Need advice on taming a feral cat

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so great, she is evaluating you for sure, I hope she soon finds the truth about monster being no monster at all

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she is just taking more and more steps each day, isn't she!

This is so exciting!

And she is beautiful - I agree, I think she knows it too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna never came out any further last night.
But she definately was thinking about it.

This morning when I came into her room, she greeted me with lots of meows!

Never saw her though.

I have been gone most of the day. When I did get home she let me know all about her day. I still never saw her. I'm usually always home by 1p, so I think she was telling me how much she missed me (Or at least that's what I'm telling myself)

I have just set out her nightly wet food. I'm going to start feeding her a little earlier just so I have more time to stay in the room with her. I'll be in the room for about a hour, so maybe she might try to come out and eat tonight with me still in here. Also she had no trouble with finding her new feeding spot last night. Everything was gone!

She has become very vocal the past few days. It's the most I've ever heard her talk. No hisses either so that's good I think.

Hope everyone is well!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HI
. Vocal is a REAL good sign!! She is a siamese
and they love to talk!!! Luna sure loves
you lots. And she is such a pretty girl.
Your doing a great job with Luna and love to hear the progress

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She really is a pretty girl. Great that she is talking to you! You are her world right now, and i bet she really looks forward to your presence even tho she is wary. Do you talk back to her when she talks? In her language & yours? My siamese loved it when I sang to him in "mow" language. "Somewhere my love seemed to be his favorite." lol.
Really, her greeting & welcoming you with talking i think is a great sign.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mostly I talk to her in kind of a baby talk. Sometimes in meow talk. The more I talk to her the more she responds back.
Kind of like we are really talking to each other. Lasts about 1 minute or two.

Today I played with her and her favorite gray mouse. I tied a string to its tail and tossed it back and forth and made it move all across the floor. She just watched the whole time, looked a little amused but never pawed it. She did seem to like it more than the feather wand. I think the feather wand might scare her a little.

Also last night she never did come out to eat. I left the room for just a sec to get a drink. Didn't even close the door all the way just in case she might come out, I didn't want to scare her off. Sure enough, she had just come out--looked at me for a sec and decided it wasn't the time to come out to eat.

Its so funny how she knows when I leave and guesses how long I will be gone. She can see me leaving through the crack. But at night time I enter off and on more frequently anyway. She should be used to all the pop ins by now. Maybe she is just testing to see what happens when I re-enter?? Just going to see if I'm going to try to eat her or her food??

Who knows?? Hope everyone is having a nice day!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure she is testing, she has so good hearing that she should hear you from really far away. I don't know if I remember right, but I think it was from 10 meters they could locate mouse's sound within 0.3 meters (about 1 foot) accuracy, so there is no way her not to hear you.

When my mother cat was still free, she did that everytime I was out, she 'accident' got near me and oh the theatre and drama of her 'getting caught off guard', her whole body did tried to look surprised to last hair of her fur and there is just no way of her getting surprised when walking on snow as snow makes lot of crunching sounds and I was once even shovelling that snow and she thought her act would go from real

They are masters in that, if they want to they can be perfectly hidden and still see all, I'm sure they will show up to us only by their will, well if there just is any decent hideouts, which can include, but are not limited to insides of beds or shoe boxes with 2cm space at top of them (that kitten had to know how to move the box or shelf above the box), don't know how, but they are incredible in hiding.

That makes them also so interesting.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have just been to grocery and got Luna a jar of chicken baby food.

She greeted me with a couple of nice hisses!!
First time I've heard those in a day or two.

I'm sitting with her now and will be for a little longer, but I don't think she is going to come out while I am in here.

Oh well!!

It's best if I just take it one day at time. She will come out when she is ready and on her own terms. I shouldn't rush her.

I just love her soooo much!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so difficult to not try to pet them when they start exploring near you, these mine can eat from spoon and it is so tempting to pet them when they are so near, but doing so would cause a set back so have to restrain myself, it is very easy to rush things even without realizing it at the moment, especially when they can be almost like tame cats when playing, but reach towards cat and day is spoiled, probably next few days too.

I have decided not to even try to touch for months, seem to help when I make schedule of when I'm allowed to do something, really slow and long schedule

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe soon she will want to take some food from your hand, like the chicken baby food
. It does take a ton of patience and is hard not to want to pet her. The feral's I have socialized were always in a very large cat playpen cage until I was able to pet them. Then I moved them into the spare room/safe room and then I was still able to pet them when they were hiding in their tents. It just takes a long time and the touching/petting is very scary to them until they know how good it feels. Luna is making great progress and in time will know how wonderful a pet will be
. If you can try to get her to eat from your hand, this will be a step in the right direction for her to not be so frightened of your hand. She will do this in her own time and I know it's hard not to want to rush things. Luna is already showing signs of her trust in you and you are well on your way to a wonderful relationship!!!!!!!

