NEED OPINIONS - Let Blacky out or Force in house

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First time I have read through this thread.

I have also dealt with many, many ferals, as I have a cat rescue group, and also have done countless tnr. Sometimes while caring for the tnr'd cats (I have a route I go out on regularly to feed, etc.) I will come across an injured/sick, or unhealthy cat and once vetting is completed, can not always return them back out. For instance I have 2 resident ferals in my cat room, one I had to have her teeth all removed due to stomatitis, and the other had her ears amputated due to cancer.

Obviously they can not be returned so they are 'my girls' now and permanently.

So I have def. been through the taming part of a full blown feral, which is what I would consider your cat. Not simply a once owned cat who was abandoned and reverted to it's instinctual survival mode, which means total lack of human contact, so they become what I consider semi-feral.

No, your cat sounds like it has likely seen people nearby, in yards, etc. but has not had any interactions what-so-ever.

4 months is a long time, so what I get from this is, it's basically not going to happen that you will spend enough time out there with her for her to eventually become a bit more comfortable around you.

When you mentioned how you miss being out there with your cats, why not start now?

To keep her away from your cats? Why? If she had some infectious virus you would have already seen this. 

You don't need to be concerned that she might be pos for fiv, she's not going to go biting at anyone, I can basically guarantee you of this.

She will be so incredibly grateful to see some other cats, as she is only feral to humans, cats are cats to all cats. 

The only thing you might not know for sure about is if she were positive for felv, but you should be able to see this anyway pretty much. She was an outdoor feral, they get sick and can't get well, they get very thin if unowned, etc.

I think you oughta just simply go out there, with your cats too. They already know and have for a long time that she is there too. 

As long as she is fixed, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Are your resident cats female or both males? 

Put a tv out there and go about your day just as you normally would.

I wish this would have started about 3 months ago actually, 4 months alone and hiding with no contact with people or cats is pretty sad really.

Her seeing you interact with your cats is a big plus too. Eventually she will start coming out more, then hide, then okay that wasn't bad, he didn't do anything scary, so let me do that again, until pretty soon she will lay on the couch while you are there.

If you are not willing to do this so she can socialize and improve that way, do her a big favor and just let her go back out, allowing access to come in to eat at any time.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a TNR kitty sleeping next to me right now. I released her (with an outside shelter) to my backyard. She stayed out for 1.5 years as I was feeding her. She then came in and out. She now sleeps on my bed or in garage on straw. She is 6 years old now and only goes out 3 hours in morning. I could not keep her in she kept scratching on glass. I have a feral male who was 4 weeks when I got him he has never gone out since. He was wild and had to be declawed. Female does not like male much so he sleeps in back bedroom at night. She goes into garage during day when he has the house. I also have 2 small dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Catwoman707,

I CAN NOT bring my two cats out on the breezeway with me and have her out there too.  If the feral where to have any disease, I would be subjecting my cats to it as well.  Since this afternoon she is still under the couch and it is dark out now.  She must not want to come out for fear of never having that "safe" place again.  I get it.  However I do believe she would have a better life than living outside.  If I do let her back out, she would probably come back to eat. However, I really don't want to take that chance for fear of getting hit by a car or eaten by another animal.  I have a male and a female.  The reason why she has been out there for so long and me not going out there was because it was winter and too cold to stay out there for any period of time.  When she didn't have access to going under the couch, I at least had the chance to sit out there and talk to her while she was visable.  I brought a radio out and put  on soft music.  Hopefully that will sooth her.  She has not come out even to eat but will have to eventually.  I will see if I can block the cough off again and sit out there with my boyfriend to watch TV without my cats and see how that goes if she ever comes out again.  I don't know if she has ever had human contact before so she may have always been feral.  She sometimes stays near me when I bring food out to her as long as I don't look at her and I can get about three feet from her. 

