Need input - FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. Risks/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chauncer,
I've been checking the conversations on both sites and the conversations have been the same in regards to transmission.
I hope your fears have been eased some. Remember to just take it slowly.
Enjoy and love your furbabies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am trying a take on the exchange spaces thing.  Today, I put Chaucer in his carrier ,took him outside, left him in his carrier and let him interact with Orville in Orville's territory. The carrier is a handmade one that is half wire and half wood/particle board. It's very sturdy.  I left Chaucer out there for about 10 minutes. He and Orville seemed just fine - they touched noses, Orville walked a little distance away and rolled around on the carport. Chaucer sat in the carrier, then paced around a little. No growling; no hissing; no puffed-up tails or ridged backs for either one. Orville got into a "pounce crouch"  but didn't pounce. It turns out he wanted to play because I brought out his mini-mouse and tossed it. He jumped around playing with it in front of Chaucer, and then I dragged his green ribbon around and he chased it. Chaucer was not all that interested. Orville swatted the carrier but no claws. I would like to try this for a few days before I try the opposite and get Orville inside in his crate. 

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your encouragement. This morning, I took Chaucer out again and neither seemed to care the other one was there. Orville came up to wallow on me as I sat on the steps. Chaucer just sat in his carrier. Henryetta came to the door to watch, but I think she was more concerned that Chaucer had gone outside. She is not especially welcoming to Orville, but I don't expect a fight between them. They are similar in their avoidance of confrontation, but eeing Orville "next to" Chaucer like this, it is clear that Orville is a big cat. He is at least twice the size of Chaucer, if not more. I suppose that is what worries me as well. He could do some damage to my tall, lean Chaucer if he wanted. Chaucer can be a pest so I wouldn't want a fight.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chaucer is more like my 9 month old Benny. Benny wants to play a lot, is annoying at times and doesnt know when to stop. Buut my other cat Nemo whos an ex stray sounds like Orville in that he's really laidback and doesnt like confrontation. Hes also bigger than Benny. In the beginning there were some fights since Benny was such a pest to him but it was never that bad. Now Nemo mostly just tolerates the annoyance or gets playful himself. He has never full on attacked Benny. With neutered cats its all about personality so i dont think you need to worry about Orville beating up Chaucer. He just doesnt sound like that type of cat.

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chaucer is more like my 9 month old Benny. Benny wants to play a lot, is annoying at times and doesnt know when to stop. Buut my other cat Nemo whos an ex stray sounds like Orville in that he's really laidback and doesnt like confrontation. Hes also bigger than Benny. In the beginning there were some fights since Benny was such a pest to him but it was never that bad. Now Nemo mostly just tolerates the annoyance or gets playful himself. He has never full on attacked Benny. With neutered cats its all about personality so i dont think you need to worry about Orville beating up Chaucer. He just doesnt sound like that type of cat.
Chaucer is a 3.5 year-old kitten!  And he doesn't know when to stop so that is my concern. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens the same way. Really doesnt know when to stop. Even when im cooking i have to spray him with a water bottle many times before he finally gives up. But since Orville is so chill i think they will end up fine. My ex stray is also laidback so their relationship is still ok even with my kitten being an annoyance. I think it just takes a lot more than a cat not knowing his boundaries to get to the fightig level of breaking skin.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He'll learn when to stop when he's hissed at and swatted!  I always keep a towel handy and use it to "herd" the offender away from the other cat.  It works great during the introduction phase. 

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

He'll learn when to stop when he's hissed at and swatted!  I always keep a towel handy and use it to "herd" the offender away from the other cat.  It works great during the introduction phase. 
LOL! Chaucer hasn't learned that in the more than a year (September 2014) when Henryetta moved permanently into the house. She hisses, growls and swats at him and he just keeps coming until she runs away. Of course at the moment they are sleeping next to each other on a blanket. I don't know if an experienced fighter like Orville will just run away when Chaucer pesters him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried running a feliway diffuser to help everyone de-stress?  Your Henryetta sounds a lot like my Hannah.  She would prefer to be the only cat and merely tolerates the rest of the kitties.  Feliway helps my more aggressive male cat not be so aggressive and it helps Hannah not be so high strung.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tried putting my two in the crates and in Orville came in right in. I left the door to the outside open so he wouldn't feel trapped. He is now back outside. I don't want to push or rush it.  Henryetta was not thrilled with him, but she did touch noses and then hissed and growled at him. He just turned away and walked over to Chaucer's carrier nearer the door. Chaucer wasn't bothered by him at all. (That's treats in the packet).

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!   At least I know what the problem has been. He likes other cats but at the same time respects their territories. I think I might be able to at least make him an indoor/outdoor cat, provided I keep my two confined but in viewing distance for a while. Unlike Chaucer, Henryetta does not like to be in a carrier/crate. Chaucer likes being in them.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been allowing Chaucer and Orville to interact with Chaucer in his harnass/leash. Neither cat does a thing. Orville sits outside the open door looking at Chaucer and Chaucer wanders around showing no aggression towards Orville who is inches from him. I think they will be okay once I can encourage Orville in the house. Henryetta hisses at Chaucer while he is in the harnass and I know she will hiss and growl at Orville once he is inside, but I don't think either will attack.  I am hopeful they will all three live in indoor piece in a month.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Peace, not piece. Good grief.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really are Orville's angel and a wonderful kind person. Wishing your family  and all 3 of your kitties a safe and happy 2016. I hope you will continue to update us on your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.