Newly diagnosed with stomatitis... others in the same boat, please share your experience.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my almost-11 year old Tonk, Schrödinger was at a new vet for a second opinion. He had been feeling pretty lousy, off his dry food and has had a rough sounding meow. I posted about the first vet visit in another thread, with updates.

The new vet did a much better oral exam and confirmed what I thought was a possibility (among other things)... probably my strongest suspicion yet, along with a respiratory bug.

He has stomatitis-- most likely lymphocytic-plasmocytic type, an autoimmune condition. His poor mouth is SO raw, even after a Depo shot 3 days ago. No wonder he feels so bad, poor little booger! He's currently getting rehydrated because he hasn't been eating or drinking too hot, and his potassium is just a tiny bit below range but the kidneys are fine. We're doing 150 ml of lactated Ringers' with 10 ml of potassium chloride added to the bag, and he will have that for the next 3 days. We also changed his AB to Clavamox, 1 tablet twice daily for 2 weeks. Thankfully he is easy to pill, even with stomatitis!

He also has a broken upper fang, which is indeed into the pulp.

Needless to say, major dental work is in this guy's future. The fang will definitely need to come out, and depending on the outcome of a more thorough exam while he's out-- there is the possibility that he may have several of his back teeth removed. The teeth seem to be good as I do brush them, but multiple extractions are sometimes needed to control the stomatitis. He is FeLV and FIV negative, so this is just 
 Siamese luck.

Now, I have seen many cats that had this done, but very little actual feedback, as I was not on the case. And many of the ones where I was on the case really didn't provide much in the way of healing time, response to treatment, etc. I know of some though that did well afterwards, and others that derived little or no benefit.

I am curious to hear from others whose cats had stomatitis and had multiple or whole-mouth extractions. How old was your cat, is the cat a Meezer breed, and did it help the problem? How did your cat respond to treatment and extraction?

How about those whose cats have had stomatitis, but you were able to control or manage it without dental surgery?

Treatment failures, I want to hear your side as well. Your experience is important, too.

I appreciate in advance y'all's input. Your real-life experience will help me a lot as we go through this.

~MackieMac

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm. No reply. I guess that means that nobody has anything to share, or that nobody GAF about "our" experience.

Thank you very much for your "help". The cat is now not eating, hiding, won't let me syringe-feed him... have to wait until Monday to even think about having a PEG tube put in. 

Oh well, I guess my cat doesn't matter here.

Thanks again for... um...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. No reply. I guess that means that nobody has anything to share, or that nobody GAF about "our" experience.

Thank you very much for your "help". The cat is now not eating, hiding, won't let me syringe-feed him... have to wait until Monday to even think about having a PEG tube put in. 

Oh well, I guess my cat doesn't matter here.

Thanks again for... um...
I am sure you are stressed, but this is not fair. You asked a very specific question and specific experience, and perhaps no one felt qualified. People are also away from their computers for the weekend. This was also not an emergency when you first posted. As it now seems to be, you should contact your vet or find an emergency vet.

I don't have any experience with this issue but certainly wish you both luck.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't agree with the statement that no one GAF, I CARE but I don't have experience. There are a few people here who have had to deal with dental work pertaining to this. Give it 12-24 hours as the weekend is slower here=please hang in there.

Unfortunately I only have experience with asthma and IBS and heart disease. Hoping someone chimes in!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the vet send you home with buprenorphine for pain management? He sounds like the not eating is because of pain.

This bupre works wonders. sometimes makes them sleepy but it stops the pain. Its very safe for cats=one of the only pain meds cats can have-tramadol is anther option but I like bupre because its in a syringe and you only have to give a tiny bit of liquid under the tongue or in the cheek pocket-the meds are absorbed through the blood vessels in the mouth-not the stomach.

Also looks like the sub fluids are being given=did they want to do any appetite stimulant?

What about wet food? I have a 17 yr old fussy girl who loves fancy feast turkey classic=I mash with a fork and add hot water=its perfect for her to lap up. She often has upset stomach from IBS type symptoms and sometimes that's what she prefers over dry food.

Have you tried babyfood meat ones? Usually these are a big hit.

