New Here... My cat isn't eating or drinking

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a poison control number on the can of paint that you can call? Or maybe call the ASPCA poison control number? ASPCA may charge you, not sure if the poison control number on a can of paint would know what to do in the case of a kitty, but might be worth a shot. Have the can of paint with you when you call so you can read the ingredients if need be.

Your vet should listen to what you're telling him/her. This is just incomprehensible that they aren't. Depending on any caustic ingredients, they can burn inside the esophagus or stomach lining, etc. Black poo is indicative of blood in the stool.

Another thought: is the wound on his foot healed up? If not, it could be the wrong antibiotic was prescribed for the type of bacteria present.

Tell hubby next time he gets sick, he's on his own.
Not trying to make light of your situation, but hubby has to be more understanding, IMHO.

to you both!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hubby didn't have pets growing up, his parents put a bad taste in his mouth about pets and animals.  anytime they'd get a pet, they'd have it 2 weeks and then give it away.  So, in his mind if a pet is a problem you just get rid of it.  He has never understood the concept of 'loving an animal' and has thought it to be absurd.  Especially people spending all kinds of $ to save their pet.  After all they're JUST an animal.  Where I've been on the other side of the fence, an animal lover who finds a cat a family member.  Complete opposites. :(  

He pooped a good size poop a few minutes ago.  I am completely out of cell phone minutes.  I'd love to call around places to find an ultrasound that I can convince my hubby to do, but HE will have to do the calling!  And no, I don't have a home phone :(  I went to the store last night and got some aloe juice which is supposed to help coat things and make them feel better, and also some herb that is supposed to promote healing in the body, all of which are safe for cats.  I'm going to give it a few more days.  I will tell you that the feeding I just gave him, he didn't freak out.  So, I m thinking that perhaps it is hurting less??  If he doesn't improve at ALL in the next few days, I"ll just surrender him to the animal shelter or something, IDK :(  But that would also mean that they'd never let me adopt again either.  I adopted our other kitty there.  She is SUPER sweet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"ll just surrender him to the animal shelter or something, IDK :(  But that would also mean that they'd never let me adopt again either.  I adopted our other kitty there.  She is SUPER sweet.
Know that if you do that, they will will very, very, very (VERY) likely put him down. If you surrender and healthy animal chances are high already..... A sick one is pretty much 100%. :(
I am SO sorry :(
:hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:( :( :(  I hate this.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that the aloe does not contain sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate. Those are bad for kitties and can cause digestive upset and diarrhea. George's Aloe Juice is a good one or Lily of the Valley no-preservatives brand (this is the ONLY product in their product line of aloe that is safe for kitties).

Is the herb you are using Slippery Elm Bark (SEB)? That is a very healing herb that coats and soothes irritation and promotes healing that you make into a gruel mixture and syringe (I've mixed it in food for a kitty that doesn't take kindly to being syringed--I don't find this method to be as effective though). You can buy this at most health food stores in bulk or capsule form. To make SEB: Add 1/4 tsp of the bulk powder to 2 tablespoons of boiled water. It'll thicken as it sits. Powder from capsules isn’t as strong, so if you are using that, add 1/2 tsp to 2 tablespoons of water. I quadruple this when I make it and store in the fridge for up to a week. Sometimes I even make it a bit thicker than this too.

There are very few herbs that are safe for kitties, so that is why I asked if it is SEB.

Is he peeing okay? Normal amount and size?

Sending healing
that he feels better soon!

Last edited:

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah oh course I got the wrong aloe. figures :(  I don't have the slippery elm.  I should have asked here before I went out I guess!  :( :( :(

I am beginning to give up hope.  He isn't going to get better.  A vet that I've been talking to through a friend thinks that maybe he has FIP and this was just the icing on the cake.  He didn't have kidney or liver failure and just the elevated white blood cells.  From her experiences, cats that have it just don't recover from injuries and illnesses and usually dont' make it past 2years old.  Who knows. maybe it is that, maybe it isn't.  I don't know.  All I know is I have tried everything I can and nothing is helping.  

well right now he is eating an actual piece of fish.  Just as I'm giving up on him, right??  I hate this.  it is like an emotional rollercoaster.    Anytime he eats though he acts funny afterwards, like breathes weird.  IDK.  woah, he ate more.  

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am beginning to give up hope.  He isn't going to get better.  A vet that I've been talking to through a friend thinks that maybe he has FIP and this was just the icing on the cake.  He didn't have kidney or liver failure and just the elevated white blood cells.  From her experiences, cats that have it just don't recover from injuries and illnesses and usually dont' make it past 2years old.  Who knows. maybe it is that, maybe it isn't.  I don't know.  All I know is I have tried everything I can and nothing is helping.  

well right now he is eating an actual piece of fish.  Just as I'm giving up on him, right??  I hate this.  it is like an emotional rollercoaster.    Anytime he eats though he acts funny afterwards, like breathes weird.  IDK.  woah, he ate more.  
Did the vet say what type of white blood cells were elevated (neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils)? This would be helpful to know as soon as you can get this information if you don't have it.

it's so great that he is showing interest and eating food!
He could be breathing weird after eating because the mucosal lining of his digestive tract is irritated. Can you get some SEB? It's not expensive, but is very helpful in promoting healing.

Please don't give up hope, hon.
Your little fella has his age on his side. I would also not jump to the "FIP" diagnosis right now.

Last edited:

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He threw up in the night.  He hasn't done that in 3 weeks :(  He isn't happy.  I think that he has just gone too far now :(  I am giving up hope.  He is still peeing and pooping, but I just don't know.  

