New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

My cats get the Innova Dry Cat food and tuna, real tuna. I never really trusted ANY can cat/dog food, it always looked like vomit.

Just my two cents.

PS. My cats NEVER have any health problems, one is 9 going on 10 and the other is about 2-3.
My cats never took to the innova but it's great you have found a food program that works well for yours

I think the key is finding what works best for your pets. Admittedly, i raised 2 cats to 17 and 19yrs on nothing but cat chow and fancy feast
they never had a health problem and obviously lived a good, long life.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to go out on a limb here. I feel TERRIBLE for anyone who had a pet directly affected by tainted food. I do have some thoughts about Natural Balance, though. Call me a crazy cat lady, but....

--They (NB) only say "consumer complaints". Consumers are very paranoid right now, and rightfully so. If they see *anything* odd, they won't hesitate to call NB and complain. I would like to think, since there is no actual 'recall' on the NB (yet), that their voluntary removal of the 2 products is just NB being VERY proactive.

--NB is in a very precarious position, as they are one of the very very few foods that are not only NON-menu but also readily available at Petco. Others are harder for most people to find. A LOT of people have just switched to this food.

--A lot of people switched to the NB food "cold turkey", no gradual transition...again, rightfully so, but not easy on the digestive system, i.e. the vomiting issue.

--A lot of people had their pet's blood-work checked for the very first time because of the recall issues. I wonder how many pre-existing or early stage kidney problems were first diagnosed because of this? Just a thought.

I understand the reasoning behind discontinuing use of the NB food, however given the facts, I am still comfortable with their canned products and the "unaffected" dry products, at least .

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

My cats never took to the innova but it's great you have found a food program that works well for yours

I think the key is finding what works best for your pets. Admittedly, i raised 2 cats to 17 and 19yrs on nothing but cat chow and fancy feast
they never had a health problem and obviously lived a good, long life.
Well, I used to use the best dry supermarket type dry food, then after all this about recalls, recalls, and more recalls I did some research on this website and found that the Innova has less additives than even the best supermarket types. Also, during the recall I found my cats always vomiting due to two reasons:

Overfeeding-leaving out the dry 24/7
Cheap dry food-even tho I thought it was the best.

O, and by the way, after I threw out the supermarket dry dog and cat food and got the quality dry food, my pets never noticed a difference and IF THEY DID, they know that they have no choice because MOMMY HAS THE LAST WORD ON FOOD.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beandip--

I have dangled on your limb too
I have seen this time and time again when people switch over to a premium diet.

NB stated complaints of vomiting (which didn't phase me; again, I expect this in a switch). But the 'kidney issues'?? I expect more information on this.

Like you wondered, that begs the question, ok...were there kidney issues at work prior to a switch? And exactly *what* kidney issues?

It's an awful puzzle with some unanswerable questions. Once things spiral out of control like it has, the core of the issue is lost.

Two of my cats are refusing the NB Ultra dry and one cat is just BLAH since the attempted switch. I ride the fence between panicking but intellectualizing that I am paranoid and prior to the switch, no cat was on recalled food. He has always been more err...digestively-challenged.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jpawz...

Yes, the vomiting didn't phase me too much either. The mention of kidney issues is worrisome, like you said. I'm hoping that the mention of "kidney problems" on the NB site turns out to be an isolated, pre-existing case, and that NB chose to be brutally honest....which is something that has been lacking with some of the other companies, throughout this ordeal.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I am going to go out on a limb here. I feel TERRIBLE for anyone who had a pet directly affected by tainted food. I do have some thoughts about Natural Balance, though. Call me a crazy cat lady, but....

--They (NB) only say "consumer complaints". Consumers are very paranoid right now, and rightfully so. If they see *anything* odd, they won't hesitate to call NB and complain. I would like to think, since there is no actual 'recall' on the NB (yet), that their voluntary removal of the 2 products is just NB being VERY proactive.

--NB is in a very precarious position, as they are one of the very very few foods that are not only NON-menu but also readily available at Petco. Others are harder for most people to find. A LOT of people have just switched to this food.

--A lot of people switched to the NB food "cold turkey", no gradual transition...again, rightfully so, but not easy on the digestive system, i.e. the vomiting issue.

--A lot of people had their pet's blood-work checked for the very first time because of the recall issues. I wonder how many pre-existing or early stage kidney problems were first diagnosed because of this? Just a thought.