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother's cat, a tortoise shell moggy, has stomatitis and has had all her back teeth extracted at three years old. SHe was acting very quiet, would eat but had to be encouraged, and in the course of a routine vaccine exam the vet diagnosed stomatitis as the cause of her problems. SHe has been a different cat since the extractions, bouncy, friendly in no pain and eating really well. That was four months ago, and she is off all meds. It is very early yet, but the vet said that in his experience, she should have a normal long life.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Can the vet send you home with buprenorphine for pain management? He sounds like the not eating is because of pain.

This bupre works wonders. sometimes makes them sleepy but it stops the pain. Its very safe for cats=one of the only pain meds cats can have-tramadol is anther option but I like bupre because its in a syringe and you only have to give a tiny bit of liquid under the tongue or in the cheek pocket-the meds are absorbed through the blood vessels in the mouth-not the stomach.

Also looks like the sub fluids are being given=did they want to do any appetite stimulant?

What about wet food? I have a 17 yr old fussy girl who loves fancy feast turkey classic=I mash with a fork and add hot water=its perfect for her to lap up. She often has upset stomach from IBS type symptoms and sometimes that's what she prefers over dry food.

Have you tried babyfood meat ones? Usually these are a big hit.
Thanks for replying. I thought I was in a void here. Questions in order:

1. Re. buprenex-- the office id closed until Monday. I am sure the doctor would be totally fine with it, though. I concur, the not eating is due to pain and perhaps hesitation because he thinks it's the food that hurts him. I'm quite familiar with how well Bupe works, as I've given it many, many times to hospital patients. Not sure if you caught that I've worked for many years for vets. But now that it's my turn, I don't feel like I'm getting the same level of care for my pets that I have provided to so many others.

2 and 3. Yes to the fluids and appetite stimulant. Mirtazapine 1/4 tab every three days. He "wants" to eat (has an appetite, probably not nauseated), but he's "afraid" to eat, and when he finally tries, it's only a tiny bit because it hurts. He looks at me when I have food or I open a can, he goes to the plate, he air-licks, he gravy licks, then tries to get a mouthful or two before he gives up. He won't touch his freeze dried chicken treats because I saw him once try to eat one, then he winced and dropped it, only to look at it sadly before walking away. Now he wants nothing to do with what was once his favorite treat ever. It breaks my heart... I wanted to cry right then.

At least he's really good for his SQ fluids. He's not thrilled, but he tolerates it. I've always found it helpful to gently warm the fluids just a little with a VERY LOW heating pad. We did that for post-op patients and those in shock. Once I get past the initial poke and his little yip of "Hey!", we're good, and it only takes a few minutes once the fluids are flowing. He soaks that stuff right up, so he definitely needs it.

4. Baby food wasn't a hit. He sniffed it, made a YUK! face and tried to cover it up. He does that when he absolutely HATES a food. Tried turkey and chicken. Yuk to both.

If I could get some Bupe, I think that would make a huge difference. At least he still lets me give a pill. I have a way to gently tilt his head back so his mouth naturally opens without my having to touch his face. Then I am able to "drop" the pill onto his tongue and then offer a few drops of Pet-Tinic so that he starts licking the pill right down. It's worked for YEARS of daily atenolol. He loves the Pet-Tinic, and to him it's a treat. I give him a half dose with each dose of Clavamox to give him some B vitamins and iron and help make it easier for him to get the Clav down (like taking a sip of water). I'm giving the Clav twice daily, as soon as he eats a few bites of breakfast and after a few bites of supper so he gets it with food. If he was eating better or more, I'd add a probiotic to his wet food, but I don't want to throw off ANY taste or texture right now and spook him any further. He might take some plain yogurt, though...

I just don't know what I can do for him to get him through the weekend. I have Nutri-Cal and he will take some of that, but that is NOT enough. I worry about fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis) if he doesn't get eating right very soon.

~Mackie

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*lets me give a pill, so he can at least also get his antibiotics... and I bet I can do the gum applications for the Bupe.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with severe mouth pain will often lick something very cold. You could try some Greek-style yoghourt that is low in lactose but will give some calories. Rub it on the mouth and see if he likes it.

vallhalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in EXACTLY the same boat.

