New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we are on our way to switching dry food. I had planned on buying Evo, but when I talked to the people at the pet store they said that it's very rich food. My babies tend to have sensitive stomaches & when Levi was on Wellness it did terrible things to his stomache so I was afraid that EVO would do the same thing. So I went with California Natural.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Well we are on our way to switching dry food. I had planned on buying Evo, but when I talked to the people at the pet store they said that it's very rich food. My babies tend to have sensitive stomaches & when Levi was on Wellness it did terrible things to his stomache so I was afraid that EVO would do the same thing. So I went with California Natural.
CN isn't that part of innova? anyways, good luck i hope it works out for you!

Mine seem to be taking to the wellness indoor, more importantly my copper who i had to take away his venison.

Still gonna try for some orijen this weekend too.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been telling Scott of the recent recalls. We literally JUST finished out natural balance venison and green pea bag after Easter. We had to switch foods because of Summer getting 2 UTI's with crystals in less than 2 months!

Maybe this food was the cause. We switched to that formula because Chevy was sensitive to their Ultra formula. Apparently, a Walmart in the area was still selling recalled pet food!!!!

When they announced this, they mentioned the Natural Balance. Without missing a beat, Scott jumped off his chair and went to the closet I keep the cat food in and looked and said "What?!?!? I SWEAR we had Natural Balance in here, I KNOW I've seen it!!!"

I then told him he wasn't crazy, and that we just finished the bag, but I switched due to Summer's UTI's. He said "Well, maybe THAT'S why!!!" He then asked what was safe anymore. I've been telling him as I hear it, but obviously he wasn't listening when I told him about our food a few days ago. Come to think of it, she's had all of her UTI'S being on some form of Natural Balance.

I thought it was a good food. I feel bad that I was probably giving them contaminated food, but there is nothing I can do about it since we finished the bag already....

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a good food. I feel bad that I was probably giving them contaminated food, but there is nothing I can do about it since we finished the bag already....
I think it was not likely to be contaminated if you finished the bag around Easter. It was new bags that had the recent formula change that were effected.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been feeding mine California Natural Chicken and Rice for the past several weeks. I switched to that because of the wheat gluten issue (I was actually transitioning them to it anyway). They like it, and they're doing well on it so far. I'm a little nervous because of the rice, but it's not the rice protein and the web site swears they aren't one of the 5 companies in the recall. And my two totally rejected the Wellness Core I bought last night, so I had to give them something they would eat. At this point, I don't trust any company, and I"m just hoping for the best.

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

At this point, I don't trust any company, and I"m just hoping for the best.
Same here.
What more can we really do with all of these recalls popping up everywhere? I don't even trust myself to make food for her. I barely even trust myself to make food for ME!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to 2 differnt guys at the pet store & I believe CN is made by the same company as Innova. The first guy I talked to (and felt had done some of his own research) said that the company that makes CN & Evo is the one company he would least expect to see recalling food. He said if they have to recall food, he will be at a complete loss and would have no foods left to suggest. Even though it has brown rice at this point I feel preety comfortable with it, who knows by tomorrow that could all change.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I talked to 2 differnt guys at the pet store & I believe CN is made by the same company as Innova. The first guy I talked to (and felt had done some of his own research) said that the company that makes CN & Evo is the one company he would least expect to see recalling food. He said if they have to recall food, he will be at a complete loss and would have no foods left to suggest. Even though it has brown rice at this point I feel preety comfortable with it, who knows by tomorrow that could all change.
Yes Natura is the parent company ... they cover Innova , Cal natural , evo and healthwise and organic line is karma ... I would expect a recall if this moves to whole grains... After the menu fiasco the VP of Natura stated they would be making there own plant ( yet to be seen if Menu will stop making there wets)... ANY COMPANY could end up with a recall , remember this during the MENU recall ( covering the first three weeks of it ) there were 10 different HUMAN food recalls

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I promised I would report back after taking Kabou to the vet due to loose stinky stools for a couple of days. She eats the NB Chicken & Liver and Turkey & Gizzard and Nutro Natural Choice Indoor dry, which has rice protein. concentrate. I was really upset yesterday and quite panicked. I decided to hold off going to the vet until I could observe her more. And quite frankly, the vet I was scheduled to see doesn't really care for the more natural pet food............likes Purina. I also made this decision because Kabou's symptoms are different than the melamime symptoms. I fed her boiled chicken for dinner last night. She pooped during the night, but with litter on it, it's hard to tell the consistency. So, I had already scheduled the afternoon off from work for a medical procedure prep and decided to take the morning off as well to do some cat food hunting. Here's what I bought: Nature's Variety Raw Instinct Grain Free kibble; Small bag of Nature's Variety chicken and turkey raw; California Natural Chicken and Rice kibble. I bought the CA Natural b/c Kabou is/was having a stool issue and tends to throw up rich food. Now I have to make a decision: (1) Stop Nutro NC dry completely and mix CA Natural with grain free or (2) mix Nutro, which they are used to, with grain free. It sounds like a no brainer I know, but I hate to upset Kabou's tummy! I gave both cats two pieces of grain free to see if they would eat it and they did and didn't throw it up. Any suggestions? I can't stop feeding kibble because my male Brandon eats very little wet. I am not going to start them the raw until I am certain Kabou is okay. I want to take it slowly.

I was happy to see the update from NB website when I logged in. Thanks to all of you for the great posts and updates! They got me through the day yesterday. I too worried I was going to be fired for spending most of my day either here on the the web.