Newly adopted KITTEH =^.^=

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Will she use paper if you put it down in the spot she uses to poop?   I previously had a female cat that wouldn't poop in her tray after she had a UTI and the bad experience meant she would only go in for the pee she found painful after that.  It only takes one scary or painful experience to throw a cat sometimes.   I always figured I was lucky my cat used the tray for her pee as that would have been way harder to contain and clean up.  With Isabelle being so young I am confident you will manage to figure out what it is that's confusing her or putting her off using the tray other than for pee.
I put down a towel under the litterbox, it's a big one and mainly to catch most of the litter she flings outside, and i've seen her poop on that before.  So I'm not entirely sure.  I haven't noticed anything that would have caused her to get fearful using the litterbox.  I'll try to monitor her to see from now on, but it's hard to gauge when she goes poop.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It can be so hard trying to figure out what is in their kitty brains, and Isabelle is still very young at 8 weeks.  You are being a good human parent to her by trying to understand and help her.  It is hard but hang in there and hopefully the answer will be found really soon.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Her name is Isabel.  She's about 7 weeks old now.  She's so adorably cute.  Very active, we seem to be bonding very wonderfully.  I did have a few issues the first couple of days adopting her.  She wasn't eating or drinking and I was getting a tad worried.  I knew of course that she was adjusting to the new environment but I was more worried about her not drinking.  Thankfully I had a spare unopenned syringe from one of my other cats when they needed medicine so I used it to give her some water.  Luckily that only lasted about 2 days then she started eating and drinking normally.  Now though I have the problem of getting her used to the kitty litter.  I made the mistake of using clumping litter and the first time she was inside, she started chomping on it and I immediatly had to remove it and buy new litter.  I got the Arm and Hammer Feline Pine, but she hasn't used it yet.  Per suggestion from the person I adopted her from, I put used kitty litter in with a small amount of the pin in a little box she can climb into without trouble, and put her in to sniff and attempt to get her used to it.  Well didn't quite work, she pooped in the corner, so we scooped it up and dropped it in the litter, and put the little box where she pooped so she hopefully gets the idea eventually.  I truly hope I'm doing everything right as the thought of doing wrong scares me.  I love her to death and I do believe she is starting to love me too.  She will turn on her back and play bite me, albeit a bit hard sometimes :p, but I don't believe it's out of frustration or irritation but out of love for me.  My middle kitty, Chloe is actually very curious about it.  She keeps poking her paw under the door, and the kitten does the same.  Of course Chloe is hissing but that's to be expected.

On another note, I think I made a mistake with my Chloe she's a bit fat and I have to put her on a diet but i'm new to it.  I've always left food in the bowl and kept it topped off and my oldest cat never really had an issue.  So I don't know how to do this diet thing for them.  I tend to put a 3/4th to 1 cup of dry food in the bowl at least once a day.  If anyone knows of a better way I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
he's identical to my boy tucker!

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She peed outside the box...

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Is it worth giving her another go with the 'safe space' and some feliway for a while?   I do feel this is like a little stressed kitten in some way.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Is it worth giving her another go with the 'safe space' and some feliway for a while?   I do feel this is like a little stressed kitten in some way.
Well I was worried putting the feliway in a small room indefinatly, I don'tk now if giving her too much of it is bad or anything.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you can.   When you have a larger space you often need one in each room.   It is a slow acting general calming effect if you use the plug in not the spray so the plug in should be fine,

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I don't think you can.   When you have a larger space you often need one in each room.   It is a slow acting general calming effect if you use the plug in not the spray so the plug in should be fine,
Ah ok.  Well I mainly have it plugged into my room where she mostly resides/sleeps.  We had a litterbox in the living room and we noticed small itty bitty poop, I'm thinking she is using that when she runs around the house.  We haven't seen poop anywhere, i've checked nooks and crannies so hopefully she hasn't gone where we can't see it.  Lets hope this holds and she gets the idea permanently :X

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poop in the box is good.  

One more thought - does you little lady like covered boxes or uncovered trays?

Back to my previous cats, one was a pee high kind of girl (same one that pooped outside the box) - I had to use a very high sided tray with cover or her pee would go everywhere... 
     Also, some cats just don't like one or the other, or will only poop on one and pee in the other.  Cats definitely have minds of their own!

Last edited:

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Poop in the box is good.  

One more thought - does you little lady like covered boxes or uncovered trays?

Back to my previous cats, one was a pee high kind of girl (same one that pooped outside the box) - I had to use a very high sided tray with cover or her pee would go everywhere... 
     Also, some cats just don't like one or the other, or will only poop on one and pee in the other.  Cats definitely have minds of their own!
Well one of the litterboxes is covered with a giant dome, the other which I see her use frequently is uncovered.  Now I do know when I went to look at her for adoption the litterboxes they had were uncovered.  So far so good, I haven't seen poop outside the box, though I haven't gone on the ol  butt biscuit "treasure" hunt >.>

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I have a tad of a worrying situation on my hands.  My little Isabelle got into some kleenex and might have eaten some.  Will this cause problems??