My cat had 12 teeth removed,and now is not eating,or drinking,vet closed...wont let anyone near for meds...

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am in EXACTLY the same boat.

My cat had 12 teeth removed,and now is not eating,or drinking,vet closed...wont let anyone near for meds...
When were the teeth removed, Val? How bad was the inflammation prior to the extractions? Does your vet have an emergency clinic that s/he refers to after hours? I wonder if they might could help you (yes, that's proper Texas grammar) with some pain relief like maybe a Fentanyl patch? Since you can't get near her to medicate as needed... the patch might be an option to get her some continuous relief. It might be enough to let you syringe feed a little bit and jump start her independent eating. If she is also not drinking, some sub-Q fluids (fluids given just under the skin to help rehydrate her) might be something to keep on board. The vet might even recommend a potassium additive, like Schrodie's vet did for him. This is like an electrolyte boost, particularly if the blood work shows low potassium. If the cat's not eating well, the potassium can be a bit low, which can also cause low energy. This is something to discuss with the "urgent care vet", anyway. For me, it's not really a good option since as I said before, I don't drive. I do have to wait until Monday. However, I can still get to my little guy to syringe feed some baby food and water, and give fluids.

He ate some tuna but only a few bites before it hurt too much again. 

I tried the cold food (yogurt, as a matter of fact)... no dice. I thought it might feel good to him, so great minds think alike, Jenny. Not interested. Yup, I have a lot of tricks in my arsenal but not much is working. He got his round of SQ fluids, antibiotics, a half dose of Pet-Tinic, and he was syringe fed about 40-45 ml of turkey baby food plus water (total volume) to make a "soup". It's not a ton, but I'll pick up some Hill's a/d in the morning. I can't take the cat on the bus for over an hour and another hour back-- but I CAN get some syringable food that's more appropriate for him right now until the clinic opens Monday. He did come out and enjoy some catnip... even spilling the tub and rolling all in it! He seemed a lot happier for the moment, purring, rolling and smiling a little... probably the bright spot of his day. Good. He deserves that much, anyway. It also tells me that he's not "organically sick" so much as he hurts.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PS: I find that if I tilt the head back just a LITTLE bit by placing my fingers on either side of his head at the zygomatic arch, his mouth will open slightly on its own. It's jus enough to fit the tip of a syringe into the "gap" of his teeth and I can slowly squeeze a syringe of "mush" into him, or give liquids, etc. without sticking my fingers into a sore mouth. I do a similar technique for pills. I never have a problem giving him a bland pill.

The zygomatic arch is a natural place to gently hold the cat's head and do what you need to do. I place a couple fingers on either side, by the cheeks and I can feel the arch. At the same time, I place my index finger or middle finger over his skull to give better but still-positive control. Plus I can rub and tap his head to distract him. He always loves a head rub so this works very well for me. He basically goes passive... but your mileage may vary, so they say!

A diagram of the cat's skull can be found here:

charliekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have experience with 2 cats having stomatitis in past 5 years. We went through ups and downs and wasted time on inadequate treatments. The best treatment is complete extraction of all teeth. Yes, it sounds drastic but it is most effective and recommended by the veterinary dentistry associations. Partial removal will only lead to recurrence and prolong pain and suffering. Doing nothing is not an option. If you have ever endured the pain of a bad case of strep throat you can imagine the pain and discomfort a cat is suffering from stomatitis. Cats will do just fine with no teeth (but should never be outdoors again as they cannot defend themselves with no teeth.) They can still eat kibble although I did switch my two stomatitis kitties to canned food. I have another toothless kitty that will only eat kibble and has no problem doing so.

You describe classic symptoms of stomatitis. The desire to eat is there but pain and discomfort puts them off food. That is the most critical problem and you are justified to be concerned. Not eating can lead to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) which is life threatening. My Maggie had hepatic lipidosis and nearly died. I had to syringe feed her for almost 4 months to save her. Not eating is not an option. She developed stomatitis 2 yrs later but I wonder if it triggered the original hepatic lipidosis and was missed by Vet #1. She is doing very well now although she eventually developed food allergies. If she loses her appetite for even one day I'm all over it to make sure the problem gets resolved. She had full extractions done in Sept 2013. Best thing I could have done for her.

My first kitty to get stomatitis was Charlie in July 2011. The first vet gave him a depo steroid shot and antibiotic but did not diagnose his problem as stomatitis (if he knew, he kept it to himself.) Coincidentally, all eruptions for both Maggie & Charlie happened mostly mid-Summer to Fall when allergy season was in full swing. I switched food on the hunch that food allergy might be problem. Switched to Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey & Potato or Basics Duck--the only food I could find at the time that did not contain chicken, corn, wheat, fish or grains. They are still one of the very few with no chicken. Read the labels. The diet change helped get us through until the following Summer 2012 when the allergy season kicked in again.

His stomatitis flared up again and I took him to a different vet (#2) who took one look at his mouth and declared Charlie had stomatitis. Relieved that I finally had a name for it. Vet 2 basically treated it the same way; Depo shots, antibiotics plus Ovaban. I don't recommend the Ovaban. I don't believe it was necessary. At this time (2012) I started doing internet research and found extractions were recommended. Vet #2 acknowledged this but disagreed. Poor Charlie went through another uncomfortable 15 months of Depo and occasional antibiotics. Charlie had laster treatments too. They helped but certainly did not resolve anything. In hindsight, we were only prolonging the inevitable and I wonder if all those steroid shots contributed to further health problems. He ended up having seizures and was very weak and in danger of dying.

I took him to Vet #3 for a second opinion. The vet tech from #2 had given me the name of a vet that did dental surgeries....I only wish we had found Vet #3 sooner. Charlie's seizures were from very high blood pressure, 270 - 290 and he had a heart murmur. Vet ##3 is AHA certified and has equipment to diagnose that Vet #1 & #2 did not have. Charlie went on amlodipine for high BP. I don't know for sure, but I believe the repeated Depo shots contributed to his failing health. Coincidentally or not, his stomatitis flared up soon after so Vet 3 gave him a Depo shot to calm it down until he was stable for surgery in Oct 2013. I tried to delay Depo shots as long as I could but they became necessary to calm the inflammation. Vet #3 said full extractions would be the only hope. He was correct. Charlie recovered from dental surgery which resolved the stomatitis but did have lasting effects from the seizures. He was weak and fragile. Although he regained some strength, he was never back to his glory. He died 6 weeks ago, likely from a heart arrhythmia. He was special!! He was a trooper with all he had been through. Lucky that Vet #3 gave Charlie another 2-1/2 precious years. He was doing as well as could be expected the past year. The surgery resolved his stomatitis but the damage was done from the HBP & heart murmur & possibly steroids.

As for Maggie, her stomatitis came on sudden and very severe in 2013. She stopped eating immediately. Charlie would still eat a little. Dental surgery saved her life. Fortunately I found Vet #3 in time to save Maggie. Maggie has been through many of her nine lives!! Toothless and doing well now! No more Depo shots needed.

My advice is do your research and have full extractions done. I think it was more expensive not having surgery for almost 3 years and certainly detrimental to Charlie. There were many trips to the vet for shots, laser treatments, inadequate tooth cleaning, medicines, etc. All these things were just bandaid fixes and took a toll on his health. Steroids are hard on cats just as they are on people.

Be sure you find a vet that is experienced in dental surgery and has digital x-ray machine. The tooth you see on surface is only about a third of it. You can't see the majority of the tooth and root; like an iceberg--you only see the tip. With stomatitis there is an immune response to allergy or bacteria in mouth. There could be tooth resorption involved. Please start your research with the veterinary dentists. There are a few official sites and each vet dentist has their own site. I probably looked at every one of them over the years. The info was invaluable. My vet is not a certified vet dentist but had interned with one and performs many surgeries. The closest Vet Dentist was over 4 hours away. Vet #3 is now our regular vet. Worth the 64 mile round trip.

Until you can arrange dental surgery, Depo shots will reduce inflammation, bupronorphine could help manage pain although we only used it for 4-5 days after surgery, mirtazapine might stimulate appetite but it's likely not the appetite that is the problem if your cat is coming to the food. Dietary changes may help over long run. Regardless, you need to get your kitty to the vet ASAP. Not eating is a major problem. Sorry this is so lengthy. I hope our experience is helpful. Good luck

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Charlie and everyone else, for your accounts-- and yes, we are accepting of the fact that he'll end up with a "gummy smile" sooner rather than later. He is under the care now of a more "diligent" vet. I'm also a "retired" vet tech and I've been in on quite a few of these cases, but for whatever reason a lot of them were lost to follow up, or I didn't get the "rest of the story" as to how they did afterwards and in the long term.

