NEED OPINIONS - Let Blacky out or Force in house

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, you never stop worrying about them :) At some point you will probably not be as huped about her, and worried she might miss a meal, etc.

I have my doubts about her going back into the breezeway. I think an outdoor shelter will likely work best so she will use it.

Glad she is now "your" feral; :)

Oh, also meant to answer your question regarding mold. Yes. Same as humans. The spores get into the nose, nasal passages and lungs the same, and will cause problems in cats too.

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something just occurred to me as to why she is not using her shelter. Does it have one or two entries? Sometimes feral cats are uncomfortable with only one door (escape route). If it has one, cut another one. If it has two, clean it out and replace the blanket with straw. That does not wick up moisture like blankets

You are doing a great job. She's obviously "home," even though it is outside. And no, we never stop worrying about them!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Blacky does sound very happy and content.  Just because she is outside doesn't mean you still can't try to socialize her.  Going outside to sit with her, trying to play with her and just enjoying some time with her will really help her feel safe.  Maybe your boyfriend could help you put in a cat door so she could come onto the breezeway during the night if she wants or needs shelter.  You could close the cat door when you are out there with your cats. 

Keep us updated.  It's nice to know that Blacky is sticking close to home and seems very happy!!
Hi ShadowsRescue,

She may be happy but I worry about her.  I leave food out in the AM even if she is not there and it is gone when I get home.  I didn't get home until 9:30pm so she missed her supper but when I called her she came so she is near by.  I think she is staying in that empty house.  My only worry is that it has mold in it.  Do you know if cats are affected by mold?  Also, I set up a temporary feeding place for her a little bit from the stairs.  Should I feed her on the stairs near the breezeway door?  She is not using her house.  I put two blankets she used to sleep on in it and she dragged one of them out.  I am putting treats near the opening to entice her to sleep in it.  I am not comfortable with letting her in the breezeway while my cats are using it.  She can pick up things outside and I am not going to compromise their health in any way.  She can have the breezeway in the winter for shelter if she comes in it again but don't know she will.  I can  let her in and out too.  If she does use it then I can put a cat door for her to go in and out.  Tell me, do you ever stop worrying about them?  I try not to but can't help it.
I don't know about the mold.  I would assume that if she is exposed over and over again for hours each day, it's not good for her, but you have no way of keeping her out of the home.  Just try to make your yard very enticing for her so she won't want to be gone for extended periods. 

I would feed her near the breezeway so that when winter comes it will be an easier transition for her.  Just be sure to add the cat door in the early fall so she can adjust to it and realize that she is allowed to come and go. 

Unfortunately, you never stop worrying.  Each night when I go out to pick up the food, I tell my 2 "No bumps, no bruises, no cuts, no scrapes. Mommy loves you more than the moon and the stars and the sky above."  It's my little saying to them each and every night in hopes that it keeps them safe. 

I have surveillance cameras on my deck that are now used to see what happens each night.  You also can purchase a trail camera that snaps pictures when there is movement.  You then take out the removeable memory card and watch it from your computer (if your computer has a slot).  Sometimes you can find the camera for $60 or less.  They take good pictures at night.  I borrowed one from my brother once to see the wildlife in my yard at night.  It was amazing. 

Just continue to give Blacky love and a sense that you are her home!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is the door to this empty house left open? Usually with a vacant house, the doors are closed and locked--I'm surprised she has access to it at all. I'd be more concerned about someone closing the door some day while she's inside.

Do you know for sure that there's mold in the house? I wouldn't worry about the cat's exposure to mold. Mold can cause allergy symptoms, but cats are smart and will not linger near a substance that causes discomfort to their eyes or nasal passages.

Shadow is right about having a pet house or shelter that has an entrance and an exit. Ferals need to have an escape if a predator, such as a raccoon, were to corner them. My feral's pet house has both an entrance and exit. During the frigid cold last winter, Muffin allowed me to cover the entire house with several blankets and a sleeping bag which covered both doors because he realized he needed the protection from the cold, and there was no other wildlife around. However, he stopped using it altogether once the weather got warm, so it's packed away until winter. When there's a storm, he has other peoples' decks to take shelter under. Feral cats prefer not to be inside of anything if they can help it. Straw is way too confining and warm during the summer, but very dry and cozy in the winter.

Yes, I think it's clear you made the right decision by letting her out of the breezeway. You kept her in there 4-5 months, which was long enough for her to adjust if that was what she wanted. She obviously wants her freedom now, and is a happier cat who comes to you when called, which is a definite sign of trust. I worry about Muffin every day (I have a tendency to worry, though!) He didn't come around my porch for 48 hours last week, and as soon as he returned I did the check Shadow mentioned--making sure he had no injuries. I worry about him getting the cat flu again, or getting into a scuffle with raccoons, or going hungry while he's away. Over the past 3 years, I've nursed him through a serious upper respiratory and eye infection, an ear wound that became very infected, various small wounds from fighting, ticks hanging off his forehead, an intestinal virus, and sub zero weather and snow. I've also cared for the various girlfriends and kittens he's brought home (which are all fixed and adopted). He's managed to survive all these things for the past 4 years of his life, so I just have to continue to trust that if he does become ill or injured that he will continue to come to me for help. I hope that maybe some day he'll come inside my house, but I have to accept the fact that even if my life would be so much easier if he were inside (I haven't slept beyond daybreak in 3 years because it's breakfast time for him), that he has the right to choose to live his life as he wants to. 

