New brands of canned cat foods, including gluten and wheat free

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sure - no problem! I'm surprised they didn't have that on their list, it is really very thorough otherwise.
I guess theoretically we could figure it out by adding up all the nutrients but you'd think they'd just include the carbs, too!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess theoretically we could figure it out by adding up all the nutrients but you'd think they'd just include the carbs, too!
I'm doing that now actually and double checking my math with the fnae.org calculator. :)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bravo's turkey fricassee, which is gravy based, comes up as 3.4% carbs on a DMB, far lower than the Steak Frites I've been using from Weruva, at 7.5%!

Just judging from the ingredients of Bravo's new line, it looks low carb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petco currenly has Under The Sun cat food on sale. The brand is grain free. The canned is pate and very few veggie / fruit stuff. It looks decent unless you want to avoid guar gum andcarrageenan, both of which the canned has.

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I decided to pick up several cans of Bravo's new Feline Cafe line - the 95% meat.  My local indy store here in NYC is selling the 5.5 oz cans for $2.30, way cheaper than other premium foods I use for the same size (although the 95% duck & turkey is $2.50 a can).  

I sampled the beef & turkey, both cats really liked it.  I was (and still am) a bit hesitant about this food only because of the protein in the green lipped mussels, I'm hoping they won't have a reaction.  (Both cats reacted to Ziwi Peak canned food which contains GLM, I fed this awhile back.)  I'll try the beef fricassee and turkey fricassee tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll be writing a review on it.  Also, if anyone is interested in finding out more about info re:  the nutrients, e.g., amino acids, calories, minerals (phosphorus) on a DMB, Bravo has a PDF link below the "Guaranteed Analysis" info for each product.

I just emailed Bravo to find out the DMB carb content for the 95% and Fricassee lines which are not currently listed, I'll post back when I hear from them.
I was able to get my hands on the beef/turkey, chicken, and duck/turkey. Food trials have thus far been... disappointing. 2 cans of the chicken have met a very lukewarm response + unfinished food. 1 can of the duck has met a similar fate, have yet to give them the beef/turkey.

Really disappointed, on paper the food was almost everything I was looking for, and our girls already love ziwipeak which also has green-lipped mussels and agar-agar. On the plus side, the food was quite moist for a pate.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was able to get my hands on the beef/turkey, chicken, and duck/turkey. Food trials have thus far been... disappointing. 2 cans of the chicken have met a very lukewarm response + unfinished food. 1 can of the duck has met a similar fate, have yet to give them the beef/turkey.

Really disappointed, on paper the food was almost everything I was looking for, and our girls already love ziwipeak which also has green-lipped mussels and agar-agar. On the plus side, the food was quite moist for a pate.
That's too bad, sorry to hear that.

The beef / turkey 95% went over well with my two cats (we can't do the chicken, allergic - and duck is too fatty for my IBD Molly). They liked the fricassee much better though, we've been using the turkey.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for writing to ask about the carbs!
Bravo never responded back with the info so I just did the calculations myself for the fricassee, it came up on the low end, if my math is correct.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet-Tao is another fairly new canned food. There are three canned formulas: turkey (claims to be organic) and is carrageenan and grain free; organic chicken (contains grains / no carrageenan); and pheasant, grain free but has carrageenan.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought two kinds of the Bravo foods today--duck/turkey dinner and turkey fricassee--to try. I think the store had all six kinds but it's turkey and duck I'm most looking to increase. (The cats already eat so much chicken!) Thanks again, @LisaMarie12, for noting these. I hope the cats like them.