I'll have to see how it goes the next week.  Hopefully she will come out from under the couch and I can block it off again start sitting out there.  I just want to do what is best "for her".  If I do let her out again, she does have an outdoor cat house that I had built for her in the winter she was sometimes using (I put a heated mat in there as well). 

Thanks for everyone's posts.  Keep them coming.  It helps to get other's stories.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a dog person I did not want ferals to multiply so I did tnr with 5 cats. One was old and probably died, one I see every now and then when I give him a hand out. One completely disapeared and 2 live with me now. One in and one in and out. I never planned on keeping any inside, they told me what THEY wanted. I do not live in a highly trafficked area and no coyotes. I feel some have had freedom too long and cannot be contained.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you let her go back outside, there is an excellent chance she will return for meals, and for shelter in your breezeway in the winter. I trapped and took in a  feral tom, Muffin, a few years ago and confined him to a room in my house for several days. I had already been his caregiver for 9 months, so he knew and trusted me, and he figured out to use the litter box and did not hurt me in any way despite his frustration and fear. When I let him out of his room on day 3, he was non-aggressive towards my other 3 cats, who already knew him from watching him on my porch. However, it was painfully obvious that he wanted VERY badly to be let back outside. He was crying, scaling the walls and windows, going crazy trying to get outside. He made prolonged eye contact with me while crying.  I had made the HUGE mistake of not taking him directly to a vet to get neutered while I had him in the trap--I thought I could get him socialized in my house first, then take him to the vet--I knew NOTHING about ferals--and once he was loose in my house, I was unable to get him into the trap again.  While he was inside, I had a mobile vet visit, who climbed up a ladder in the room (Muffin had scaled the walls and got his foot caught in a hanging plant bracket) and gave him a rabies vaccination. That was all I was able to accomplish. Deciding to let Muffin go back outside was one of the toughest decisions I've made about anything because I LOVE this cat and want to protect him. When I opened the door to let him out, he took off and ran wildly into the woods. I thought I'd never see him again and I was heart-broken. However, that evening, he was waiting on my porch for me as usual for his dinner. Over the past 3 years, I've provided him with shelter on my porch in the winter in the form of an insulated cedar pet house, and I feed him daily, and when he is sick or injured, I take care of him by putting prescribed liquid antibiotics in his food and feeding him chicken broth.  Last summer when he brought me his 3 kittens and 2 girlfriends to care for and feed, my neighbor and I trapped, fixed, socialized, and adopted them. All five are very happy indoors with us and have no desire to "escape." Muffin, however, is living the life he wants to live outside, with me as his primary caregiver (with lots of other people occasionally feeding him because now a lot of people on my block and in my neighborhood know Muffin).  He knows that he is welcome inside my house any time. However, every time I've opened my front door during the snow and cold, he's look away. He sees me holding his offspring, Harry, in my arms inside, but this is not the life he wants. Maybe he will decide to come inside some day, on his own terms, when he is old and tired. I am still trying to figure out a way to catch him to have him neutered. If and when I do catch him to neuter him, I will allow him back outside, because I know him and know this is what he wants, even though it causes me more stress and worry than if I had him inside.

Ferals who have been around for a while know how to avoid getting hit by cars, and how to survive in bad weather. They tend to get wounded in fights involving mating, so if a cat is fixed, s/he will not roam and will likely not engage in fights. Some feral cats are meant to be outside and will only have stress when kept inside against their will. Other ferals, after time, patience, and effort on the part of the caregiver, will adjust and live happily inside.

What you have to determine is whether this kitty is a true feral who will only be happy outside, or whether you think you can socialize her and there's a chance she will adjust to life indoors with you and your cats. Perhaps you should take the plunge and allow her inside for a week or two before making a decision. If she has an infectious illness, your cats have likely already been exposed to it through your clothes and handling of her food bowls and then handling them or their food bowls. It's great that after 4 months, all are well, so you are likely out of the woods with that issue. After a few weeks inside, if she's unhappy, then in good conscience you can open your front door and allow her back outside. Do what is in your gut. I know how difficult a decision this is.