How long does it take for the slippery elm to work?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hun, I know it is not right to dispense medical advice here..... but you are in a dire situation, so here it goes:
The pepcid dosage is too low - it should be 1 pepcid a day (instead of 1/4). Also, give it at night, before going to bed. If you give it before a meal, it will work for that meal only - but if you give it at night, before going to bed, it will work for the next 24 hours. One pepcid is the dosage for ulcer. Just make sure it is the 10mg, pure pepcid. The one you have. 1/4 is not going to do anything.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can I give one right now and then one tonight?  or do I need to wait until tonight?

He just ate more fish. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can I give one right now and then one tonight?  or do I need to wait until tonight?

He just ate more fish. 
You can't give 2 a day..... But you can give 1/2 now and 1/2 tonight, then start giving one per day tomorrow night.....

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will try it.  and I can try to find the slippery elm.  Maybe I'll give him until saturday and see how he does.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope he isn't aspirating the food.
Are you syringing food from the side of his mouth or front? You should be doing it from the side of his mouth (not from the front), and small amounts to give him time to swallow.

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
from the side.  

he hasn't been doing that the past 2 days.  I wonder what was up?

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you all on Pretzy.  He's been eating bits of food all day long today!  

I started him on the L glutamine the other day, maybe 2 days ago?  1 1/2? can't recall.  Last night (after i surrendered to the fact that he isn't ever going to get better), he ate 3 bites of fish, which is more than he's had in 3 weeks.

At this very moment, I am passing him pieces of fish over and over. and he is eating EVERY ONE!  I doubt he never eats cat food again after this haha!   Well, today I went and got some of the slippery elm bark and started giving that to him.  I didn't think it would help but I did it anyways.  and I started on the higher dose of pepcid this morning.   I haven't fed him by syringe at all today.  he's been jumping up on the counter looking for food when he is hungry, so I break out the fish or turkey or hamburger :)  .  I haven't seen him drink yet though.  Do I need to give him fluids?  Do you think he'll drink on his own??

I really hope we are turning a corner here.  How long will it take for him to gain his weight back?  He has lost a LOT of weight. :(

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update you all on Pretzy.  He's been eating bits of food all day long today!  

I started him on the L glutamine the other day, maybe 2 days ago?  1 1/2? can't recall.  Last night (after i surrendered to the fact that he isn't ever going to get better), he ate 3 bites of fish, which is more than he's had in 3 weeks.

At this very moment, I am passing him pieces of fish over and over. and he is eating EVERY ONE!  I doubt he never eats cat food again after this haha!   Well, today I went and got some of the slippery elm bark and started giving that to him.  I didn't think it would help but I did it anyways.  and I started on the higher dose of pepcid this morning.   I haven't fed him by syringe at all today.  he's been jumping up on the counter looking for food when he is hungry, so I break out the fish or turkey or hamburger :)  .  I haven't seen him drink yet though.  Do I need to give him fluids?  Do you think he'll drink on his own??

I really hope we are turning a corner here.  How long will it take for him to gain his weight back?  He has lost a LOT of weight. :(
That is wonderful news!!

He may be getting some moisture/water from the tidbits you're feeding him, but I would test his hydration level (pinch up some skin on his neck--if it goes right back down he is good) or you can feel his gums--if they feel sticky instead of slick, he needs water. You can syringe water by mouth, just small amounts 5-10mL at a time. Or, if your darn vet was cooperative you could get Lactated Ringers Solution (LRS) and do sub-Q fluids at home (5-10mL per pound of Pretzel's weight).

Could you mix extra water in with the fish or beef or turkey and get him to eat this on his own? Maybe try pureeing the meat and add extra water? One thing, if having to do the fish, etc. long term, we need to have a discussion about balancing the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Meats contain more phosphorus and not much calcium, so a calcium supplement would need to be added.

What kind of fish are you feeding him? A steady diet of fish is not a good idea, especially tuna, but if he's eating it that may lead to eating more of the turkey or beef.

Does Pretzel like egg yolks? You could offer him an egg yolk (not the egg white unless you cook that part--it binds with biotin [in the egg yolk], so would not be good). Egg yolks are nutritious so maybe something else to help while he's getting his appetite back. It can take him some time to gain the weight back, but by golly! he's eating!! Yay!!!!!

Go Pretzel go!!!!!

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he doesn't seem dehydrated.  his gums are nice and wet!  he is back to eating the fish again. :)  I think it is haddock? it was whatever was leftover from dinner last night and he was taking it from the kids plate.  So, i've been giving him some all day. whatveer works! :) :) :)

I can try egg yolks.  I tried eggs last week, but he would't eat it.  maybe he'll try it this time!

sheeshshe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HE IS DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! right this very moment! Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and he keeps poking his head in the dry food... but nothing yet.

I can't believe this.  this is amazing so amazing!

Whollycat... I can't reply to your pm tonight, but will do so in the morning :)  Apparently there is a 5 pm per day limit and I've met it bc I'm too chatty LOL!!!  

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HE IS DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! right this very moment! Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and he keeps poking his head in the dry food... but nothing yet.

I can't believe this.  this is amazing so amazing!

Whollycat... I can't reply to your pm tonight, but will do so in the morning :)  Apparently there is a 5 pm per day limit and I've met it bc I'm too chatty LOL!!!  
Only fellow kitty lovers can get this excited about the simple everyday things we take so for granted, like eating, drinking, pooing, and peeing.
Oh man...
(happy tears!). And to think all seemed lost a few days ago. He's not out of the woods yet, but keep up the Pepcid, Glucosamine, and SEB...and offering food...and prayers. What can I say? We'll "talk" more tomorrow via PM.

Do you have any canned kitty food to put out for Pretzel? That would be so much better for him than kibble/dry food. Just sayin'

Go Team Pretzel!!!