Nico-Wasting away, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry, he was a beautiful boy. You did everything possible for him. I am heartbroken  he loved you too and fought so hard to stay with you, he was a brave boy.  RIP Nico  

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I am so terribly sorry...............

Speechless, just so very sorry you lost your boy.

You have been such a loving mom, and have done your best for him, he and Sasha will be free spirits together now.

Many hugs and sadness, just was checking in before I go teach my neonatal kitten care class.

Ugh.........

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry to read this.  I've been following this thread from the beginning and really hoped Nico would pull through.  You did everything you could - how I wish there had been a different outcome.  RIP dear Nico. 

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awe. :*( I'm so so so sorry. My heart breaks for you. You tried so hard, as did he. :-( I don't know what to say. I am praying for you. :-( :-( :-(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry.  I've been reading this thread and was hoping for the best.  RIP dear Nico.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Been following also... I'm so sorry, :hugs: You are a very loving and caring cat guardian and he was lucky to have you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My grief and guilt are nerve wracking today. 

- I should have switched practices last summer

- I should gotten him weighed in Jan

- When he collapsed last Sat, after bloodwork, I just wish I had spent more time with him last Sun when he was conscious and eating. Given him pretzels and potato chips and tons of treats, his crunchy stuff that I had promised him all these years I would give before he dies.

- Done scan at vet on Thu, so could have avoided ER visit and antibiotics on Fri, the antibiotics definitely stressed his system,  accelerating the shutdown. The dental abscess gave me false hopes.  Though he had stopped eating on Thu even after supportive care at the vet.

- Taken him to vet on Sat so she could have assessed his vitals, instead of me sitting in false hope.

- Gotten a house vet for Sunday, instead of ER where he had to die with an IV, and tubes and CPR tied to him, all stressed out with 10 strangers. He could have been in my husband's arms in our bedroom. I did not even realize a house vet is an option till after he died, I should have done that.

His outcome would most most likely be no different, I could have made his last days and death more comfortable, if I was more prepared.

I am glad I fed him broth on Saturday and Sunday morning, he had some faculties left and he twitched his tail in appreciation when he could swallow some of it. He gobbled up jars of baby food, 4 in 24 hours.

So thank you all for that suggestion. Food and people were his main joys in life, I hope he got some of that in his last two days.

Sorry for the rambling, please be kind on me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are not rambling, you are grieving.   Your poor Nico was very ill, and as a pet parent you did what you thought was best to keep his stress and suffering to a minimum.  It's hard not to think of the "should haves", but I know it is only natural to think those thoughts, whether is a human or non-human member of the family that you've lost.   However, do try not to dwell on those thoughts.  And be kind to yourself.

Maybe when you're up to it, you can post some pictures and happy memories of Nico in the Crossing the Bridge forum:  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Try not to beat yourself up about the "could haves" and "what ifs". You'll just upset yourself more. Remember instead all that you did do for him, and how much you loved him.

This thread will be closed now, as per TCS policy out of respect for the cat who has passed away. As Rubysmama suggested, you may wish to start a thread about Nico in the Bridge Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.