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then get her tested for FIV and FELV if that is only thing preventing you from taking your two out-but also get yours checked too.  FIV is hard to spread but your could have picked up FELV from last testing.  Some clinics do testing as does some pet stores that offer shot clinics(Petco and Pet Valu do so)  I REFUSE to have mine treated in the main store and never had issue of the vet or tech drawing blood from a cat ina  office or bathroom to ensure no escapes.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Catwoman707,

I CAN NOT bring my two cats out on the breezeway with me and have her out there too.  If the feral where to have any disease, I would be subjecting my cats to it as well.  Since this afternoon she is still under the couch and it is dark out now.  She must not want to come out for fear of never having that "safe" place again.  I get it.  However I do believe she would have a better life than living outside.  If I do let her back out, she would probably come back to eat. However, I really don't want to take that chance for fear of getting hit by a car or eaten by another animal.  I have a male and a female.  The reason why she has been out there for so long and me not going out there was because it was winter and too cold to stay out there for any period of time.  When she didn't have access to going under the couch, I at least had the chance to sit out there and talk to her while she was visable.  I brought a radio out and put  on soft music.  Hopefully that will sooth her.  She has not come out even to eat but will have to eventually.  I will see if I can block the cough off again and sit out there with my boyfriend to watch TV without my cats and see how that goes if she ever comes out again.  I don't know if she has ever had human contact before so she may have always been feral.  She sometimes stays near me when I bring food out to her as long as I don't look at her and I can get about three feet from her. 

I'll have to see how it goes the next week.  Hopefully she will come out from under the couch and I can block it off again start sitting out there.  I just want to do what is best "for her".  If I do let her out again, she does have an outdoor cat house that I had built for her in the winter she was sometimes using (I put a heated mat in there as well). 

Thanks for everyone's posts.  Keep them coming.  It helps to get other's stories.
Hi, I hear you about wanting to do what's best for her, and truly appreciate people like you who are trying to help a cat live a better life, as well as asking for others experiences and opinions.

I want to ask you to please re-read my post above, over and over, just so it soaks in, and helps give you some confidence in your decision with her.

You must understand, I would never post advice that I wasn't sure about, or if I do, I would say I'm not sure but......so believe me when I say, allowing your cats around her now will only be a good/positive thing, there is no threat of diseases from her.

Ferals don't carry multiple diseases, now that she has been in your care for 4 months, it literally eliminates the chance of your cats catching ANYTHING at all. 

The only unseen would be fiv and/or felv.

If she had either of these, which I HIGHLY doubt, you would see signs. In a well cared for, indoor house cat, an fiv positive cat might not show any signs of it, but trust me, an unowned, homeless, uncared for feral cat WILL most definitely show signs. Skinny/emaciated, almost guaranteed will have a bad cold, as well as overall unhealthy appearance. Rough, scruffy coat, eyes dull with inner lids likely out/exposed. 

This cat is well and healthy. It really is safe for your cats to interact with her. 

If you just can't get through your fears and hear what I am telling you here, then take the step to get her tested.

Take your cat carrier outside, and generously spray it down with a household cleaner like 409 or other. Hose it off well, allow it to dry in the sun. This is to removed the smell of fear and adrenaline left behind by former use.

Then, starting today, put her food in the cat carrier at the back. She won't eat in front of you for sure. It might even take her a couple days to get brave enough to go in to eat.

Do NOT feed her outside of it, or she will hold out and wait for this, rather than going into it.

Put the food in it at night when it's dark, but you want a very small amt of light so you will be able to see when she does go inside from outside of the room. 

You need to attach a strong string to the wired door closest to the latch, but near the bottom area so it will lay on the floor and not be right in front of her, then run the string through the inside of the carrier and out the back hole. If the door latches on the right side of the door, run the string through the right side of the rear of it as well, this gives better leverage.

The string needs to be on there from the beginning, or if you add it later, she will know and get spooked.

So what you will have once set up should be like this-from inside the house, where one end of the string will be for you to pull, it runs along the floor in the breezeway, the carrier's back end will be facing you, positioned so you will also be able to see when she does go inside too. String goes up the back of the carrier and inside, lays on the bottom of carrier with a small handtowel covering it. 

On the open end the string comes out of the carrier and lays on the floor, and is attached to the lower part of the opened door, on the latching side. If the door will stay open in a position that is straight out from the carrier, this is best, rather than swung all the way open. In other words, if you are looking down at the carrier as a clock, the back end is 6:00 and the front is 12:00, it is best to have the opened door at the 11:00 or the 1:00 position, depending on which side the latch is on, rather than a 2:00 or 10:00 position, do you get what I mean?

Once she is eating in the carrier, when it's dark likely, with no movement from inside the house detected, (because she WILL know when you are looming right inside the breezeway door) then you can get her into the carrier this way.

ONLY if her body is all the way inside and she is well into eating, you will pull the string hard and keep it pulled tightly while working your way towards the carrier to latch it. Be sure it is latched completely, the latches at top and bottom go inside the holes all the way.

Cover the carrier with a towel and take her in to the vet in the am.

This is really the only way you will get her to a vet, unless of course you have access to a drop trap. Easier and more foolproof but need to know where you can borrow one, and it takes up space too.

It takes years for a female cat to forget her trapped experience to be careless enough to ever get retrapped in a standard trap.

If you had access to a small cage, you can do the same with the cage as the carrier, although it's riskier of her escaping during times of opening the door.

Have her seen by a vet who handles dealing with ferals, otherwise some want to put the cats under to do any tests, which is very costly.

I wish, rather than doing all this you would trust what I'm saying. After four months, you would know if she had something going on.

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Ms. Aimee/Catwoman707,

I sat on the breezeway today for about an hour with the TV on low . She would not come out from under the couch.  I just checked and she is on the cat tree, thank God, and ate something finally after over 24 hours.  I was afraid of lipidosis if she didn't eat.  I almost blocked off the couch again as it only has one side open now but didn't have the heart to do it yet because I didn't want to stress her out too much again.  When she did come out (after I lifted the leg rests up) she cried and cried.  She looks at me while she is crying and then looks out the door.  I feel really bad because I know she wants to go out.  She has not done this all this time except when the weather got good.  I think it is a good possibility that if I do let her out she will return for meals.  I do live on a main street and fear that she will get hit by a car.  One time before I had her on the porch  I saw her run across the street and was worried sick.  I really love this cat and want what is best for her.  Catwoman707, I cannot in good conscious let my cats out there before my vet does and exam and blood work.  She seems so unhappy while she is crying and that is why I am thinking of letting her out again.  She is very smart and I don't think she will go for the trapping in the carrier thing. 

Here's my plan.  I will block of the couch again when I can so she cannot hide under there anymore and spend time out there as much as I can to see if she warms up to me at all.  Today while I was sitting out there one of my cats was in the kitchen window just looking at me and wanting to go out there too . The other was behind the kitchen door waiting for me.  They are otherwise not bothered by her being on the porch if I am inside with them. 

Has anyone experienced this with a feral; them crying when they see you and cry all the time even when they do not know you are watching them?  I feel really bad for her.  I am hoping she will start to socialize with me after she cannot hid anymore.  If after another two to three weeks she is acting the same way and not warming up, I will make the decision whether to let her out again or not.  Even though that is not what I want to do. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering, did you trap this cat around your house, or was she brought from a different location home to recover then you kept her rather than returning her?