I also saw "Simply 4ingredients" toppers/supplemental meals, which were pretty expensive (over $1 per 1.76 ounce pouch) and thickened with tapioca. That said, I can see where they might be very, very handy to entice a sick or picky cat: some are meat-only but others have fish so I can imagine that a little could go a long way. The four ingredients do not include gums or carrageenan and of course there isn't any menadione.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats didn't end up liking the Bravo chicken fricassee
I think maybe it has too much gravy for their liking. My ferals, however, are very happy to eat it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cats didn't end up liking the Bravo chicken fricassee
I think maybe it has too much gravy for their liking. My ferals, however, are very happy to eat it.
Sorry to hear that; my cats are now fussy with the turkey fricassee although I only rotate with one other brand of canned, other than the RC Mikey eats, maybe they just got tired of it, sigh .... :( It's a pity b/c it does seem to agree with Molly and her IBD, per what I've been told of her being fed the food the last two weeks, I haven't been home.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry to hear that; my cats are now fussy with the turkey fricassee although I only rotate with one other brand of canned, other than the RC Mikey eats, maybe they just got tired of it, sigh .... :( It's a pity b/c it does seem to agree with Molly and her IBD, per what I've been told of her being fed the food the last two weeks, I haven't been home.
It was worth trying so no regrets on my end. I like to give my outside cats a treat sometimes, anyway. My cats just really love raw, they go absolutely nuts for RC, but I can't afford to feed them all RC all the time. I think I'm going to place a big HT order and just try and feed more raw and stick with Ziwipeak, nutro, and weruva in the canned rotation, for now. But we'll see how long that lasts.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats lapped up their turkey fricassee: they loved it after getting over their initial reaction to new food. Which is usually sniffing, backing away, and then returning to the dish. We'll see how they do with the second installment later on...

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was worth trying so no regrets on my end. I like to give my outside cats a treat sometimes, anyway. My cats just really love raw, they go absolutely nuts for RC, but I can't afford to feed them all RC all the time. I think I'm going to place a big HT order and just try and feed more raw and stick with Ziwipeak, nutro, and weruva in the canned rotation, for now. But we'll see how long that lasts.
I really can't afford RC either but when I think of all the $$ I spend and canned food I throw out ... if I can get my Molly on board with RC, that would be helpful, even if just one meal a day, I'd be thrilled.

I want to try HT but that 10 lb minimum .... I can imagine getting 10 lbs of rabbit meat (and it has to be boneless - can't do ground bone any more really, other than a few Vital Essential treats I give Molly that have bone but not for meals) that the cats might reject - it's just not practical for me, unfortunately.

I think Missmimz, if you've found something that works with the combo you have of raw and canned, then more power to you. If it's all agreeable with the cats - and I know you've got a handful, then you are very fortunate.  :)

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The cats lapped up their turkey fricassee: they loved it after getting over their initial reaction to new food. Which is usually sniffing, backing away, and then returning to the dish. We'll see how they do with the second installment later on...
Oh, good for you! :) That is the one I've had success with although Molly is currently turning her nose up at it and is eating Steak Frites like she's discovered it for the first time.... glad to hear the turkey worked out, fingers crossed for tomorrow!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, good for you! :) That is the one I've had success with although Molly is currently turning her nose up at it and is eating Steak Frites like she's discovered it for the first time.... glad to hear the turkey worked out, fingers crossed for tomorrow!
It's funny about Steak Frites: Brooksie (our IBD/kidney cat, RIP) loved that stuff when she was sick. I fed it to her on a fork and I remember her eating half a can in one go, something that was very unusual. Edwina and Ireland, though, would just politely eat a few bites and walk away. (This was before I realized Edwina's delicate little system can't handle potato.)

But yes, they did like the Bravo turkey. There are still leftovers, for later today or tomorrow... we'll see how that goes!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really can't afford RC either but when I think of all the $$ I spend and canned food I throw out ... if I can get my Molly on board with RC, that would be helpful, even if just one meal a day, I'd be thrilled.

I want to try HT but that 10 lb minimum .... I can imagine getting 10 lbs of rabbit meat (and it has to be boneless - can't do ground bone any more really, other than a few Vital Essential treats I give Molly that have bone but not for meals) that the cats might reject - it's just not practical for me, unfortunately.

I think Missmimz, if you've found something that works with the combo you have of raw and canned, then more power to you. If it's all agreeable with the cats - and I know you've got a handful, then you are very fortunate.  :)
Cats are so strange. My old guy Fluff won't eat ANY canned food, nothing, but he eats raw. The other day I caught him eating Ziwipeak canned, I was kind of shocked, but I think he was just trying to get the treats on top and inadvertently got some of the food 

The first time i ordered from HT I got like 5lbs of rabbit thinking they'd eat it and none of my cats really liked it. They have since developed a pretty good appetite for rabbit so I might try again. I also buy the boneless chubs, as my old guy doesn't like bone, which only come in 1lb packages, so you def need a lot of space to store them, and because I live in AZ shipping is pricy. I don't think I'd use HT if I only have 1 or 2 cats, but I have a small cat farm right now so it works out pretty well