Need assistance with newborn kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a kitchen scale to weigh her with? Or could you borrow one? I'm just wondering if she's getting enough formula for her weight.

Try a jar of Gerber turkey baby food to see if she might lick it off your finger. Or like Nicky said, put a little dab on her lips to lick off.

When is the last time she went poo?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Circles I have figured out the reason why she wouldn't eat canned cat food I was mixing it with her milk and she wouldn't even smell of it well I gave her plain canned cat food without mixing it with anything and she eat all that I offer to her and wanted more!!!!! She has done this twice she is not eating from a dish right now she will only eat it from a spoon but hey we are getting there!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is great news!

It's funny how they all express their preferences differently. Most kittens that age like their food mushy, and yet she wants hers straight. Go figure!

But this is terrific progress. So happy to hear she is taking her wet food from a spoon. I knew she would get hungry for more than just milk soon! :)

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how often should she get the wet food?? my other animals basically eat on demand but they are adults and have no problems pooping..... Should I maybe alternate her feedings like one time milk next time wet food then back to milk so on and so on?

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great news! I'm glad she's eating solid food. Soon she'll go for the whole dish full!

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I did was give Khaos a little bit of the canned food, then his normal bottle afree that. I did that until I was sure he was used to it. Then I gradually gave him less bottles. He's down to 1, sometimes 2, bottles a day.

She'll probably poop without an enama in 24 hrs or less with the solid food in her system, too.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd give her as much wet as she'll eat before each bottle, then offer the bottle. Next time she's hungry, offer wet and then bottle. You will eventually see a pattern and her preferences develop.

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so at 5 am I found a good size poop in her bed I was completely excited it's funny how something like that can make a person happy lol she was very happy and had to feel so much better because when I got her out to clean her and her bed she was bouncing all over the place :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! We told you she would get regular with wet food - yay!

Time to show her the litter box now! :)

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! And yes, we did say she'd take a nasty poo after her first few solid meals. It is funny how you get excited for poo. I still get excited when I clean out Khaos' litter box and find poo. It let's me know he's still healthy.

That does mean litter box training time for little miss Circle. :D Even if she still goes in her bed/sleeping place/nest, still place her into the litter box after you see her doing it, or while you see her doing it. I had to pick Khaos up mid-pee a bunch of times when he was 5 weeks to get him to go in his box.

Also, just before and after meals, and when she gets up, put her in the litter box. :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! And you can put her poo in the litter box so she smells it there. It helps to give her the idea that it belongs in the pan.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd use non-clumping litter if I were you, though. You don't know how many times I had to chase Khaos around my room to get litter out of his mouth. I'm glad it wasn't the clumping kind--because that would have been messy.

I use ExquisiCat. It's non-clumping, natural, affordable, and most likely your local pet store carries it. They have various types of litter too. Best thing, when they pee you don't smell it at all. I use the natural pine one. It's $6.00+ for a 14 lbs bag, and $10.00+ for a 20-something lbs bag.

Of course, there are a bunch of others if you don't want that brand.

Last edited:

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has pooped again on her own early this morning I feel so much better because that's twice on her own I was really beinging to worry that something was wrong with her system not I'm not too worried hopefully she will keep this up... Only thing now is I cannot get her to lap water from a dish so I'm still having to give her water from her bottle and she absolutely hates water

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can still give her formula if you want, but she is also getting water from her wet food. If you leave the water down she will eventully experiment with it - probably by making a mess with her paws!

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about the water problem. Khaos is almost 8 weeks and he still can't drink water/doesn't have interest in water. He just stares at his water bowl. I'll be trying a fountain soon.

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Circles is doing great she doesn't want her bottle anymore so I have been slipping milk in her food so that she still gets her milk my pregnant cat gave birth yesterday and now she is trying to steal circles trying to take her to her nest with her babies but circles is way to big for that I hope it doesn't become a problem

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! How many did she have?

I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but I find it cute she thinks Circle is hers. None of your animals have a problem with Circle, right?

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had 5 kittens and everyone likes circles my other cats had started cleaning her now that she is bigger and roams around more I just don't want the mama cat getting stressed of thinking circles is hers because she is to big for the nest and may hurt the smaller babies because she now plays a lot of circles was smaller I would let her take her to the nest

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put mama kitty and babies in a room that Circles has no access to for now.