Oh, swellerific. A blizzard is coming

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Wow, we didn't get anything near the accumulations some of you guys got.  

Sadly, there were some weather related deaths in my state.  And a good Samaritan was shot trying to assist a stranded motorist.  I don't even know what to say about that...it just breaks my heart.  
Oh, that is awful! Were they shot by the person they were trying to help? It's no wonder so many people just turn a blind eye to anyone in trouble these days.

It got down to -20C here last night. The wet food and the water in the cats bowls was frozen solid when I got up this morning, but my cat door was still working.

Thanks for the tip @Catapault

We're in for a few days of really low temperatures, but by next weekend it should be back up to a balmy -5C average.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, that is awful! Were they shot by the person they were trying to help? It's no wonder so many people just turn a blind eye to anyone in trouble these days.

It got down to -20C here last night. The wet food and the water in the cats bowls was frozen solid when I got up this morning, but my cat door was still working.

:rock:  

We're in for a few days of really low temperatures, but by next weekend it should be back up to a balmy -5C average.

:bigthumb:
I read that story. There were several people who pulled over to help. One car load of people took off and called the police when this guy started waving his gun around but another group of people were not so lucky. The one who was shot did not survive. The psycho driving the stuck car was apparently under the influence of something. Really horrible story on so many levels.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a word of caution for those of you who are able to get out and about in your cars -

When you are parking and back into a space, be very careful that you don't back into a snow drift! The snow will pack into your exhaust pipe and as your car cools down, the snow will freeze and you will have a solid tube of ice in your pipe and your car will NOT restart until it thaws. 
I had a friend do that at work and when she got off at 7:00 A.M., her car wouldn't start. Several of us stayed with her to dig the snow from under her car, then we took turns getting down on our knees (I was MUCH younger then!) and heating up her tail pipe with our cigarette lighters until the ice melted! You really do NOT want to have to do that!
Lucky you were all smokers.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In New Jersey a woman and her 1-year-old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning after sitting in their car with the engine running while the tailpipe was blocked by snow. [New York Times] Husband was shoveling it out.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh no! Did the samaritan die?
He did.  I did not know him, but it still breaks my heart.

Here is a link to the story...I hope it is okay to post here.

http://wncn.com/2016/01/23/nc-sheriff-good-samaritan-fatally-shot-after-stopping-to-help-driver/
I read that story. There were several people who pulled over to help. One car load of people took off and called the police when this guy started waving his gun around but another group of people were not so lucky. The one who was shot did not survive. The psycho driving the stuck car was apparently under the influence of something. Really horrible story on so many levels.
So tragic.  And he was only trying to help.

In New Jersey a woman and her 1-year-old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning after sitting in their car with the engine running while the tailpipe was blocked by snow. [New York Times] Husband was shoveling it out.
That is very sad. 

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 47F outside here right now! I turned the heat off and all my windows are open. It's supposed to drop down to 36F tonight, but stay in the low 40's to mid 50's throughout the week. I doubt I will be turning the heat on again any time soon. With the exception of a few piles of snow that was piled from the snow plows, all the snow here has melted. I am getting more and more excited... Spring is coming! And I can't wait!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to get close to 50 here later this week. I can't wait! I hope most of it melts. Hopefully it won't stick around too long for everyone who got hit hard! Nothing worse then dirty 2-month-old snow. Ugh.

Last edited:

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just a word of caution for those of you who are able to get out and about in your cars -

When you are parking and back into a space, be very careful that you don't back into a snow drift! The snow will pack into your exhaust pipe and as your car cools down, the snow will freeze and you will have a solid tube of ice in your pipe and your car will NOT restart until it thaws. 

I had a friend do that at work and when she got off at 7:00 A.M., her car wouldn't start. Several of us stayed with her to dig the snow from under her car, then we took turns getting down on our knees (I was MUCH younger then!) and heating up her tail pipe with our cigarette lighters until the ice melted! You really do NOT want to have to do that!
I had that same thing happen to me when I was living in Wisconsin in 1992. Man did it seem to take forever to get that ice to melt!

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wow, we didn't get anything near the accumulations some of you guys got.  

Sadly, there were some weather related deaths in my state.  And a good Samaritan was shot trying to assist a stranded motorist.  I don't even know what to say about that...it just breaks my heart.  
How awful that person getting shot, what on earth!? And of course awful about the other deaths as well. Yes, it is heartbreaking for sure. 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It is 47F outside here right now! I turned the heat off and all my windows are open. It's supposed to drop down to 36F tonight, but stay in the low 40's to mid 50's throughout the week. I doubt I will be turning the heat on again any time soon. With the exception of a few piles of snow that was piled from the snow plows, all the snow here has melted. I am getting more and more excited... Spring is coming! And I can't wait!
It is going to be 50 here in Omaha, which is a fluke and I know our spring is still far off, but I gladly appreciate any nice day tossed our way. 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cat door keeps freezing shut.

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop it doing that? I've just sprinkled a little salt around the flap, but with this many cats running in and out all day I don't know if that will work.
Did you remedy it yet? I know vinegar and water sprayed on a windshield the night before keeps ice off a car window, maybe on your cat door? Second idea, 

dawn dish soap keeps ice off sidewalks, maybe Dawn? 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We're supposed to get up to 18+ of snow this weekend, and high winds. I hope all of you that are in the storm's range stay safe!
LOL, I just had to go to the first post in this thread to say that I like your word...swellerific, never heard of it but think it is quite a descriptive fun word.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's so sad that those people died in the snow. I've heard of people succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning because their cars get snowed in.

Some parts of Japan had snow for the first time in over 100 years this week. The south islands are sub tropical, but freak weather conditions pushed the snow clouds down to them.

Did you remedy it yet? I know vinegar and water sprayed on a windshield the night before keeps ice off a car window, maybe on your cat door? Second idea, 

dawn dish soap keeps ice off sidewalks, maybe Dawn? 
Thanks for the tip. I've been putting Vaseline around the cats door and it's working fine.