OK - here goes. We're adopting a daughter and she needs prayers.

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Laurie,

I think you two are so strong to open your lives up to something so hard to deal with!

There is a whole subculture of drug addiction, poverty, miseducation and misguided values that feeds a huge group of people who have lost the will to help themselves--and the system makes it possible to barely survive (but survive nonetheless). It is so hard to get out of that life and that world.

After spending time with those that live on the streets, and watching my parents experience the heartache that they went through with Denita, I am left even more hopeless. There is no answer other than to change the value system that feeds this culture--throwing money at the problem will make it so much worse. In Denita's opinion, success is getting something for nothing(and what she defines as "nothing" would astound most)--whether that be "free" drugs, checks from the Gov,etc.

I think I lost hope when I heard her refer to another mother at the home as "lucky because she gets twice as much a month for her kid." The kid she was referring to has cycle cell anemia and the extra money the mother was getting to afford medicines ended up being used to buy drugs.

How do you help someone when their definition of "success" is so far down in your own definition of failure?

I have nothing but prayers for you and your husband, and for Naomi. Unfortunately this drug has so much power over it's users...it becomes their only reason for living--which is tragic.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie,

What an amazing person you are!! Really... This is the most amazing thing, I've ever read. Your truly a diamond in the dark abyss of drugs!

My ex- brother in law, had gone through some major mental stuff, and then became a Herroine Addict and he had a wife, and two children. My sister was his wife,, and she tried and did everything she could to help him,, but he felt the drugs were more important then anything. He became violent and mentally abusive to her, and spent every dime they had on drugs. Her dream of her family became a crumbled mess, and the sad part is they had soo much love for each other... It just wasn't enough... He was never ever ready to go to detox or any program, and no matter how many interventions they tried,, he never cared...... It's soo sad how this one little thing, can engulf one's life..... I'm sorry that Naomi is going through this,, and that you both are going through this....

Lots of prayers,,,,,
Heather

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may not read this late resonce, but I just LOVED that story. I read it two a friend on the fphone, and we were both touched.

You really have such love for this girl. I have two write an essay on current events for class tomorrow, and I now have my article.

That was the most amazing story I've ever heard.

It really touched my heart, and I hope that everything goes smoothly with her life. If she is or isn't HIV positive, I will be,ive in her greatly. I know she can do this.

Good luck in everything that may come your and her ways.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW. That is all I can say. Laurie, I already had so much respect & admiration for you before. Just by reading about Samoa, and the site savesamoa.org and how you & Heidi & everyone put it all together. And your work with your ferals. And how you went SO FAR out of your way to help that sweet kitty from a far away place....I thought, WOW, what a good, amazing person. But now, I am truly in awe. You and Gary are such selfless people, and so inspiring to read/hear about. You two are angels. You make me want to be a better person. I am sorry that you both are going through such heartache, but happy that you both are experiencing the love of a mother & father, as painstaking as it is. Naomi is lucky to have your love & support, and I'm sure that even in her current state she does know that. I will keep her in my heart & in my prayers, as she has a long hard struggle ahead of her. And I will keep you both in my prayers as well, as I'm sure you guys will be needing them too! God bless you both!

kituppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
any updates on Naomi? that is so awesome what you guys are doing for her!! She will realize it one day..

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I for one, am so very, very proud and grateful to have had a chance to know people like you and Gary.

And as the song goes:

"May the Good Lord be with you down every road you roam"
"And may sunshine and happiness surround when you when you're far from home."
"And may you grow to be proud, dignified and true,"
"And do unto others as you'd had done to yoU."

Be courageous and be brave.

Lots of love and hugs and caring headbuts and love you licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - time for another update! We did manage to get the police issue straightened out. But our Holiday surprise this year is that Naomi called from the place in upstate New York to say she'd checked in voluntarily.

She's chosen to try to detox using methadone again. She just isn't ready to deal with full-on withdrawal/detox, which is really a shame. I'm encouraged by this - but given that's she's chosen to go the methadone route, I'm not real hopeful. We'll see.

Anyway, I don't think I posted other pics - I really don't remember. So I hope I'm not repeating photos.

Of course, I don't have any recent ones.

This was very shortly after Naomi first moved in with us - she used to put on just about all the clothes she had - even after we bought her quite a number of things. That's why the closet looks empty! She's got on about 10 layers of clothes!

Unfortunately, this was what she usually looked like: nodding off while high on heroin.

This was the night before she went into detox the first time:

...and this is Naomi after the program:

And, finally, this is what Naomi looks like when she's off in schizo-land:

I'm really happy she's checked in to detox. I don't mean to be discouraging, but we've been through this a lot now. But I've got my fingers crossed, and, as always, she remains in my prayers.

Laurie

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love you Laurie. Wherever she is, she's right where she's supposed to be right now. If you ever need to talk please PM me.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie she is such a beautiful girl!!! I totally understand the feeling of here we go again and still have a positive outlook.

I wish you and your family all the best!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Laurie, KittenKiya's Clan sends ALL their love and hugs and kitty kisses and headbuts and licks to support you in all your work. We love you.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is sitting there waiting for you to love her, and you do. She may never completely conquer her demons, but she knows love. In spite of the looks, the rolled eyes, the "whatevers", she knows.

to you and Gary for your strength in loving this young woman through it all.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you are amazing for sticking with her..and Neet is right, she knows you are there for her..

I hope the detox works

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

She is sitting there waiting for you to love her, and you do. She may never completely conquer her demons, but she knows love. In spite of the looks, the rolled eyes, the "whatevers", she knows.

Very well said, Neet.

Continued prayers for Naomi, and for you and Gary to stay strong for her.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read your posts in this thread, and all I can say is wow!

I forgot what page you posted that she had at one time while staying with you expressed interest in going into a 'nurse-type' career. As a nurse she would be around narcotics, not a good thing for an addict to be around. Too much temptation. It would be like an alcoholic wanting to bartend or going to work in a distillery. Far too much temptation. If she ever does straighten hreself out and wants to pursue an education, something where she can help people, but not be around drugs would be my recommendation.

Originally Posted by LDG

The calls and short visits became less frequent. I'd eventually get a response to most e-mails - but she would never answer anything I asked, and communication was very disjointed.
I'm sorry that this didn't have the happy ending which you had initially envisioned it would

Originally Posted by LDG

Naomi called from the place in upstate New York to say she'd checked in voluntarily.

She's chosen to try to detox using methadone again. She just isn't ready to deal with full-on withdrawal/detox, which is really a shame. I'm encouraged by this - but given that's she's chosen to go the methadone route, I'm not real hopeful. We'll see.
Such a shame. She looks like a beautiful young woman. Such a shame that she is wasting her life away through drug addiction.

I agree with you about the slim chance of success in a methadone program. While many think that these programs are the way to go, and it might be for some, it's essentially trading one addiction for another and simply lowers an addicts dose tolerance to their drug route of choice allowing for them to have a cheaper high from their chosen route. The number of addicts that use these types of programs to supplement their addiction is staggering.

Naomi has a number of issues, and it won't be easy, if it's even possible, for her to kick her habit.

But never say never, and never quit trying.

I do wish her well and hope that one day she does succeed and that when she does, it's not too late for her because each day she's on the street shooting up and selling herself for dope or begging for money, is another day closer to getting HIV/AIDS/HEP C or being murdered.

Bless you for trying to help this young woman when her parents gave up on her.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so good that she is in touch with you, especially at this time of the year. You are amazing for all you have done/are doing for Naomi and I hope that one day she really realizes what she has put you through.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Can't say it any better than that

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, God Bless you & your husband and your daughter Naomi!
You are an amazing, awe inspiring person, and I am truly in awe at your capability to love. You, Gary & especially Naomi are in my prayers..... and even if Naomi never comes out of this addiction, at least she has some sense of "home", of "family", and of "love", and she has it because of the both of you! God Bless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

...I forgot what page you posted that she had at one time while staying with you expressed interest in going into a 'nurse-type' career. As a nurse she would be around narcotics, not a good thing for an addict to be around. Too much temptation. It would be like an alcoholic wanting to bartend or going to work in a distillery. Far too much temptation. If she ever does straighten hreself out and wants to pursue an education, something where she can help people, but not be around drugs would be my recommendation.
Unfortunately, even if Naomi is able at some point in her life to kick the heroin habit (or a methadone habit), it is very unlikely that she will be able to live any kind of normal life as we know it. Heroin (thus methadone) is a very strong beta blocker. Without the heroin, she is a diagnosed manic depressive, bipolar, paranoid schizophrenic.
Furthermore, she is apparently a juvenile onset schizophrenic, which is unusual and very different from adult onset. Far less is known about it, and it is far more difficult to treat.

When she is off drugs and stabilized, we have a community in which she can live the rest of her life. It is based in Vermont and they produce maple syrup. It is a community for schizophrenics that are not able to live on their own.

We've discussed this with Naomi at numerous points along the way. She understand this option exists - depending upon where her head is.

Unfortunately, as a drug addict, she has "freedom" (certainly not my definition of freedom - but she doesn't have anyone telling her what to do).

The pattern, so far, is to check into a clinic whenever the habit gets to difficult to manage (too expensive). However - there are a lot of methadone clinics out there that hand the stuff out free and without counseling. So that she checked into the program is what is encouraging.

...and thank you all for the good will, prayers and vibes for Naomi! I don't know how this story ends, but she is a beautiful young woman, and there's a part of her that cares deeply about people. I just hope she's able to care enough about herself.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Unfortunately, even if Naomi is able at some point in her life to kick the heroin habit (or a methadone habit), it is very unlikely that she will be able to live any kind of normal life as we know it. Heroin (thus methadone) is a very strong beta blocker. Without the heroin, she is a diagnosed manic depressive, bipolar, paranoid schizophrenic.
Furthermore, she is apparently a juvenile onset schizophrenic, which is unusual and very different from adult onset. Far less is known about it, and it is far more difficult to treat.

When she is off drugs and stabilized, we have a community in which she can live the rest of her life. It is based in Vermont and they produce maple syrup. It is a community for schizophrenics that are not able to live on their own.

We've discussed this with Naomi at numerous points along the way. She understand this option exists - depending upon where her head is.

Unfortunately, as a drug addict, she has "freedom" (certainly not my definition of freedom - but she doesn't have anyone telling her what to do).

The pattern, so far, is to check into a clinic whenever the habit gets to difficult to manage (too expensive). However - there are a lot of methadone clinics out there that hand the stuff out free and without counseling. So that she checked into the program is what is encouraging.

...and thank you all for the good will, prayers and vibes for Naomi! I don't know how this story ends, but she is a beautiful young woman, and there's a part of her that cares deeply about people. I just hope she's able to care enough about herself.
You know, there is another option available.

If she were declared mentally incompetent, which by the sounds of what you say she really is because she's strung out on drugs which hinders mental capacity and when not on drugs she's psychotic and can't function on her own, then the choice of what she does is taken away.

She could then be committed against her will to a treatment program or psych facility. The freedom to decide her own medical fate would be removed from her and she would be forced to take the treatment and finish it and wouldn't be able to sign herself out.

Has that been an avenue that you and your husband have explored?