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was feeding her outside for about 6-8 months.  She used to come when I called her name, Blacky almost all of the time.  That snowy night I put the food on the porch and left the door open.  I wait about 20 minutes for her to go to the other side of the porch and went out and closed the door.  Then she went under the couch.  I know she is a TNR because her left ear is clipped.  I was afraid of her peeing outside the box but she never did.  She used the litter box from the start.  It is morning now and she went back under the couch so I will probably have to wait until tonight to see if she comes out to block it off again. 

What do you think of my plan?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have had the experience of a feral inside my house crying all the time and wanting to get out. That's exactly why I let Muffin back outside a few years ago. He's been content outside ever since, and shows up on my porch for meals every day and for shelter in his pet house during the winter. He's at least 4 years old now and sometimes crosses the street and hangs out in our road, which is dead end. He knows how not to get hit by a car. I considered the possibility of him getting hit by a car before letting him back outside. The truth is, you and I can get hit by a car or die in a car accident every day of our lives. Does this mean we shouldn't ever venture out of our houses? We try to live life fully each day, aware of these risks--and so do animals.

Is there a reason you feel Blackie may be sick and infect your other cats? Is she sneezing, wheezing, sounding congested, have discharge from her eyes, frequent diarrhea, weight loss, dull coat, lethargy? If not, why do you fear she may be ill? FelV and Leukemia are relatively rare, even among ferals--I think it's something like one in a hundred cats that carries one of these illnesses. The other preventative measure you can take is to make sure your other cats are up-to-date on their vaccinations--their rabies shot and their core FVRCP vaccination that protects against the Herpves V virus which many cats can be the carrier for.

I think 2-3 weeks is a long time to wait. I think you should take the plunge now--open the door of your breezeway and either allow your other cats to socialize with Blackie, or allow her inside your house. You would know in a short amount of time whether, under what would be "normal" conditions for her if you were to take her inside, she would be happy and adjust or not. If this isn't something you're prepared to do, then I think you should open the breezeway and let her out. Four months is a very long time for a feral to feel stressed and isolated.

I know and understand the conflict you're feeling, but I'm not sure what answer it is that you're hoping to hear from us? You have to go with your gut.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't agree with @MsAimee  's post any more.

Okay, I strongly agree with all of it, except one detail.

If her behavior out in the breezeway is what it is, allowing her inside the house would be too much for her, she would be so overwhelmed, just entirely too much stress on top of the stress she has endured over the past 4 months, on top of the stress she had daily while an outdoor only feral cat.

So, please go with your instincts, personally, if I were in your shoes, I would let her back outside today. Period.

You can't force a cat to live in fear of getting hit, she has street wisdom already, and there are always risks, but you know what? It's what she knows, it is not foreign to her, and she is well acclamated to your home now, and will be coming regularly for food and shelter.

At this point, my opinion is, it's best to let her out.

She won't disappear, she will be a regular feral who comes everyday for food.

If she did someday get hit and killed, at least she has lived her life how she knows, and what is natural for her.

She was fed and cared about, which is so much more than 95% of feral cats.

Her being spayed is a huge help for her future life, she will likely stay nearby your house, out of sight for the most part, but just the same, she is there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could even add a cat door if you wanted to so that if she needed shelter from the rain or shelter in the winter, she could come and go.  I am sure she wouldn't come into the breeze way with you there.  You could keep the cat door closed during the time of the year you use the breeze way and open it for winter time.  You could still keep her heated pad out there for winter time too.  Even if you just continue feeding her, you can still spend time with her and speak with her and let her know you care. 

You have done alot for her.  Go with your gut and know that you did the right thing for her.

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, I have had the experience of a feral inside my house crying all the time and wanting to get out. That's exactly why I let Muffin back outside a few years ago. He's been content outside ever since, and shows up on my porch for meals every day and for shelter in his pet house during the winter. He's at least 4 years old now and sometimes crosses the street and hangs out in our road, which is dead end. He knows how not to get hit by a car. I considered the possibility of him getting hit by a car before letting him back outside. The truth is, you and I can get hit by a car or die in a car accident every day of our lives. Does this mean we shouldn't ever venture out of our houses? We try to live life fully each day, aware of these risks--and so do animals.

Is there a reason you feel Blackie may be sick and infect your other cats? Is she sneezing, wheezing, sounding congested, have discharge from her eyes, frequent diarrhea, weight loss, dull coat, lethargy? If not, why do you fear she may be ill? FelV and Leukemia are relatively rare, even among ferals--I think it's something like one in a hundred cats that carries one of these illnesses. The other preventative measure you can take is to make sure your other cats are up-to-date on their vaccinations--their rabies shot and their core FVRCP vaccination that protects against the Herpves V virus which many cats can be the carrier for.

I think 2-3 weeks is a long time to wait. I think you should take the plunge now--open the door of your breezeway and either allow your other cats to socialize with Blackie, or allow her inside your house. You would know in a short amount of time whether, under what would be "normal" conditions for her if you were to take her inside, she would be happy and adjust or not. If this isn't something you're prepared to do, then I think you should open the breezeway and let her out. Four months is a very long time for a feral to feel stressed and isolated.

I know and understand the conflict you're feeling, but I'm not sure what answer it is that you're hoping to hear from us? You have to go with your gut.

You could even add a cat door if you wanted to so that if she needed shelter from the rain or shelter in the winter, she could come and go.  I am sure she wouldn't come into the breeze way with you there.  You could keep the cat door closed during the time of the year you use the breeze way and open it for winter time.  You could still keep her heated pad out there for winter time too.  Even if you just continue feeding her, you can still spend time with her and speak with her and let her know you care. 

You have done alot for her.  Go with your gut and know that you did the right thing for her.
Thanks Shadow.  To be honest the last posting from Catwoman I was absolutely shocked that she thought letting her out today was the right thing to do.  You agreed with her except for the fact that the house would be too stressful and I agree.  I am not quite ready to give up hope right now.  I need to block off the couch again and plan on sitting out there with her to see if she will warm up to me.  I do not agree that letting my cats out there would be in any of their best interests.  If there were a fight one of them could get really hurt;  probably one of mine since Blacky is a feral and more aggressive. 

She has just in the past week been crying to go out because I had her safe place blocked off and she didn't feel like she had anywhere to go for safety.  When I went out there she wasn't panicing and I could get about 3 feet away from her without her swiping at me to give her treats.  Before I blocked off the couch, I think she was very happy out there.  She has a cat tree she used quite often to look out the window and I often saw her playing with her toys I got her when she didn't know I was watching.  She would also stay out there when I went out to feed her and wiggle her tail, being excited to see me.  I would just put the food down and go back in the house and she would go right over and eat. 

I know in my heart that she is a good soul but just scared to death.  I cannot let her out yet until I give it my all; if she can't go under the couch anymore and doesn't start to socialize after I spend time out there with her, then after 1 or 2 weeks I will let her out again.  My only fear is that I have to work all day and will spend a couple of hours after work with her.  I hope that will be enough.  The weekends I will have more time.  I should have blocked off the couch again when I had the chance last night but will try again tonight when it is dark and she comes out and sit with her until I have to go to sleep.  I don't think that this is a bad plan.  I understand that I can't worry about her getting hit by a car or eaten by another animal but I DO BELIEVE that she will have a better life with me inside if I can ever get to that point.  If not, I will continue to feed and shelter her. 

That is an excellent idea ShaowsRescue, I had thought about the cat door myself . I have one now leading from my kitchen on to the breezeway for my cats but have It blocked off.  If I have to let Blacky out again she will be able to come in for shelter in the winter with her heated mat to get out of the elements.

I don't know what made you two have such a change of heart, but this is what my gut is telling me to do right now. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry! Didn't mean to shock you with my thoughts.

It came from my overall feeling for the cat, as I re-read through this thread.

Obviously indoors is so much better for her, or any cat really, and what's best is usually my choice if given one.

But due to the time factor, she is feeling an awful lot of stress these days, why she is crying lately too.

If you had been working with her since you have had her, by now you would have made marked progress. So, because of the delay, I felt maybe you don't have the time or enough interest in working on it, maybe after work you come home tired and simply don't want to deal with it, believe me, I completely understand all of this, and don't want to give the impression I don't fully recognize your efforts and that your heart is in the right place and you do care.

For instance you mentioned putting a tv out there, it's a great idea and will help, but it would have been even better if you would have done this some time ago, earlier in the beginning.

I think your plan is great, I know you are doing what you feel is best for her, I just wish it were started and worked at a bit sooner, for her sake and stress levels.

Giving it another 2 weeks is fine, but you must stay vigilant at what you are planning, what you intend to achieve with her.  If it's truly what you want, for her to be indoors permanently, then work at it now, put the extra effort and time into it and be with her, talk to her all the time, read out loud, etc.

Lay on the floor, offer treats in your hand, do this every day and eventually, she will figure out you are not the enemy.

The silence is hard for her too. No cats to communicate with, no sounds at all, only to look out a window, day in and day out, sort of feels like isolation to me, and this is not healthy for her mentally, all around really.

Give it another week or two as you said, but please think after this time what is best for her in the end.

Remember she is feral, never been social with humans, so it is very foreign and hard for her to trust and feel safe.

Also, if you block off the couch, make sure she has someplace to feel safe, a box on it's side with the opening mostly turned to the wall, etc. She needs to not feel she is totally vulnerable. The less stress for her, the more she can ease into the transition.

She must have a comfort zone at all times.

Forcing her to be fully exposed is too much for her to overcome in a short time.

Good luck, as I said, it's only the time factor that caused me to believe she should be let out now, 4 months is a long time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I truly believe inside is best, but in some cases it just isn't possible.  If you really want her to be an inside cat, you need to put forth the effort, time, work and patience that will be needed.  In all honesty, I am not sure how much progress you will make in 1-2 weeks.  Certainly it is worth trying, but at 1-2 weeks, the progress may be very minimal.  You will need to be very dedicated and spend alot of time with her.  If your goal is to have your breezeway back for you and your cats, the timeline may not work.  If you are dedicated to her and decide that giving up the breezeway for this summer would be ok then you have a plan to move forward with her and give her the time to be socialized.  When working with ferals, it's often 1 step forward, 2 steps back. 

I used to sit outside on my deck with my young feral and throw cooked plain chicken to him.  I would keep my gaze down and never make eye contact.  Yet, I would talk and talk.  I would throw a piece of chicken, keep talking and allow him to come get it.  With each throw, I would get it just a bit closer to me.  My key phrase for him was "You are safe"  I would say it over and over and over in a very calm soft voice.  I would find the place where he wouldn't come closer.  After 10-15 minutes, I would tell him that I needed to go inside now, but I would come back later.  I told him to not be afraid but I was getting him.  Once again, I kept my gaze low and didn't make eye contact.  I would repeat this sequence for a total of 3-4x each day.  I sometimes used tuna or cheese or a yummy cat treat. 

As Catwoman 777 suggested, when you block off under the couch, do give her a safe place to hide.  A cardboard box or wooden box is perfect. 

Have you tried any Composure treats?  When I brought a feral into the house last spring, he cried at night for about the first 5-7 days.  Once I started the composure treats, he was much better.  I would give him 2-3 each night.  Sometimes, cats don't like the taste of the treats, so there is also Composure liquid that you can put in their wet food. 

I wish the best for you and Blacky. 

Just a thought, do you have a cage or large cat carrier, where you could bring your cats outside onto the breezeway, yet they are still safe?  I used a large dog cage in an introduction phase of my indoor cat and one of the ferals I brought inside.  I also used a large pop up pet tent.  I have this one, but I bet you could find some that are less expensive.

This way you all could be on the breezeway and your cats could safely meet/smell Blacky.