I don't think you should be second guessing your decision now. Also remember that you, too, have hesitancy about bringing Blacky inside of your house or even allowing her to be around your other cats. She likely senses this hesitancy and fear in you, and wants to respect the space you consider to be yours and theirs. Until you feel comfortable to truly open up the door to your home for her, she will likely not want to come inside. I believe cats are more intuitive than we give them credit for. If she is ever to live inside of your house, you both need to be ready for this change. Right now, though, just enjoy the friendship you have with her and the trust she is showing you. And thanks for the updates!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something just occurred to me as to why she is not using her shelter. Does it have one or two entries? Sometimes feral cats are uncomfortable with only one door (escape route). If it has one, cut another one. If it has two, clean it out and replace the blanket with straw. That does not wick up moisture like blankets

You are doing a great job. She's obviously "home," even though it is outside. And no, we never stop worrying about them!
Hi Ondine, 

I have read that about the 2nd exit.  I don't have one but will put another.  She is so cute.  She stays out in the yard way past night. Last night I went out off and on to visit her till 11pm...way past my bed time LOL,  I will make another hole and see if she uses it and let you know.  Thanks a bunch.

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Why is the door to this empty house left open? Usually with a vacant house, the doors are closed and locked--I'm surprised she has access to it at all. I'd be more concerned about someone closing the door some day while she's inside.

Do you know for sure that there's mold in the house? I wouldn't worry about the cat's exposure to mold. Mold can cause allergy symptoms, but cats are smart and will not linger near a substance that causes discomfort to their eyes or nasal passages.

Shadow is right about having a pet house or shelter that has an entrance and an exit. Ferals need to have an escape if a predator, such as a raccoon, were to corner them. My feral's pet house has both an entrance and exit. During the frigid cold last winter, Muffin allowed me to cover the entire house with several blankets and a sleeping bag which covered both doors because he realized he needed the protection from the cold, and there was no other wildlife around. However, he stopped using it altogether once the weather got warm, so it's packed away until winter. When there's a storm, he has other peoples' decks to take shelter under. Feral cats prefer not to be inside of anything if they can help it. Straw is way too confining and warm during the summer, but very dry and cozy in the winter.

Yes, I think it's clear you made the right decision by letting her out of the breezeway. You kept her in there 4-5 months, which was long enough for her to adjust if that was what she wanted. She obviously wants her freedom now, and is a happier cat who comes to you when called, which is a definite sign of trust. I worry about Muffin every day (I have a tendency to worry, though!) He didn't come around my porch for 48 hours last week, and as soon as he returned I did the check Shadow mentioned--making sure he had no injuries. I worry about him getting the cat flu again, or getting into a scuffle with raccoons, or going hungry while he's away. Over the past 3 years, I've nursed him through a serious upper respiratory and eye infection, an ear wound that became very infected, various small wounds from fighting, ticks hanging off his forehead, an intestinal virus, and sub zero weather and snow. I've also cared for the various girlfriends and kittens he's brought home (which are all fixed and adopted). He's managed to survive all these things for the past 4 years of his life, so I just have to continue to trust that if he does become ill or injured that he will continue to come to me for help. I hope that maybe some day he'll come inside my house, but I have to accept the fact that even if my life would be so much easier if he were inside (I haven't slept beyond daybreak in 3 years because it's breakfast time for him), that he has the right to choose to live his life as he wants to. 

I don't think you should be second guessing your decision now. Also remember that you, too, have hesitancy about bringing Blacky inside of your house or even allowing her to be around your other cats. She likely senses this hesitancy and fear in you, and wants to respect the space you consider to be yours and theirs. Until you feel comfortable to truly open up the door to your home for her, she will likely not want to come inside. I believe cats are more intuitive than we give them credit for. If she is ever to live inside of your house, you both need to be ready for this change. Right now, though, just enjoy the friendship you have with her and the trust she is showing you. And thanks for the updates!
Hi Ms. Aimee,

It is not a door that is open to the empty house.  It is a loose board that leads to the cellar.  Do you think I should close it off?  I think she is happy outside.  She rolls around on the ground when I go out to talk to her and hangs out in the yard all night.  I hear and agree with you that she is probably better off and happier outside.  However, my biggest fear is that she will get injured or hurt and I won't be able to help her as I can't pet or get near her yet.  How would I take her to the vet?  I pray she stays safe and healthy.  I don't think she senses hesitancy from me to let her  in.  I have tried a couple times leaving my cats in door and leaving the breezeway door open sitting inside but she backs off.  I can't really blame her because she associates it now with being trapped. 