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@xeoneex   Isabelle certainly keeps you on your toes doesn't she!   She reminds me of Mouse, he had me far too well aquainted with our vets in the first year I had him...  landing butt first on pointy candles, pulling his cat tree over with his tail caught in some rope, eating metalic wrapping ribbon, falling off 'stuff' and generally using up his 9 lives. 

Unless she has eaten a large amount of the tissue I doubt it will cause problems - esp if she is good at drinking.   Keep a close eye on her and if she is off her food or seems uncomfortable give your vet a call.   Never does harm to at least phone your vet for advice though.  

My previous trouble making, spray peeing, poop out the box tabby used to chew up any soft tissue / toilet / kittens paper she could get her teeth in to and made nests with it!  I'd come home to little piles of shredded tissue - but she never ate it.  Just chewed it in to little bits and made nests, on the floor, in bowls, on chairs....
  I think she had a strong maternal instinct in her.   Mouse just chews anything.  Isabelle might be starting to teethe and looking for things to chew too so if you leave her cardboard boxes and tubes you might find she goes for those instead?

Good luck with your little trouble maker. 

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a bit of a worry right now.  Today I noticed Chloe meowing funny.  She almost sounds as if she's a bit congested.  Her meow is raspy.  When I was petting her she began to purr like usual but then she started to growl in a oddly raspy voice, and she hissed.   I am going to take her to the vet but I'm worried.  If she's sick should I keep her away from Isabelle?  I don't know what to do right now.

EDIT:  when I said she sounds congested, it's weird cause I listened to her breathing while she breathes through her nose and it sounds congested, more or less what I mean X_X.  Just clarifying.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, never a dull moment in your home.  I hope you get a vet appointment quickly.  It sounds sensible to keep Chloe away from Isabelle at least until you know what's going on, but it may well be that if it is an infection they have shared it by now anyway.  Always better safe than sorry with these things though and as Isabelle is used to being kept in a room for periods it shouldn't be too hard on her.  You could always take them both in

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far Isabelle shows no signs of infection.  I will monitor chloe for today and take her in later or tomorrow.  And no never a dull moment -_- isabelle decided to be my alarm clock this afternoon as she swiped my toe with a nail that apparently wasn't cut and it rather hurt...

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I took Chloe to the vet, she had a bit of a fever, about 102.  I told the vet she was eating and playing normally.  Just her voice is raspy and sounds wrong.  She told me there is a possiblity she has nasal ferangeal polyps.  I'm going to schedule an oral exam to see if she has this.  If not I will probably have to get bloodwork done to determine if she has something else.  I'm just worried cause her meow sounds so creepy and eerie and it's making me sad.  What if she has something serious?  I can't think if she has something bad and its hurting her and i don't know.  Am I acting in a timely manner or did I wait too long?  We will see within the next few days.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Don't go beating your self up.  You are a great cat parent, you got Chloe a vet appointment and took her along because you think she doesn't sound like her usual self - regardless of her looking and behaving OK.  Try not to worry your self as if you are stressed your kitties will be too and that isn't good for any of you.  Enjoy each other's company and try to keep little Isabelle out of trouble for a day or two - that should be challenge enough to keep your mind from fretting about Chloe!  I assume there were no repercussions other than the mess after Isabelle's tissue encounter the other day? 

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Don't go beating your self up.  You are a great cat parent, you got Chloe a vet appointment and took her along because you think she doesn't sound like her usual self - regardless of her looking and behaving OK.  Try not to worry your self as if you are stressed your kitties will be too and that isn't good for any of you.  Enjoy each other's company and try to keep little Isabelle out of trouble for a day or two - that should be challenge enough to keep your mind from fretting about Chloe!  I assume there were no repercussions other than the mess after Isabelle's tissue encounter the other day? 
Eh I'll be ok I'm just overly worried for my little preciouseseses X-D.  Chloe is doing good for the most part.  Isabelle seems perfectly fine since shredding the kleenex.  In fact the woman who fostered her told me all sorts of stories about her now 17 some cats get into, that its fine and she doubts Isabelle even any of it.  They like to shredd it and what not.  She's pooped since and its fine.  Now as far as Chloe she definatly isn't her normal self cause she's been sleeping moreso than often and at times she tends to shy away from Isabelle when the little one initiates play.  They do play just not as often and long as she normally does.  It almost seems like she has the equivalent of a heavy cold.  My mother thought her nose felt warm too so I told the vet that but I just went to grab some dinner and I felt Chloe and no warm nose, either my mother thought she had one and didn't really have it, or it's going away.  I'm wondering if it will be ok to leave it alone for about 4 days and see if it clears up on it's own?  I hate to be taking her to the vet constantly and paying all this money and it's nothing more than a cat cold that went away on it's own.  I don't know if thats a thing though but I'll keep an eye on Chloe every so often.