The 2024 Gardening Thread

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Anyone have any big plans for their gardens this year?

2023 was a big fail for me as a didn't even get all of the flower gardens cleaned out, never mind plant a vegetable garden. This year a hope to at least get them all cleaned out. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We did our vegetable seed order, both from Burpee and from Guerney:

Corn - I'd like to try dehydrating corn this year.
Red Beets - another seed tape
Peas - We had good luck with peas last year, so we're planting more
Potatoes - I wasn't crazy about the Kennebec potatoes last year; we're trying Yukon Golds
Lima Beans - trying two kinds, one is a bush and the other is a pole

We ordered a strawberry planter that we can put into the raised bed and build up. We have a strawberry raised bed, but the plants are scattered about and need some kind of organization.

Our local nursery has Carmen peppers, so closer to planting time, we'll go there for a few pepper plants, some tomato plants, a couple zucchini and yellow squash plants, and whatever else strikes our fancy.

I'd really like to try a grape arbor.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Potatoes - I wasn't crazy about the Kennebec potatoes last year; we're trying Yukon Golds

We ordered a strawberry planter that we can put into the raised bed and build up. We have a strawberry raised bed, but the plants are scattered about and need some kind of organization.

Our local nursery has Carmen peppers, so closer to planting time, we'll go there for a few pepper plants, some tomato plants, a couple zucchini and yellow squash plants, and whatever else strikes our fancy.

I tried growing Yukon Gold potatoes last year, but had little success. The Pontiac Reds, however, did pretty good, for my first attempt. I have seed for Detroit Red beets, Provider green beans, Cherry Baby tomatoes, Nantes carrots, and Burpless Beauty cucumbers so far. In another few weeks I'll be starting them indoors.
Oh, and where I had the butternut squash and cucumbers last year, I'm planning on two or three blueberry bushes. There was too much shade from the neighbor's black walnut tree, and I got some pretty bad powdery mildew on the plants, even though I had them on trellises.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We've grown yukon golds for several years now and have always been very happy with them.Our problem is that we don't have any place to store them for the winter,but they've always produced well for us,and the flavor is wonderful.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester our grape arbor was wonderful. I found some grape varieties for sale online that were rated by different categories, such as self-polination and sweetness. The first year they bore grapes, I couldn't get over how delicious they were. After that, the grapes disappeared. I blamed the Japanese beetles.

One day, the man who helps my husband in the yard said we had the best grapes he'd ever tasted. It was him, all the time! He was eating our grapes! Now my entire vines are gone, leaving me to wonder if he dug them up and put them in his own yard. Please let the record show that I would rather have let the beetles have them. :angryfire:

I don't even know the name of the business I bought them from.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower started inside today. I also started some flowers- more coneflowers and some asters. I also transplanted the dahlia seedlings into a bigger tray. Then I spent the afternoon clearing up the rest of the leaves off the lawn. I didn’t get it done in the fall because I wasn’t feeling well. Yesterday I started pruning my big apple tree and my nectarine. I brought some of the trimmings inside to bloom and added some pussy willow too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In taking a tour around the gardens yesterday, since the snow is gone- at least for the time being- I saw the dwarf crocus are carpeting the place; the tulips and daffodils are springing up, and the Aquilegia are greening up, but two of the three Dianthus appear to have given up the ghost. Also, it looks like squirrels have dug up several of the iris that I planted last fall. It's still too early to tell what else may have been lost over the winter, as while we had cold temperatures, we didn't have a blanket of snow for protection.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ground has thawed to the point where I can prep for my rearrangement of the raised beds. I've removed the sod and leveled up the ground; next is putting down landscape fabric, then building the beds. Because space is limited, there will be four of them, each 6 feet by 30 inches, with two feet between them. The first, going from south to north, will consist of 2x6 red cedar, two courses high. The next will be one course of 2x6 and one of 2x8, while the third and fourth will be 2x8, two high. I figure to plant onions, carrots, and beets in the first, green beans in the second, tomatoes in the third, and squash and cucumbers in the fourth. Since they will have an east- west orientation, there shouldn't be a problem with anything being shaded out. The finishing touch is to put wood chips between the beds, and mesh around each one to keep the rabbits at bay.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last Tuesday we had a tree crew (4 people) here cutting and cleaning from the house towards the street. Here's a before. And an after.

Tree Work_2024-03_timber stand before-reduced.jpg . Tree Work_2024-03_timber stand after-reduced.jpg

They cleared out scrubby brush and trees, chipped all of that plus fallen stuff, took it away. We kept a bunch of logs from standing dead ash that was cut down. The woman driving the skid steer did very well at avoiding daffodils. We're quite pleased.

And I got enough pictures for a good entry on my website.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got the sod cleared away, the landscape fabric down, the first bed assembled and filled with a mix of compost, manure, and soil........and right on cue, it snowed for 3 days straight, and this morning it was 16°F when I first looked. It may get into the 50s next week- or it may not. Ah, the joys of gardening. I'm debating whether to start planting seeds indoors now, or, given the weather we had last year, waiting another couple of weeks yet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like farmers here wait a little longer on some crops. I’m anxious to get some mini roses in the ground that I picked up in a local store on clearance after Valentines day. The cat tree is looking like a plant stand at the moment.

I want to find an orange rose bush to plant for my mom’s cat Pumpkin. I have yellow for Noodle already. Pumpkin was a lighter orange tabby so I’m trying to find something that makes me think tabby. I have 1 cat statue out there. I’d love another since I seem to be making a cat memorial garden…