Oh, swellerific. A blizzard is coming

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We're supposed to get up to 18+ of snow this weekend, and high winds. I hope all of you that are in the storm's range stay safe!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather person here said a quarter to half an inch of ice and that we should be prepared to go without power for a few days.  Glad I have a couple of feline bedwarmers! 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know how much we're supposed to get here in western NC but I got all my groceries in.  I think we're supposed to get about 6 inches.  I was supposed to work all weekend :(

Edited:  Ok I just now saw a prediction of 12 to 21 inches for our city...omg!  We've never had that much before!

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
We're predicted to get 24 inches. I'm as ready as I can be though I wish I still had a car so I could charge my phone if the power goes out!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dear I hope the power doesn't go out, but if it does, I have gas logs for warmth.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for all you guys in the Northeast! I was seeing a story on the news today about how DC got hit and cars were just sliding on the roads. Cars that were in park were sliding down the hilly roads. Freaky stuff. Hope all of you and your critters stay safe!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm expecting this weather too.  How much depends on whose forecast you look at.  

I've already done my shopping and DH will be bringing more firewood up to the house.  Unfortunately our washer broke so now I need to rush to my mother's in the morning to try to get laundry done.  

I am SO not excited about this.  I don't understand why people are!  2 feet of snow and possible power outages just do not sound like a good time to me.  I'm really thankful we have the wood stove!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

We're supposed to get up to 18+ of snow this weekend, and high winds. I hope all of you that are in the storm's range stay safe!
I thought about you when I saw the forecasts. Your area is going to get hammered. We're expecting 2-4 inches. Or 4-8 inches. In other words, we're right in that area that's on the borderline between the two amounts, so it's pretty much a toss-up. I'm just glad that it's on Saturday, which will give us some time on Sunday to dig ourselves out before having to go to work on Monday. 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope we don't lose power...we don't have a fireplace or a generator, being in a townhouse.  We would have to just cuddle with the cats and blankets until it comes back on!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you guys luck!!

We are on the edges of it also.. they are saying 3 inches although near the coast, where I am it can go up to 6 inches...I do not think they know....

stay warm with the kitties....

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've got 4 inches here in western NC as of right now.  More to come.  I'm washing all the clothes and dishes now!  Hopefully the power won't go out but just in case it does....

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
 Our forecast in the Washington-Baltimore area has been updated to 30 inches! 
    I thought I was prepared but then realized that if the power actually does go out, I can't cook anything. 
  I guess I will be living on power bars, cookies and cold canned soup.   But I guess I will still have it easier than anyone (including feral cats) outside so I shouldn't complain!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

I thought about you when I saw the forecasts. Your area is going to get hammered. We're expecting 2-4 inches. Or 4-8 inches. In other words, we're right in that area that's on the borderline between the two amounts, so it's pretty much a toss-up. I'm just glad that it's on Saturday, which will give us some time on Sunday to dig ourselves out before having to go to work on Monday. 
I've heard 3-9 + for me depending on how it tracks. :rolleyes: They all agree it will be plowable though.

Stay safe all of you! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't watched the weather report today, but we got the freezing rain before the snow.  We are due for alternating snow and freezing rain tonight with high winds.    

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry about how cold it would be if the power should go out but also I am very concerned about the food in the fridge, I wouldn't want everything to get spoiled.  I am already getting stressed about all of this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's cold outside, put everything out there :D. You can also get dry ice, that will keep your frozen stuff frozen and it's not too expensive.

Wow, 30 inches! That really is a snowpocalypse. Even the plows can't handle that much at once. Hopefully it won't be that much.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if your freezer goes out, you can put you stuff outside, providing you are able to open a window or door. 

Same with refrigerator. You can use empty ice chests. or extra new litter boxes, if you have any. Or just plastic trash bags,...it will stay cold.

I always order pizza just before a storm. I can eat that cold. 

make sure you have extra batteries, and blankets. And a land line if possible. That is an added expense, but I still keep mine. 

I have a battery powered old radio that I have kept for emergencies. It will keep you updated. I also bought some camp lanterns which run on battery

Call the police if you do not feel safe. or the fire department. They should have warming shelters established. Although, I am not sure if you can take your kitties to them. 

If you have a thermos, fill it up with hot water before you think something can happen. It will stay warm for quite a while. or make coffee to put in there. 

You can always use your grill if there is a power loss...

In other words:

Please be careful...stay indoors, do not go out, unless it is to clean snow. Take is slow and easy with the snow. If you if it is too much, see if one of your neighbor's can help.

Check on the elderly and your neighbors.

keep the gas vents (outside) clear. Carbon monoxide is a killer.

Stay safe and please keep us updated, if you are able to do so..

((hugs)) to all..

ps  I sound like a know it all, but I have lived through the Blizzard of 78, and the megawinter last year. I also lived through the blackout of "64...

My parents were the ones who helped out the neighbors. 

I had to be prepared because I was taking care of my dad, and he had to be comfortable and as warm as could be...that was when he was alive...

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to apologize for this blizzard.  It's all my fault.  

I've noticed that whenever I buy a big bag of rock salt, it does not snow again the rest of the winter, and sometimes even the next winter too.  Please forgive my carelessness and negligence of the administration of my powers over winter weather!  However, this power usually only works in my city.  If you live elsewhere, I'm not responsible!

Last edited: