New brands of canned cat foods, including gluten and wheat free

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Will they match the subscribe and save discounts, though? I get 15% off for ordering it that way on Amazon.
I doubt Petco would go that far with a discount - I think it's just the base price of the product vs the extra discounts you'd receive from online retailers.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Our cats weren't big on NVI, either. I stopped feeding it because I got tired of picking out the vegetables and two cats would barely finish a small can.
I was using NVI LID duck but I stopped feeding it as well - way too fatty for my IBD cat (Mikey didn't like it, Molly loved it). Once in a while I may pick up the LID rabbit but lately they are really enjoying Weruva's Steak Frites - I love it b/c it is very low phosphorus with good protein although it does use potato starch which I try to drain. :(

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my rural area, the only local place to buy higher quality non-mainstream branded cat food is Tractor Supply and Family Farm and Home. We have no independent pet stores. They don't survive well in our rural area.
I'm sorry to hear that, hence I guess online retailers are the way to go for you.:)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was using NVI LID duck but I stopped feeding it as well - way too fatty for my IBD cat (Mikey didn't like it, Molly loved it). Once in a while I may pick up the LID rabbit but lately they are really enjoying Weruva's Steak Frites - I love it b/c it is very low phosphorus with good protein although it does use potato starch which I try to drain. :(
Yes, Brooksie loved Steak Frites when she was sick: I bought it, too, because of the low phosphorus and was surprised she'd eat it since she was a fish-centric cat. That was about two years ago and it had little chunks of potato (and pumpkin, too, I think) that I could pick out. Even so, it was a very good food for her.

NVI is odd food: cats seem to either love it or hate it, and those who love it seem to do very well on it. Despite the peas!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, Brooksie loved Steak Frites when she was sick: I bought it, too, because of the low phosphorus and was surprised she'd eat it since she was a fish-centric cat. That was about two years ago and it had little chunks of potato (and pumpkin, too, I think) that I could pick out. Even so, it was a very good food for her.

NVI is odd food: cats seem to either love it or hate it, and those who love it seem to do very well on it. Despite the peas!
I'm going to digress here a bit (sorry OP) - I called Weruva yesterday and mentioned that there are chunks of white potato in addition to the potato starch yet "potato" isn't listed on the ingredient list (sweet potatoes are). I told the cust service rep that if they were indeed sweet potatoes, wouldn't they be orangish in color? So I have to take a photo of the food and send it to her, very odd unless the sweet potato is cooked at such high heat it changes color?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Petco prices are definitely high! Even their Friskies is a good 10-12 cents more per can than other places. Wal-Mart charges $0.48 per can for Friskies, Petco charges $0.60, if I recall correctly.
Yes, they are high and I think you're right about the Friskies. I don't like going to Petco unless they are having a sale. I have to go there for the Soulistic since it's their house brand. All of my cats like the Good Karma. My biggest pet peeve with Petco is the difference in price on a lot of things online vs in store. I prices some litter online and it was $9.99. I got to  the store? $14.99. I priced a Feliway diffuser when Henry first came to live with us and online it was $29.99. In store? $49.99. There is no excuse for this. Petsmart has B&M stores also that have overhead and they don't have this big of a markup for shopping in store. I am almost certain that their online prices and in store prices are identical.

Petco will match other store's prices but their B&M stores will not match their OWN online prices. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to digress here a bit (sorry OP) - I called Weruva yesterday and mentioned that there are chunks of white potato in addition to the potato starch yet "potato" isn't listed on the ingredient list (sweet potatoes are). I told the cust service rep that if they were indeed sweet potatoes, wouldn't they be orangish in color? So I have to take a photo of the food and send it to her, very odd unless the sweet potato is cooked at such high heat it changes color?
Those are supposed to be sweet potatoes!? Granted it's been two years since I've fed that food to anybody but I remember white chunks of vegetable matter that sure looked like regular old potatoes. My biggest concerns then were phosphorous levels, grain-free, and getting a very sick senior cat to eat so I didn't think much about the tubers!

Yes, they are high and I think you're right about the Friskies. I don't like going to Petco unless they are having a sale. I have to go there for the Soulistic since it's their house brand. All of my cats like the Good Karma. My biggest pet peeve with Petco is the difference in price on a lot of things online vs in store. I prices some litter online and it was $9.99. I got to  the store? $14.99. I priced a Feliway diffuser when Henry first came to live with us and online it was $29.99. In store? $49.99. There is no excuse for this. Petsmart has B&M stores also that have overhead and they don't have this big of a markup for shopping in store. I am almost certain that their online prices and in store prices are identical.
I suspect they count on people thinking their Petco Pals cards will offset the high prices. The cards do fine discounting some things (e.g. Nutro Natural Choice canned foods) but a $20 markup on a Feliway diffuser is pretty crazy. Petsmart is supposed to open here some day... the store is recognizable but it's still not on their list!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding problems I've seen with NVI grain free, once I opened a can of LID Turkey (I think it was turkey) and found it to be a bit too gray for my liking.  I know Montmorrillonaite clay (got no help from spell-check here) is one of the ingredients, but would that cause a grayish color?  I took it back to Petco for a refund which they gladly gave even without the receipt.  They see me in there weekly.  

I have another question about grain free foods.  Is Lamb really species-appropriate?  Could a cat catch a lamb?  Or would he?  I don't believe mouse and chipmunk and other little yard creatures are available commercially.  I also wonder if duck is appropriate.  

I've noticed too that Honey has some really loud bowel sounds lately.  I wonder if she is eating the peas in the NVI?  So if that's the case, i started removing them.  Maybe it's too much for her little gut.  I hope they have left all the peas whole and not mushed up in the food, if this is what's bothering her.  Time will tell.  

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A domesticated cat couldn't catch a lamb. But a lion definitely could!

Most of the items in commercial cat food are meats that a cat wouldn't be able to hunt without human assistance, with the exceptions of rabbit and quail.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Regarding problems I've seen with NVI grain free, once I opened a can of LID Turkey (I think it was turkey) and found it to be a bit too gray for my liking.  I know Montmorrillonaite clay (got no help from spell-check here) is one of the ingredients, but would that cause a grayish color?  I took it back to Petco for a refund which they gladly gave even without the receipt.  They see me in there weekly.  

I have another question about grain free foods.  Is Lamb really species-appropriate?  Could a cat catch a lamb?  Or would he?  I don't believe mouse and chipmunk and other little yard creatures are available commercially.  I also wonder if duck is appropriate.  

I've noticed too that Honey has some really loud bowel sounds lately.  I wonder if she is eating the peas in the NVI?  So if that's the case, i started removing them.  Maybe it's too much for her little gut.  I hope they have left all the peas whole and not mushed up in the food, if this is what's bothering her.  Time will tell.  
I'm not sure about the MC causing a grey tone in the food, I've never had that experience.  Petco btw, will take back anything - even if you opened it, e.g., bag of kibble or NV raw even.

Lamb is considered an exotic meat for cats as are other meats, e.g., venison, pork, beef, etc.  Exotic b/c it's not part of their natural diet - they wouldn't hunt a cow, lamb etc., however, if another animal were to hunt and kill a lamb, leaving behind some of the meat and a cat happened to come across it, the cat would likely feast on it as well versus passing it by.

Duck would be closer to their diet than lamb but ultimately it really depends on the cat. Some cats eat exotic meats - lamb, venison, buffalo even - and do well on these diets so I guess there isn't a one size fits all when it comes to different proteins, just trial and error and seeing what works best for your kitty.

My cats don't do well on lamb, it's a very "hot" protein, I tried it temporarily, they liked it but both had a bad (itchy) reaction.

There aren't that many peas in the Instinct food, I used to pick them out as well, they are either whole or in parts but seem visible enough to remove.  It would  be more difficult if you were feeding a food that used not only peas but "pea protein" or pea flour (like NB), which you can't remove.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
What I really hate is finding a decent cat food. And then suddenly they start snubbing it. Closer inspection shows the ingredients have changed. Usually not for the better.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What I really hate is finding a decent cat food. And then suddenly they start snubbing it. Closer inspection shows the ingredients have changed. Usually not for the better.
Yeah, that's unfortunate.  Sometimes not even the  ingredients change but the sourcing of a particular ingredient may have changed, unbeknownst to the customer which can alter the taste of the food as well. In some cases, different batches of food per best buy date also differ so the ingredients and sourcing may be the same but batch different nonetheless.

That's why if I have tried a food in the past that the cats didn't like, I don't rule out that food entirely but rather try again in the future b/c it may have a different palatability to the cats, despite the ingredients apparently remaining the same.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah, that's unfortunate.  Sometimes not even the  ingredients change but the sourcing of a particular ingredient may have changed, unbeknownst to the customer which can alter the taste of the food as well. In some cases, different batches of food per best buy date also differ so the ingredients and sourcing may be the same but batch different nonetheless.

That's why if I have tried a food in the past that the cats didn't like, I don't rule out that food entirely but rather try again in the future b/c it may have a different palatability to the cats, despite the ingredients apparently remaining the same.
Mine usually snub a food right after I buy a case of it 

What I do is hold it to the side, wait a while and then re-introduce it. It usually works. Using  topper like crumbled Pure Bites freeze dried chicken treats does too. I am never without a big (dog size) bag of those. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mine usually snub a food right after I buy a case of it 

What I do is hold it to the side, wait a while and then re-introduce it. It usually works. Using  topper like crumbled Pure Bites freeze dried chicken treats does too. I am never without a big (dog size) bag of those. 

Sorry, but I had to laugh.  It's so true, isn't it?

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Had the exact same thing happen on a can of NVI Beef recently, a bit grey in color and our cats wouldn't touch it (they've eaten NVI before).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Had the exact same thing happen on a can of NVI Beef recently, a bit grey in color and our cats wouldn't touch it (they've eaten NVI before).
I noticed it with the NVI vension and pork. I don't buy those kinds anymore. With NVI I generally stick to the chicken and LID turkey which I get through my Amazon subscribe and save. The foods have always looked normal from there. 

I get duck, rabbit and lamb from the Pride by Instinct line

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Interesting!  I know I didn't get beef because I never do.  Glad to know it wasn't an isolated case, that you kitties wouldn't touch it,  and that you returned it!  Smart kitties.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone is interested, here's what the Spring Naturals Minced Duck Entree in Gravy looks like:

I'm going to post a review for this.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to pick up several cans of Bravo's new Feline Cafe line - the 95% meat.  My local indy store here in NYC is selling the 5.5 oz cans for $2.30, way cheaper than other premium foods I use for the same size (although the 95% duck & turkey is $2.50 a can).  

I sampled the beef & turkey, both cats really liked it.  I was (and still am) a bit hesitant about this food only because of the protein in the green lipped mussels, I'm hoping they won't have a reaction.  (Both cats reacted to Ziwi Peak canned food which contains GLM, I fed this awhile back.)  I'll try the beef fricassee and turkey fricassee tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll be writing a review on it.  Also, if anyone is interested in finding out more about info re:  the nutrients, e.g., amino acids, calories, minerals (phosphorus) on a DMB, Bravo has a PDF link below the "Guaranteed Analysis" info for each product.

I just emailed Bravo to find out the DMB carb content for the 95% and Fricassee lines which are not currently listed, I'll post back when I hear from them.

Last edited: