thinking less of a risk, potentially. I've just started the process of switching Lazlo from steroids to turmeric (which as additional anti-cancer properties, being a strong antioxidant).

Last edited: