Ok I did it - new kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zoey plays too rough.. Saki lets out these meows like Zoey is killing him.. I dont know what to do.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time they will just be playing. My cats often play rough with one another and let out horrible cries, but if you break them up, then they get upset. Within a few minutes they are grooming each other!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I'm not crazy and paranoid then?? If I break them up, they just go back for more.

I dont think Saki is going to cuddle
He is too busy hanging out with Zoey, and since Zoey doesnt cuddle I fear I am going to be stuck with 2 cats that cuddle with each other and not me

Last nite they both slept on the window perch above the bed - TOGETHER. I couldnt believe it. I woke up at 2am, they were sleeping, I woke up at 4am and Saki was walking all over me and my fiancee, I woke up at 5am and the two of them were goin at it again all over the house.

I am so tired.

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
Welcome to the world of multipule cats in the house. We had one cat for a year. Now we have 3 indoor cats. AND NOW I WEAR EAR PLUGS to bed because the cats start running and playing through the house at midnight to 3 or 4 in the morning

Our older cat BK and one of the younger cats Nemo play really rough, I have watched them and the rough play has gotten less and less. Sometime I will get something to distract them and focus their attention onto something else. Like a box with small balls in it, toy on a string etc.
Good luck, it does get better

Clara

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Ok so I'm not crazy and paranoid then?? If I break them up, they just go back for more. "

If he keeps going back for more, she's not hurting him nearly as bad as it sounds like to you. When we were raising kittens, you'd hear them sounding like someone was killing them, separate them, and right back at it they would go ! I think some of that noise is supposed to be intimidating or something.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not wake up last nite until 6:30 this morning.
The monsters must have behaved themselves last nite

Ok, I think I'm screwed.. Saki has been sleeping with ZOEY the last 2 nights.
What is his problem?? I thought kittens loved to sleep on humans faces n things. *sigh* Saki has to be wherever Zoey is.. so they sleep on the perch. That DREADED perch!!
I'll go crazy if I end up with 2 non snugglers
I get so jealous when I read about people that post their cats annoy them by sleeping on their heads etc and how can they stop this etc.. and I WANT them to sleep on me and it doesnt happen. Ok anyone want to trade cats

He does give me mouth and face headbonks, and licks my nose but only when he's not busy messing with Zoey.. and that's like, barely ever

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat
I did not wake up last nite until 6:30 this morning.
The monsters must have behaved themselves last nite

What is his problem?? I thought kittens loved to sleep on humans faces n things. *sigh* Saki has to be wherever Zoey is.. so they sleep on the perch. That DREADED perch!!
I get so jealous when I read about people that post their cats annoy them by sleeping on their heads etc and how can they stop this etc.. and I WANT them to sleep on me and it doesnt happen. Ok anyone want to trade cats

He does give me mouth and face headbonks, and licks my nose but only when he's not busy messing with Zoey.. and that's like, barely ever
Sicy,
He's a baby! He ended up in a shelter and now he must think he's landed back with family (which he has). His relationship with you will be different than it is with her but right now he's being a baby and snuggling up to the dominant adult in his life <G>. If you aren't already, have seperate play and cuddle sessions with each, each day...here you will build your one on one relationship with him, and I think with the head bonks and nose kisses he's going to be a very affectionate fellow, who will eventually not need the security of snuggling with his "found family member" Zoey, but will snuggle with you.

there, another 2 cents for you <G>

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hurray, Sicy!

I was thrilled to hear of your newest kitten! It sounds like you really have your hands full now.

As far as the play-fighting between Zoey and the new baby - what I decided to do (more to ease my mind than theirs, I think) was - when they'd make any noises that sounded like one was getting too rough, I'd just say - "play nice" in a normal voice and they'd break it up just for a moment since "mommy" was talking, but they'd go right back at it and no more squeaks. I agree with everybody else - if the little one is going back for more - he's okay.

I hope your little guy turns into a snuggler (for your sake). I felt the same way and ended up getting my snuggly girl - but on occasion, she'll go sleep in the basement on the computer chair. I usually will go down before I go to bed and get her. I know you're not normally supposed to do that - but hubby says - she's still a kitten and it won't hurt to get her into a routine. Cats are, after all, creatures of habit.

Best of Luck to you! I loved the pics and look forward to hearing about more of Zoey and Saki's antics.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Pat and Sandi. At least Saki doesnt mind being picked up (so far). Zoey absolutely hates it. And btw I dont think he had a family before the shelter.... I think the kittens were found on the street.. him and his brother and sister at age 7 weeks. I felt so bad when I took him away from his siblings!
I couldnt decide between him and his brother. It was nuts.. I kept pulling one card then I'd go to the front and wait for the counselor to get him.. then the counselor was busy, so I went back and held them both again, then I picked the other card.. lol.. they both looked the same, except his brother's eyes were more of a yellow/orange than yellow/green .. and he kept biting me, so I ended up finally choosing Saki.

Yeah that's another thing... he haddnt bitten me at all until he started playing with Zoey.. now when he's hyper he comes and tries to bite my feet or hands but then sometimes ends up licking them after. Zoey better not be teaching him to bite!! I am going to do my best to stop this while he is young. I remove my hands when he starts biting and I try to find a toy quickly.

His stool looked just a *bit* softer than normal. I think because he keeps eating Zoey's food!! Arg. I should get some canned pumpkin I guess for his food.

Ok I've rambled enough for one breath

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the biting should end after say a few months, keep his teeth on a toy and say "no" very firmly when he tries your hands. JB was that way, very playful, but he knows better now. Even though we will rough play every now and then, he would lick my hand after biting it a bit too hard. awww I do hope he is a snuggler, I miss that of my JB, he was a snuggler when he was little but I moved around too much, so he sleeps next to my hubby
then again I have my son who likes to snuggle

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat
I don't know Sicy... at first, when reading about everyone's snuggley cats, I was a bit envious. Spike likes to be near me, but not on me. And he likes being pet, when he wants it, but he just won't let me pet him for MY sake. And he dislikes being picked up, although he does humor me on occasion for about 10 seconds at a time.

Anyway, a couple months back, I was knitting a large blanket, and Spike decided that he wanted to lie on it. Well, it just happened to be on top of me because there's nowhere else to put it when you're knitting. So Spike slept on me for something like 3 hours. I REFUSED to get up because he never sleeps on me. During this time, my legs fell asleep to the point where it was painful, and I needed to use the little girls' room. I was so happy when he woke up and moved!
Well, kind of happy, for the moment anyway.

My point is, cuddley cats CAN be overrated. Well, maybe not, but non-cuddley cats are definitely underrated.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every kitten I've ever had, bites playfully. The only cuddly cat I have in Snoopy, my 18 year boy. I don't know if my Bengal, Simba will be cuddly. But I have a sad feeling he won't. He's too playful to be cuddly. All he wants to do is play. Now, I feel the same way you do, because my Bengal loves my 6 year old cat, more than he does me. I hope this isn't the way it will always be, but right now, he only seems to care about me, when it's time to eat.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by jgaruba
I don't know Sicy... at first, when reading about everyone's snuggley cats, I was a bit envious. Spike likes to be near me, but not on me. And he likes being pet, when he wants it, but he just won't let me pet him for MY sake. And he dislikes being picked up, although he does humor me on occasion for about 10 seconds at a time.
Holy crap that sounds exactly like Zoey.
The other day she actually came and layed down right next to me on the bed, while Saki was in the perch and my fiancee was on his computer.. well I pet her and she was letting me for like 10 minutes.. it was a miricle.

Yep hope.. I think that's what's going to happen here with Saki too. Sadly. We'll see.. he's only 11 weeks so, things could change I spose.

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, your little baby is really sweet!
Your Saki and Zoey will become friends soon, you'll see!
I adopted a 9 month old cornish-rex, and he disliked all my 5 cats. So I had nothing to do exept one thing - wait.
Can't say they are best friends now, but they eat together, sleep together and almost do not have objections
But first three weaks were really difficult, I must say!

Good luck!

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sicy, from the pictures, it looks like Zoey is a high-energy kitty. It's the same way with Spike. I mean, he sleeps a ton and all like most cats, but when he's awake, he loves to be running around, jumping, playing, chasing things, etc. I wonder if that character trait has anything to do with their non-snuggley tendencies.

And Saki may turn into a snugglebug. As a baby, Spike did sleep on me. On my tummy, my legs, and my head when I went to bed. After a few months, he went from there to sleeping just above my head on my pillow.. to sleeping at the foot of the bed. I was a bit sad at first, but if it makes him happy to sleep near me instead of on me, I can deal. And use the bathroom when I need to.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going awwwwwfully well.

I wouldn't be too quick to think that Saki will favour Zoey over his human. It's wonderful that they are developing such a good relationship so quickly, and that they play together. She'll teach him all the important Cat Things. The biting shouldn't be a problem if you continue gently correcting him by removing the hand and substituting something more appropriate.

As for cuddling, he's too young to do much cuddling, especially when there are so many interesting Cat Things to learn and do. As he gets older and starts to mellow out, he'll be more interested in cuddles. Our youngsters are just over 2 (actually about 28 months). Fawn doesn't mind being picked up, briefly, but she's no lap cat; she's still got ants in her pants. Maybe one day she'll settle down enough -- who knows?

Cindy, on the other hand, is in the last few months becoming a lovely lap cat, especially at bedtime, when she waits for me to come to bed. She's usually right in the way, and I have to lift her up to get under the covers. Then I put her down on top of the covers and she finds her place snuggled between my legs. She loves to be picked up and walked the way you do a fussy baby. I think she'll be an awesome cuddler -- eventually. Point is, she's quite a bit older. Give the lad time -- and all the cuddles he'll allow, so that he learns to love 'em.

I think you have a splendid pair, Sicy, and they're going to give you a lot of joy and fun.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, last nite the brats decided to start playing at 1am! RIGHT after we'd gone to bed
So after like an hour I couldnt stand it anymore and put Saki in the bathroom

This morning my fiancee left for work and I was still sleeping, I have the day off today. But anyway, Unbelievable: ZOEY, came up on the bed and curled up right next to me purring. I almost had a half asleep heart attack.
What was even cuter was she stretched her legs over my hand, and her toes were touching my mouth. This is like a miricle ok.. lol.. Zoey never ever cuddles or sleeps near me. Then she left after maybe half hour, then she came back later and sat by me AGAIN. and I pet her and she was loving it. This is so weird and so awesome that I almost started crying with joy LOL!!! I didnt even want to get out of bed at this point.

I just had to share that.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sweet - the new kitty is bringing out her loving instincts!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like all is going to be well, and even better with Zoey. I'm so pleased for all of you (cats included!)