New cat wants to play but old cat wants none of it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After the incident and their separation her behavior went straight back to her confident self. Tail up walking around normally. I played with her about an hour later and she was fine. Separate there's no change in their behavior even after incidents like that. Minus when they're together they both act completely confident.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that is great. One of the things we look for is how fast they recover from a negative encounter.

So she is in a better place given her fast rebound. That is a good positive.

So let's really work on them having a positive encounter even if it is a distance away and for a short time. Then slowly build on that. Let's have them be together but try to get them focused on something other than the other cat. Just being together without a negative encounter. Even if it is 30 seconds. Keep feeding them near and ending it before they get into anything. If we can get them to look away from the other one that is a great sign. Just keep working on getting them to think "I know that cat, that cat is cool, I am not worried". I don't think he is worried about her (he just wants to play) but she is still leery (as resident cats usually are). I know it is very hard but if you can tire him out before they are together that could be helpful in reducing his desire to play with her.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello kashurr, I am reading every single bit of this thread since I am in very much the same situation, seeking every bit of advice I can! Except, I had to put my kitty Milo on prozac to help with getting my 2 re-re-re-re-reintroduced due to his aggression. After 5 weeks he is calmer. So thank you for this thread and everyone for all the advice.
I am just restarting introduction. Thanks calicosrspecial for all the time you spend. I will be gobbling up every bit of advice!
I did a barrier that swings open to separate like this, to make it easier for me to get from room to room, and when having the wood door open I have a long beach towel over so they can only view through an inch at the bottom, and can raise the towel when it's appropriate. However, I own my home so I could attach the gate/barrier to the door jamb.
Not sure with a rental if that's what you are in what would work- this is for convenience for me instead of doggie gates-https://www.pinterest.com/pin/514465957424060027/
Good luck to us both!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pearl99,

You are welcome.

If you need anything please message me or if you start a new post let me know you started a enw thread by messaging me and I will be happy to try to help.

Hang in there, sometimes it take time but with effort and knowledge it usually does work.