Nico-Wasting away, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please get him to a vet now!!! I don't want to scare you but time is of the essence here. 
You mean take him to ER? Sorry if i am being dense, but is the reason because he is not able to stand?
His nutrition was urgent, but now that is under control, he has had 3 jars in less than 24 hrs, way beyond our expectations.
He has 20 breaths per minute, so that has improved. He had 12 yesterday afternoon, and 16 at night.

What do you think needs ER visit now, the not sitting/dazed is critical or getting the bloodwork to recheck liver, kidney and amemia because of possible side effects?

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ER called back, they deny this has anything to do with convenia, they think it is just progression of his disease.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I have to agree with the ER vet.

I do not think his inability to stand/walk is the covenia.

I'm not understanding, it might be me, I've gotten pretty busy and try to stay on top of a few different threads here, but aren't we talking about a diagnosis of IBD and a bad tooth?

Nothing found in the way of mass or tumors from his ultrasound?

Still on bup, which is causing an inability to accurately see what his true state is.

Now eating (this is excellent), hydrated, given covenia, bup, is that it?

Look at his gums, what color are they? Either chalk white, white with a hint of pink, pale pink, and pink.

Are you able to see his bad tooth? If so, are the gums surrounding it red/inflammed?

What has been his daily food long term prior to this?

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I have to agree with the ER vet.
I do not think his inability to stand/walk is the covenia.

I'm not understanding, it might be me, I've gotten pretty busy and try to stay on top of a few different threads here, but aren't we talking about a diagnosis of IBD and a bad tooth?
Nothing found in the way of mass or tumors from his ultrasound?

Still on bup, which is causing an inability to accurately see what his true state is.
Now eating (this is excellent), hydrated, given covenia, bup, is that it?

Look at his gums, what color are they? Either chalk white, white with a hint of pink, pale pink, and pink.

Are you able to see his bad tooth? If so, are the gums surrounding it red/inflammed?

What has been his daily food long term prior to this?
Yes IBD for 3 years, 1/2 pred daily but scan says everythung under control. NO tumors.

Diagnosis of pancreatitis, bad tooth and bloodwork showed stage 2 kidney as well.

Thu supportive care meds were bup, cernia, mitz, fluids
Fri at ER- convenia, pepcid, reglan,fluids,bup

Bup at home twice sat, one today.
Pred 1 tab sat night in food

Yes just finished 1 jar of chicken puree for lunch thru syringe.

Gums are pale pink. Cannot see the tooth.

Previous food was Hills RX Id for last 2 years, temptations treats with pred.

Please help, I will stop bup, I agree if he sleeps it is hard to figure out activity. He does not groom himself,no litter box use.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ER might be right about Convenia but I still think getting blood work to rule out serious anemia would be prudent. And now I will keep quite 

Last edited:

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ER might be right about Convenia but I still think getting blood work to rule out serious anemia would be prudent. And now I will keep quite 
Zed, the ER will require hospitalization.
I just tried to stand him over litter box and he cried, brought him back, he threw up the 2nd jar i started and then arched his neck, his whole body got distorted and like it would break, it does look like he is in pain, maybe pancreatitis progressed is what ER said. His eyes are dilated a bit unevenly.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this is happening, it is heartbreaking. I don't know what else to say or recommend. You and Nico are in my thoughts and prayers. 

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this is happening, it is heartbreaking. I don't know what else to say or recommend. You and Nico are in my thoughts and prayers. 
Thank you for your kindness, maybe he will get up tonight? And live another few years, I feel i ignored his weight loss and knee callus earlier this month. My other cat Sasha had hyperthyroidsm and heart disease and diarrhea and i have been taking her every other week, but not him. I really failed him, he must have been miserable with his tooth and pancreas.

But he was jumping up on sofa on wed, tried to jump up chair on thu, running down the stairs on fri. He was wobbly,but the Fri ER visit seems to have shut him down. He did com up Fri night as well on his own. Since yesterday he has not moved, and when i try to lift he gives a deep long moan.

Sorry I am rambling, but Nico and I really appreciate you guys being here and listening.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your kindness, maybe he will get up tonight? And live another few years, I feel i ignored his weight loss and knee callus earlier this month. My other cat Sasha had hyperthyroidsm and heart disease and diarrhea and i have been taking her every other week, but not him. I really failed him, he must have been miserable with his tooth and pancreas.