I do know of one elderly cat named Grandpa who had FME for stomatitis and I met him when he was 18-- several years after he had his FME done. He was boarding with us, I was pretty new to that clinic, and I met him for the first time during evening meals. I was "making deliveries" of the dinner plates and when I got to Grandpa, I set his dish of dry in his cage-- then he yawned and I saw that he had NO TEETH! This was my first time seeing a cat following FME. I thought, there has to be a mistake on this "food order". But no, another tech who knew Grandpa well said "He eats dry. He won't eat wet at all." I was like, "Huh? He has no..." "Yes, no teeth. He'a amazing. Go ahead, feed his dry and watch." :)

I set that plate in there... it was GONE before I had the rest of the feeds done! So that memory is encouraging.
 Until you can arrange dental surgery, Depo shots will reduce inflammation, bupronorphine could help manage pain although we only used it for 4-5 days after surgery, mirtazapine might stimulate appetite but it's likely not the appetite that is the problem if your cat is coming to the food. Dietary changes may help over long run. Regardless, you need to get your kitty to the vet ASAP. Not eating is a major problem. Sorry this is so lengthy. I hope our experience is helpful. Good luck
No worries; this was very helpful and much appreciated-- exactly the info I'm looking for: you experience. I haven't given the mirtazapine because he does have interest. I have been giving SQ LRS + KCl to keep hydration up, Laxatone to help with constipation (even that seems painful to him, poor little mite-- he usually "inhales" that stuff straight from the tube!)... offering tasty bits now and then to let him lick and nibble as he feels able, and the DH picked up a couple of cans of Hill's a/d from the 24 hour clinic so I'll syringe feed that. I just didn't have that on hand so I was using baby food and a bit of water to pump him up. He is perkier today, though he certainly is still uncomfortable. He tried to play a little last night and he did enjoy his catnip-- even spilling the tub and rolling in it. So he is more likely in pain than actually "ill"... though he certainly can't feel too hot, regardless. We will be aggressively pursuing this. As soon as his rDVM opens tomorrow morning, I'll call for some pain relief and to discuss the next step. If he needs a PEG tube for a short time to get fed up enough to have his dental-- that's what will happen. 

What I wanted to hear was the "truth", not what clients "tell us", the "happy smoke blowing" that they think we want to hear. That's why I made this thread... I am interested to know how the critters do "for real". Good, bad or ugly... I plan to stay on this. But I am trying to get a real world feel for the ups and downs. Vets who do lots of these treatments will push the good. Vets who have another idea might push the bad. Vets wit "proprietary solutions" might think their solution is the answer. And it may be that there is good and bad on each side. 

Also... if anyone here has had experience using the "Secret 007 Sauce" (as we call it), the proprietary stomatitis mixture that was developed by the late Dr. Wiggs in Dallas and in the 'trial' process for patent and FDA approval--- I'd love to hear about that as well.

This is basically a "poll with details", did it help? What course did you follow? The "rest of the story" so to speak.

Thanks in advance for replies and thank you to those who shared their experience.

~Mackie

charliekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MackieMac & Valhalla - I'm sorry to hear about your kitties. Beware of ingredients in baby food. Most contain onion powder. Onions are not supposed to be fed to cats. My first vet was always recommending baby food but fortunately I'm a label reader and discovered the onion powder. I searched every jar of a 7 ft wide display of baby food at our local Walmart and only found 4 jars that were suitable. I am guessing years ago onion powder was not used as it is now. The vet seemed surprised when I told him what I found. The good thing about baby food is the texture (no lumps) and with a bit of warm water makes it easier for the cat to lap up or syringe feed.