I understand the reasoning behind discontinuing use of the NB food, however given the facts, I am still comfortable with their canned products and the "unaffected" dry products, at least .
I don't think your limb climbing at all

I too wonder the same, as i said in another post the lady i buy most of my pet food from did mention pre-existing health issues with many pets on these diets and of coarse i agree everyone is super worried about their pets right now.

I am still using their UP with the cats and the dogs for that matter, of coarse i am watching them and checking DVP website for updates.

It's such a frustrating time.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BeanDip, my sister & I were just talking about some of those things last night. I truly feel that NB is just trying to do the best they can. I also agree with the statement that someone said that pets on allergy foods may be on other meds.
That being said, I also think that for the time being the correct thing to do is not feed the venison foods. Until there is evidence on what the issue is I will not feed my cats the venison wet food. (they won't be happy because the love it, but oh well)
Over all I'm a fan of NB & believe that they really are trying to do what's best. It's just such a scarry time that people are going to be on edge. I think may people probably feel the way I do and that is that I'm not 100% sure they have a clear understanding on what happend with the Menu foods, and until we as consumers are satisfied that we understand what went wrong we will stay on edge.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think if this was simple customer paranoia, that NB would not be stating that the problem is confined to a certain lot number.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think if this was a case of simple owner paranoia, that NB would not be stating that the problems seems to be confined to a certain lot number, nor would it be confined to a particular variety.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ladies and Gentleman ....

Remember ALL the recalls from menu to dingo and now natural balance HAVE been VOLUNTARY ... Lets all take a DEEP BREATHE

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Ladies and Gentleman ....

Remember ALL the recalls from menu to dingo and now natural balance HAVE been VOLUNTARY ... Lets all take a DEEP BREATHE
I haven't taken a good deep breath since all this started

I've decided to take a "wait and see" attitude, but while I'm waiting I'm not going to be feeding my babies any New Balance. I haven't rushed to return anything yet, because I do like their quality overall, and (more to the point), my cats like it. I haven't seen the promised update on their web page yet...

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sort of freaked out yesterday & after talking to my sister who is months away from having a PhD in cellular biology, I started to feel better. I was going to switch wet food brands all together, but instead I just bought additional cans that were not the venison (I know the wet food wasn't recalled, but it made me feel better.) My cats have done better on the NB wet food than any other wet food I've ever fed them. I did buy a couple cans of feliday just to have some food that was a differnt brand. I would actually like to switch to their light dry food, but last time I tried I did it too fast & it gave Isaac diarrhea. I don't relate this at all to the recalls because Isaac's stomache is sensitive to a switch in dry food.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
FYI, I just checked the ingredients of the Pea Venison vs the Ultra Premium. The UPremium does not contain any rice protein concentrate.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Now how does Melamine all of a sudden show up in not only wheat gluten, but rice protein concentrate? Oh my....
I find it suspisious but then again anything NOT made at the Manufacturer plant s was not a thought in premium before recall

i am off to the butcher for elk , turkey and beef

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:censor::censor::censor:!!!!!!! ANOTHER one recalled???? I just freakin' BOUGHT Natural Balance on Saturday because I wanted something that would be better for Ashie....I bought one can because I couldn't remember what you guys were recommending off the top of my head, but that came to mind....

The other I bought was Wellness...as recommended by our vet due to ingrediants (the first 3-4 being meats)....but when I went to a link provided in another thread here, apparently "some" if made by Menu. GRRRRRRR. So how do we know WHAT ones are?????? And if they have no wheat glutin crap in it, does it mean it is "safe"??

Oh wait. I forgot...Natural Balance. Guess not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

:censor::censor::censor:!!!!!!! ANOTHER one recalled???? I just freakin' BOUGHT Natural Balance on Saturday because I wanted something that would be better for Ashie....I bought one can because I couldn't remember what you guys were recommending off the top of my head, but that came to mind....

The other I bought was Wellness...as recommended by our vet due to ingrediants (the first 3-4 being meats)....but when I went to a link provided in another thread here, apparently "some" if made by Menu. GRRRRRRR. So how do we know WHAT ones are?????? And if they have no wheat glutin crap in it, does it mean it is "safe"??

Oh wait. I forgot...Natural Balance. Guess not.
RELAX.. that is my word of the MONTH

NB RECALLED only DRY and only it s venison

Yes Wellness canned are made by MENU but see the is Wellness safe to find out NOT THE Plant in ??? ....