But he was jumping up on sofa on wed, tried to jump up chair on thu, running down the stairs on fri. He was wobbly,but the Fri ER visit seems to have shut him down. He did com up Fri night as well on his own. Since yesterday he has not moved, and when i try to lift he gives a deep long moan.

Sorry I am rambling, but Nico and I really appreciate you guys being here and listening.
I just don't know what's going on, but something clearly is, beyond pancreatitis and a bad tooth.

I don't like his uneven pupils at all, something is very wrong there.

It does sound like he has gone downhill fast since the ER trip, I also think he needs to be taken in right away, this is not looking good I'm sorry to say.

That is, unless a vet is able to see him and how he has declined so fast in the past few days and fix it somehow depending on the cause.

Are you able to take him now? I hate to hear this is how he is today. Disturbing.......

mukkia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You cannot bkane yourself! I know that you are doing everything in your power to nurture hin back to health, and comfort him.even the most attentive cat mom will NOT become aware that something is wrong with a little one until it progressive, because it is in their genes to mask when they are ill. it helps them in the wild, but sadly it hurts them as a domestic animal. Trust me. I know it is easy to blame yourself, and go through all of the (if's), but you just can't. Like you said, he was playing and jumping. Mukkia was the same way. I had to get myself out of the blaming mode so I can try and think like a veterinarian, because she sure was not. No one knows Nico better than you, and I think you are doing an amazing job at taking care of her needs.

Chin up!

Last edited:

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just don't know what's going on, but something clearly is, beyond pancreatitis and a bad tooth.
I don't like his uneven pupils at all, something is very wrong there.
It does sound like he has gone downhill fast since the ER trip, I also think he needs to be taken in right away, this is not looking good I'm sorry to say.
That is, unless a vet is able to see him and how he has declined so fast in the past few days and fix it somehow depending on the cause.

Are you able to take him now? I hate to hear this is how he is today. Disturbing.......
Thanks, vets are closed, earliest us 9:30 am tomorrow. His vet has already told us to let him go, even on thu when he was walking and eating. Her firm diagnosis is age and body condition.

ER is traumatic, it took 6 hrs on fri, they would pump him with drugs like convenua, and do not want him to die on hospital bed. My vet thinks he wont survive anesthesia. Whereas for Sasha she has suggested multiple treatments for her various conditions relentlessly so i dont think she lacks empathy.

Should i just take him for an oupatient, i doubt that can be the case. Which is worse, taking or not taking?

He has been giving me false hopes everyday, first the tooth, then he ate yesterday and made me happy unfairly.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, vets are closed, earliest us 9:30 am tomorrow. His vet has already told us to let him go, even on thu when he was walking and eating. Her firm diagnosis is age and body condition.

ER is traumatic, it took 6 hrs on fri, they would pump him with drugs like convenua, and do not want him to die on hospital bed. My vet thinks he wont survive anesthesia. Whereas for Sasha she has suggested multiple treatments for her various conditions relentlessly so i dont think she lacks empathy.

Should i just take him for an oupatient, i doubt that can be the case. Which is worse, taking or not taking?

He has been giving me false hopes everyday, first the tooth, then he ate yesterday and made me happy unfairly.
This is just awful, first off he is only 15, cats don't literally die of old age at 15, 22/23 maybe, but something is causing this and as I said before, pancreatitis can't possibly be the only source here.

Uneven pupils?! Drug counter reacting? I just don't know, and I can't even guess anymore on this, which is why I think him being seen will help.

If you can't afford to hospitalize, we all understand that one, it's unfortunate but it is what it is, and no fault or guilt, we do the best that we can, and you are a good, conscientious and caring mom to him, but I hate to hear how he is unable to stand or walk now, something is taking him down and if it can be turned around by him being seen, then give it a try.

The food is helpful, at least we know he is not literally starving to death.

The covenia should be stable and not causing any reactions now either, and if he is seen is ready to be given oral antibiotics now.

I feel for you, and you are constantly in my thoughts.

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am here now at ER checking in. Hoping for the best.

Nico moaned when i put him in, he is just lying down motionless, his breathing is a bit more shallow. They have taken him in for a nurse checkup.

nicosasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is gone. As they started their exam, he had low blood pressure, he was comatose, heart was passing, they did CPR, they asked that he be euthanized. They said his only pain senstivity was legs, no where else, hopefully he did not feel much

Kidney was high, they think it is pancreatitis,cancer cannot be ruled out.

I am glad he only suffered for 3-4 days. My lovely nico, he is a dream now.

Status
Not open for further replies.