If you have to syringe feed (it may be a matter of life and death) the trick is to find foods that are smooth enough to not get stuck in the syringe. Finding a good syringe is a battle in itself. If you are lucky enough to find the silicone ring syringes you'll have the best luck. The generic ones my vet offices carry only last a short time before they stick or explode in a gush. Not good for kitty and you'll end up splattered in food along with kitty. Fancy Feast clogs easily even with pate--too many bits & pieces. If you have to syringe feed, one of the critical care foods from Purina or Hills (a/d) is a good choice. I have to buy them from the vet office.

If you syringe feed, they may never willingly eat that food again so keep that in mind. Syringe feeding a favorite food may result in them hating it. If you have a cat with food allergies, you have to beware of the ingredients. One of my cats seems to have an allergy to chicken. I had to return a couple cans of food to the vet that contained chicken. She responds better with the novel proteins (duck, venison, rabbit) and handles turkey well. I keep a few cans on hand for emergencies. Don't forget syringes too. All my emergencies seem to happen on Friday evenings and Saturday.

I usually prepare 3 syringes at a time (each 10 ml syringe makes up 2-1/2 tsp each); add a bit of water to food to get the right consistency; run warm to hot water in a mug and then set the syringes in the mug for a minute or two so the water will warm the food to a pleasant temperature. I prepare the next set and park in the refrigerator for the next feeding. Small feedings every few hours.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are correct about your info about being a vet tech=I was in a rush yesterday and didn't pay attention-I wanted to help you because no one had answered and I wanted to let you know that people read but oftentimes they don't say anything because they haven't had the experience to answer said questions. I am reading the replies after mine from yesterday. Hoping you got more food into him. poor guy. Its too bad that you don't have an er vet who could prescribe you bupre after emailing the cats records-not sure if this would work but I have in the past gotten meds from the er vet after sending them the info on whats going on to get further treatment or at least get through 24 hours until the main vet opens...

charliekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand about the happy smoke blowing! I remember reading about the Secret Sauce but ruled it out for some reason. Maybe because I was already on the dental surgery path but not sure.

I did remember something about feeding Charlie. I think the long term effects of the stomatitis and surgery affected his ability to grab food. (Nerve damage?) By the time he had surgery his mouth was awful. Some tooth resorption and terrible breath.

He did eat a little kibble but only if he was hungry. I tried to keep him satisfied with canned food 3-4 times per day. With the canned food, I had to stay with him and use a baby spoon to keep his food in a little pile. Once it got spread out on the plate he wasn't able to grab it with his mouth adequately. If I kept it in a little pile he could grab it from the pile. He didn't seem to be able to lap it up like you would expect. When he was at his worst I would make a little pile on the baby spoon and he was able to grab a bite off the spoon. It was time consuming but you do what you need to do out of love!

He used to love the pate but since surgery his favorite was the shredded pieces but not too big; probably easier to grab. I feel he wouldn't have had so much nerve damage effect if his teeth had been removed years earlier. I do not have this problem with Maggie. Wish I had been told how important dentals are a long time ago. He & Maggie were both negative for FLV & FIV.

Charlie was more like your kitty: in pain, not actually "ill" where Maggie was both. Probably because of her history of hepatic lipidosis, she was more vulnerable to becoming ill quickly. Fortunately, your vet tech experience is a great help. I was flying blind with Maggie. The vet expected her to die so didn't offer any suggestions other than sending us home with saline to ward off dehydration. I had to figure it out on my own. We have a special bond from the experience.

vallhalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner.

Im really tired,and i went to bed after i posted this.

My cat,Curious George,had 12 teeth removed Monday,4/11/16.

I think he had a tiny bit of water,but no food since then..He is not dehydrated,from the times I have been able to check.

He had a good bit of swelling/inflammation,but that seems to have gone down as of now (Sunday),but he still wont eat,although he does come around for food.

Like you,I also do not drive ( I am disabled),and I have no choice but to wait until Monday-I have no decent emergency vets around here,either.

He sleeps most of the time,and will come up for pets,and purrs like crazy.

I have tried every type of food I have,baby food,tuna,..he wants it,sniffs it,but then backs away and hides.

We were able to sneak him some pain medication last night,but he went and hid,and nothing could get him to come out.

My vet said she could give him an antibiotic injection that would last a week,but it would be weaker than the drops we have..I dont care..anything that can help him,I will try.

He is not sick,simply in too much pain to eat,and since I cant look at his mouth,I have no idea of what sort of swelling/inflammation is going on in there.

I am sure he needs fluids,and the vet may force-feed him..I dont know...George IS going to the vet Monday-he is a tough one to capture,since he is a feral cat that was born,and raised outside in a feral colony-hes wise to most tricks,but we will have to get him..

LOL..that makes it very hard to set up an appointment...I have to call the vet when we catch him,and that may take a long time!

George is the only feral cat that has become "tame",and loves people-my profile pic is of George,and his brother,Rico.

Rico is a "full-blown" wild,or feral cat..catching him took 5 people...,but when I saw how my vet handled him,I was impressed,and I have some degree of trust in her.

Also,I was impressed that my vet remembered Rico,since that guy went into the vet exactly ONCE,to be neutered,over a year ago.

The vet techs remembered him too..the cat that could not be touched,and gave them all the creeps,with his "stare of doom".

We have quite the collection of rescue,and feral cats,and I learn something new all the time,but I have exhausted my bag of tricks with George!

Thanks for the replies,and shared stories,and information!

The only thing I can add is this..when you have your cats teeth extracted,please ask for x-rays AFTER the surgery! Cats teeth are brittle,and you dont want any pieces broken off,below the gum line,setting up an infection!

My vet showed me the before,and after x-rays,and everything looked good.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
REgarding the "secret sauce", yes there have been people here who have used it for their cats in your furkid's condition.  Here are some of the threads about it's use:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258947/stomatitis-syrup-from-dallas-texas

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/277307/just-started-the-lps-treatment-syrup

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/265860/treating-stomatitis-without-steroids

AND, per THIS thread, there is Laser Therapy now for Stomatitis.  This poster got great results from it:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/303952/lymphocytic-stomatitis

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, mrsgreenjeans-- I just browsed through them and got some good bits, so I'll read them more closely when I have a little more quiet time.

Schrodie has had his morning Clavamox and gut grease, and I fed him some Hill's a/d by oral syringe. He also tried out some FF on a plate. He always does the same thing... eats a few bites happily, then flinches and stops eating when it hurts him. He definitely has an appetite and wants to eat, but it's painful for him. I also realize that the inflammation associated with stomatitis can extend down into the throat, so he might have a sore throat as well as a sore mouth. Plus, with that broken fang, he may have that bothering him and giving him a headache as the pain is signalled up the root. I've had headaches from a bad tooth before so the same could well be happening to him. But he cant tell me with words, so I just have to go along with what "logic" would indicate and treat it appropriately.

The good news is, he's out and about, cruising the house and being somewhat social again. He has flare-ups of pain, yes, and he hides for a little while. But then he comes back out to watch what's going on in the house. We're also having some rain and thunder today, so that's always cause to stay under a table or hang out in the bedroom-- or dart under the sofa when there's a loud crack! Basically, he's a quiet version of himself, but not staying hidden or acting particularly mopey. Not 100% normal, but not as bad off as he was earlier.

I will call his rDVM in the morning to update her and get some Bupe to use when things get painful. I'll also syringe feed a little a/d in small frequent meals throughout the day/evening so he stays fed and gets a few bites in before the pain hits. I've got a syringe in the fridge so I can try offering it to him cold. Maybe that will feel soothing to him and he'll eat a bit more per session. Once we get him pumped up and steadily nourished, then he needs a dental cleaning and X ray exam, as well as get that canine tooth extracted at the very least. Of course, if there are any lesions/FORLs, those teeth will go. He would probably then go onto Clindamycin and perhaps Baytril, and maybe stick with the Clin as pulse therapy (a week out of each month). If warranted, the Wiggs Solution has been discussed briefly.. Maybe we'll look more into that if the dental findings warrant it.

I will also ask if she feels like doxycycline is appropriate instead of Clin. Apparently, doxycycline has some anti-inflammatory properties as well as antibiotic, so I wonder if it's suitable for the microbe strains in stomatitis. It's something to discuss, anyway.

You know, having knowledge and experience with other people's cats is a LITTLE helpful, but it in no way dulls the concern when it's your own beloved baby who's hurting and can't eat...