On another note, I went to a shelter tonight to look at an all white cat as I have been wanting one and since I don't think Blacky will ever become a house cat.  It is a boy and very scared.  They just trapped him last night with others.  He was very fearful but not so that he was trying to get away from me. no scrathing or "wild" behavior.  They said he is a feral and only about 8 weeks old.  I don't know if I should adopt him.  I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling like I did with Jojo and Dolly when I went to look at them but I know he was just trapped.  He is supposed to get neutered on Friday and I told them I would pick him up then.  I keep thinking that he was just to scared to be at ease right now.  The other thing is he has light blue eyes and I have read that 85% of all white cats with blue eyes are deaf.  I tried to shake some keys to see if he would react but I think he was just to scared for me  to tell.  What do you think?  He is so young but is feral.  The litter was found with no mom.  Should I go back on Friday and see how I feel about him then?  He will just have been neutered that day so I don't know if I will still get a good read on him and it is a 15 year commitment if I adopt him.  What are your thoughts.  Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just remember that a feral cat will need proper socialization and lots and lots of time.  You will need to keep him separate from your other indoor cats for awhile too.  Socialization of a feral kitten can be done, but you will need to spend lots of time with it.  You also will never know if it will be that warm cuddly kitten you seem to want.  Certainly it can happen, but not magically.  Have you ever socialized a feral kitten before?  He will be wild.  I have never socialized a feral kitten before.  Please do some research on socializing a feral kitten and determine if you are up for the rewarding challenge.  You also will have the task of introducing him to your other cats.  If you are not willing or unable to commit to the time necessary, I would wait to find a cat that is already socialized. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on time you can/want to put in.  A kitten at 8 weeks can get a good serious bite in and you have to accept that risk and know that if you need treatment that may open up new issues with it not having a rabies shot.  So make sure your 2 are UTD.  The way I tame is to cage them in a small cage for a few days and then work them into a larger one.  Being VERY careful about the bar spacing as boy can they squeeze out if they want to   At the end you will have to introduce kitten to your 2.  Usually the kitten takes it fine but it can really upset the residents and can change how they get along with eachother.  

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to say about the loose board that leads to the cellar. She evidentally likes going in there for shelter, so if there's no real danger in there that you know of, then I wouldn't worry about it or block her access.

I socialized a feral kitten last summer who was about 3 months old when I took him into my house (one of Muffin's offspring, Harry). I put him in a room by himself and he sat on the air conditioner and cried pretty well non-stop for 36 hours. During this time he wouldn't eat, drink water, or use the litter box. At the 36th hour, I decided to pick him up off the air conditioner. He snuggled into my arms and started to purr and decided to make me his new mom. I could pick him up and pet and kiss him, but for about 3-4 weeks afterwards he would sit in the window by the screens and cry for mom and dad for a couple hours starting at dawn. I started to put him in his cat carrier for an hour or so when he started to do this, and this calmed him down. I was able to spend 2-3 hours a day playing with him with a wand toy and other toys to socialize him and work off some of that wild kitten energy. Five weeks after taking him in, I had him neutered. He was completely domesticated and socialized to me and my other cats by that point. He is a very loving and affectionate cat to me, but scared of other people (but so are my domesticated cats). He's very bossy to my other cats and kind of runs the house, lol, but the two geriatric cats are very patient with him. He still has a LOT of energy now, a year later, and runs around the house like crazy several times a day so he has a LOT of toys. I love Harry and wouldn't give him up for anything, but he did/does require a lot of attention and patience on the part of my older cats and lame feral that I also took in last summer. Now, this kitty you mention is only 8 weeks old, not 12, so I imagine the socialization process would be a lot easier, especially since he's already been separated from his mom.

I would question the statistic that 85% of white cats are dead. I had a white siamese cat with blue eyes who had perfect hearing. The shelter staff and veterinarian would know for sure if this cat had deafness. If the shelter staff said this kitty was going to be euthanized if no one adopted him soon, then adopting him is something to definitely consider, but if they say that someone else has expressed interest in adopting the cat, then that gives you more time to consider whether or not you want to take this on. Also, are you ruling out the possibility that Blacky might want to come inside your home (not just your breezeway, but your actual home) some day?

Last edited:

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi MsAimee,

I am not and never will rule out the possibility of Blacky coming in my home.  She is welcome when and if she is every ready.  She is still coming twice a day and hanging out in my yard so she already feels this is her home.  :)

As far as the kitten, when I spent a "little time with him about 15 minutes" he did not hiss or spit or scratch.  He was wiggly to get away but stayed against my chest a little.  He was just caught the night before and very afraid.  I'm surprised he was even that social to me to tell you the truth.  He is at the Animal Rescue League in Boston and to tell you the truth I called them all day yesterday and left  messages but couldn't contact them to tell them I couldn't come today due to work issues.  I will have to see how that plays out.  I think they just want their cats/kittens in and out as soon as possible, which worries me a little.  Other shelters I have contacted want an application, verification of living accommodations, etc.  They didn't ask for anything.  Just asked me if I had other cats.  I'll try to contact them again today. 

But, as far as Blacky goes, I will take care of her forever and if she chooses to ever let me handle her I'll bring her to my vet and take her in.  She is my cat too :)  I used to have 3 cats before and 4 won't make that much of a difference if it turns out that way, hopefully.