Newborn Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is super adorable. :)

I'm a little worried; he's not eating as much as he used to, but he is still eating and eliminating.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

He is super adorable. :)

I'm a little worried; he's not eating as much as he used to, but he is still eating and eliminating.
Please be very, very careful, this is right when they suddenly stop thriving. Between 2 and 3 weeks, usally closer to 2 weeks, their appetite goes down, and before you know it they are going downhill fast.

It's very important to make certain that he gets the same amt as he was eating, whether he wants it or not, just take more time, and get little amts in even after he says no.

Nobody really knows why this happens, it's mainly in bottle babies, for some reason a perfectly healthy kitten hits 2 weeks and down they go. I have managed to pull most of them through this in a couple of days, they bounce back to the norm, but before I knew about this, lost a few due to this.

Failure to thrive it's called, but whether it's caused by the unnaturalness of being bottle fed and their mentality of it all or what, but be aware this is common and can be a trying time for a few days.

Last edited:

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank-you, @catwoman707! We are feeding him more often because he is taking in smaller amounts. Is there anything I could add to his diet to keep him strong? I have read on other sites that people sometimes puree pure meat baby food or babycat food with some KMR and bottle feed young kittens that; but I don't want to do that if it's not a good idea! We are financially able to do pretty well whatever it takes; we're both so attached and committed to keeping him healthy.

Is that what is also called FKS (Fading Kitten Syndrome, or something; similar to SIDS)? I figured we would run into some sort of issue at some point, since he did not get any of mama kitty's milk, and she won't take him back or nurse him.

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Are you weighing him? Is he gaining weight? 
Yes, he is. Bought a kitchen scale specifically for that! He is sitting at a bit below 200g, which I understand is light, but he was the smallest of the bunch, and abandoned.

He is sucking and gnawing on my fingers/arms with his sharp little saw teeth, he is just not overly impressed with the bottle anymore.

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He seems like he is lonely, too, perhaps. I hope Snuggle Kitty gets here soon!

mum2daisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no clue really and obviously no experience but could you try a shallow saucer with the milk in and see if he'll lap it up? Otherwise try an oral syringe and get it in the side of his mouth whether he likes it or not?

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you try goats milk?  I was told by a lady who rescues and fosters abandoned kittens that goat's milk is better and sometime her kittens stopped drinking the kmr and preferred goat's milk.  My newborn kitten that I found, she was really active and thriving and I was feeding her every 2 hours, but on the sixth day just stopped drinking.  I couldn't find goat's milk and she didn't make it.  It happens really fast, FKS. 

I found this.  Maybe it can help you with your newborn kitten  http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/sites/default/files/newbornhandbook.pdf

Hope you little baby gets better.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay he couldn't possibly be any cuter I tell ya! Cuteness!

It is sometimes called fading kitten syndrome, and is quite common actually. As I was saying, it seems to me that they must get to a certain point of mental development that causes this, and I think that some have it longer and more extreme than others, so I bet often times when bottle fed babies don't seem to go through this, it very well might just be mild and goes unnoticed.

It always hits at the same age, right at or just after the 2 week mark. That's why my senses say it's got to have something to do with brain development or an unnatural way of surviving rather than through nursing and being cared for by mom.

Hard to know.

This is different from the commonly seen newborn kitten who, even though they developed in utero just as well as the others, once they are born they just don't seem to have the will to survive.

Especially in the runts, but at least that is more explainable, it is due to the babies who are much bigger and stronger constantly bumping the runt off of the nipples, so each time he tries to nurse and gets bumped off, he gives up and snuggles in to sleep, without nursing. Obviously it doesn't take long for the runt to simply get weaker and eventually give up and die.

This is the biggest reason runts don't make it.

I've had most of mine live through it, but only because I am well aware that this is always going on in litters, and will test that the runt is feisty enough, checking that he is actually latched on and not just looking like he is, or if he doesn't fight for it, I will take the others out throughout the day to ensure he IS eating plenty. Or of course supplement feed.

Anyway, it is very doable to get this baby past this point, simply by making sure he is taking in the same amt of formula as he was, be careful not to force it, but persistently offering it, or adding slight drops into his cheek for him to have to swallow it, like it or not.

He must gain daily, as you know.

It's MUCH easier to keep him going to get through this point, than it is to try to bring him back once the downhill slide starts.

So keep up the great job, it doesn't go on for long, suddenly he will act like his old self again and want lots of food and will be fine :)

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens don't need as much food as they grow up, so for each week, check the feeding guide to see what's recommended. As long as you're in between what it says there, I think it's fine. Some kittens eat exactly the minimum amount, and are happy with that, whilst others eat the maximum amount, and may still want more. 

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought some KMR in a can, to see if that appealed to him more. He is still eating, but stops a lot sooner than he used to; maybe he IS getting full.

He's still gaining weight, but perhaps not as much as I'd like. Does anybody know if I can give him pure meat baby food or Babycat wet food pureed with KMR, or will that hurt his digestive system?

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, something we have noticed, is his meow has changed. He does still meow/squawk, but sometimes he opens his mouth in a meow, but it's silent. Is that something we should be worried about, or is that normal?

mum2daisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, something we have noticed, is his meow has changed. He does still meow/squawk, but sometimes he opens his mouth in a meow, but it's silent. Is that something we should be worried about, or is that normal?
All 4 of mine do that at times so I don't think that's anything to worry about, how much weight is he gaining daily on average?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We bought some KMR in a can, to see if that appealed to him more. He is still eating, but stops a lot sooner than he used to; maybe he IS getting full.

He's still gaining weight, but perhaps not as much as I'd like. Does anybody know if I can give him pure meat baby food or Babycat wet food pureed with KMR, or will that hurt his digestive system?
Honestly I would not try feeding him anything else at this point. He is too young and would be hard on his digestion.

Human babies are the same way, sometimes moms will start putting baby cereal in their babie's formula at 2 and 3 months old, and this is now proven to cause heart issues later in life.

They're just not ready for other foods yet, still developing.

As I said before, just do anything you can to get the same volume of formula in him until he gets through this.

He should gain the same amt daily that he was gaining before his appetite decreased and he was doing fine.