The 2024 Gardening Thread

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Uh-oh. I messed up. You know those 9 Carmen pepper plants? Well, 8 of the pots were actually 4 in each pot! Oops! We have 33 pepper plants. Man, if they all grow and do well, we're going to inundated with peppers. Rick just looked at me and said, "Pamela, Pamela, Pamela" as he was shaking his head. Oh boy!

Four (and only 4) tomato plants. They're just regular tomatoes, beefy for slicing purposes.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waiting to be able to plant Dahlia tubers. Ground is ready , have a few more pots to do. Needs to be a little warmer.
Where’s your garden? (City/county and state are enough.)

You may have more leeway than you think. I’m in California now but back in Ohio dahlia tubers often wintered over in the ground.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh. I messed up. You know those 9 Carmen pepper plants? Well, 8 of the pots were actually 4 in each pot! Oops! We have 33 pepper plants. Man, if they all grow and do well, we're going to inundated with peppers. Rick just looked at me and said, "Pamela, Pamela, Pamela" as he was shaking his head. Oh boy!

Four (and only 4) tomato plants. They're just regular tomatoes, beefy for slicing purposes.
Maybe find a way to preserve the pepper surplus? Pickle or dry or both?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was out cleaning out the yard today and when I got to the one of the bird baths, the absolute grossest thing. Not just the furry bits of flesh but the entire lower body half of some furry little creature - baby bunny or baby squirrel. Darn crows.
Hawk killed a bluejay......ton feathers obviously a bluejay but no bird body.Found a fox head on our property and recently a dead raccoon. Never a dull moment just some really gross ones. Crows are the size of chickens here. We are across from a corn field.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Hawk killed a bluejay......ton feathers obviously a bluejay but no bird body.Found a fox head on our property and recently a dead raccoon. Never a dull moment just some really gross ones. Crows are the size of chickens here. We are across from a corn field.
Our are pretty large but not as big as yours!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went from soggy to HOT back to damp here. DH and I got trex decking boards and these concrete corner things to fix one of my raised beds that has literally fallen apart. The ground slopes just a bit there and has settled more as old tree roots decayed under ground in that area. But it's been too wet to do anything. DH has plans to basically give it a concrete footing and level the area off a bit. The grass seed we put down should be happy though.

My potted flowers are looking good but I'm excited to see seeds sprouting. I don't think my coneflowers made it. I probably waited too long to clear the weeds from around them. I think they need more sun. I might try to add soil where they are planted along the side of the house to raise the ground there. I have some extra bags of soil from last year; but the ants have gotten into them and I'm not spreading that up against my house! :cringe:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's already hot where I live. We could still have a hail storm, which show up anytime, or a cold snap. The chances are improving, but we're had freezing temperatures in May before.

DH got our garden started. We agreed to get three plants each. I usually get a few tomatoes I am familiar with and at least one I've never tried. This time, I couldn't find my old friend, the dependable Better Boy, at the store we where we went. I ended up getting three types of tomatoes I've never grown: Pink Brandywine, Creole (I was really excited to find it) and a Patio tomato. DH got an Early Girl, a Red Beefsteak, and a Big Boy. My goal is to have tomatoes coming in at different times in the growing season.

Winchester Winchester , I have kind of an embarrassing story involving banana peppers. I bought a plant and it did quite well. I went out and picked some, eager to try them. I washed one and bit into it. It tasted awful. I called my dad and asked him why my banana peppers didn't taste like the ones at Subway. He said, "That's because the ones at Subway are pickled." I honestly didn't know. :disappointed:

IzzysfureverMom IzzysfureverMom what do you think happened to the body less fox?

Last edited:

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a garden, only a small balcony but it has too much sun so I won't be planting veggies this year. I planted a lemon tree in 2019 from a single seed and it sadly dried out this year because I didn't take enough care of it while moving. But I have 7 new seeds that are opening up and I will plant them today! So in 3 to 15 years I might grown my own lemons :D
1000027098.jpg

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's already hot where I live. We could still have a hail storm, which show up anytime, or a cold snap. The chances are improving, but we're had freezing temperatures in May before.

DH got our garden started. We agreed to get three plants each. I usually get a few tomatoes I am familiar with and at least one I've never tried. This time, I couldn't find my old friend, the dependable Better Boy, at the store we where we went. I ended up getting three types of tomatoes I've never grown: Pink Brandywine, Creole (I was really excited to find it) and a Patio tomato. DH got an Early Girl, a Red Beefsteak, and a Big Boy. My goal is to have tomatoes coming in at different times in the growing season.

Winchester Winchester , I have kind of an embarrassing story involving banana peppers. I bought a plant and it did quite well. I went out and picked some, eager to try them. I washed one and bit into it. It tasted awful. I called my dad and asked him why my banana peppers didn't taste like the ones at Subway. He said, "That's because the ones at Subway are pickled." I honestly didn't know. :disappointed:

IzzysfureverMom IzzysfureverMom what do you think happened to the body less fox?
Don't really know. It was pretty far out back . Very young fox .Head was in perfect condition. Would not have even seen it if I had not been doing a walk around in very early spring to check plants for damage and start getting and idea of work needing to be done. Not a vulture they would have went after the head as well.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fancy tulips are all done, but we have others that come on later, and they are just coming into bloom now.
IMG_2557.JPG

There are several others putting on a show now
English daisies
IMG_2553.JPG

'Winky' Aquilegia
IMG_2554.JPG

'Storm Cloud' Amsonia
IMG_2556.JPG

Bugleherb
IMG_2555.JPG

'Wine and Roses' tulip mix
IMG_2559.JPG

Also, my container potatoes have all emerged
IMG_2560.JPG

And Michele's milkweed plants are just starting to show. She always gets antsy, even though I have told her numerous times that they are among the last plants to show.
IMG_2558.JPG