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Lucky didn't care much about the chicken baby food, in fact I gave the second jar away. He liked canned chicken cat food or tuna better. But he really, really adores fresh catnip leaves. I keep a small pot in the garage, putting it on the patio on nicer days. Will sink it in the ground soon, pot & all. I could get him to do so many things with the fresh 'nip. Some cats are more sensitive to it than others, I know. But it sure worked with him. Might be worth a try. He doesn't care nearly as much for dried commercial catnip.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have several pots of catnip growing already and more planted.

I have always read about catnip and cats, so last year I thought that in the event I might get a cat, it would be nice to have catnip growing inside the house.

Turns out that year the catnip was the only thing I planted that grew!!
I don't have much of a green thumb and so usually anything I plant dies.

What I had been doing was rubbing everything down with the catnip. Toys, feather wand, cat tree, etc.

It hasn't really had an effect on Luna, though. Or not at least when I'm in the room, because the plant I have in Luna's room has been rubbed, picked at, and looks pitiful!! It was just a small one, but it is now almost dead. Not sure from what though; me picking off leaves or Luna eating and rubbing on it or from the lack of sun as room is mostly dark.

I have read about the effects of catnip on cats, but Luna I think is just still unsure of everything.

She is showing some signs of trust, but doesn't yet fully believe that I'm not going to harm her. She loves to play at night, and is becoming more active.

I think maybe it might of helped having her in a large crate of some sort first. But that day she came home I wasn't exactly sure of what to do.

I don't think there is anything I can do to make her come out of hiding while I am still in the room. I think when she is ready she will come out.

I don't want to do to much. From her hiding spot she only has 1 way out and that is the entrance in which I sit at (not real close, but I am still at her only esape out). I don't want her to feel like I'm cornering her.

When I play with her I re-rub wand or toy down with catnip. She pays most attention to toy and not me, but still looks unsure of what is going on.

She did eat the chicken baby food last night, but only after I left. She really really likes tuna. Her next favs would be fish, salmon, chicken with tuna. She really does not like beef, not a fan of turkey or anything mixed.

Its funny how that now she is inside and has a regular supply of food, she is starting to turn her nose up to certain things.
I think she is starting to see how much she is loved and that it's probably not going to be so bad being a house kitty!

She is beginning to trust me just a little. More every day.

Who knows?

I'm just going to give her time and lots and lots of love!!!!!

When she is ready she will come say hi!!!!

Hope everyone has a lovely evening!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, she doesn't like having her room changed, but IF you wanted to risk it... you could consider taking her mirror out, and putting up a small table - like a bedside table, or an end table, or even a card table (with the folding legs), and drape a cloth that doesn't quite go down to the floor over it. Then her hiding place makes her feel safe, but it's easy to watch you while in it.
Just a thought.

And re: the catnip. It's weird, because neither Billy nor Chumley react to it. Some cats just don't.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have thought about moving the mirror, but then decided against it. I have only seen Luna away from that spot maybe 2-3 times.

Once, over the first few days she was here with us, she hide behind the big fish tank. She then decided it was safest behind the mirror. One time right after that, she was found on top of fish tank!!

That day I thought was great because she was out and did not run from us immediately. Unfortunately, that was the only time I saw her on top of fish tank, and I think hubby and I scared her.

My husband has also scared her to death by peering over her, leaning the mirror off of her, etc. He doesn't listen sometimes and can make me really mad!!!
He is getting better, but maybe that has set her back some.

Hubby is just now (I hope!!) getting the feral/semi-feral cat thing.

The other time she was away from mirror was when one morning I caught her in litter box. Then, I was able to sweep excess litter and also put blanket behind mirror.

Other than that, she finds safety behind mirror.

I was thinking if I just gave it another month or so, maybe she will start to come out more.

I just don't want to scare her and I'm afraid if I move her mirror while she is behind it, it could break what trust that we have accomplished so far.

Tonight, I've just given Luna her wet food. She has been very talkative tonight, so we will see if she comes out.

I also bought her some new mice today. Last night she and Jazz (the dog) had quite some time playing with the mice.

As you all know she keeps knocking them outside of door. Well, this morning Jazz decides to really start playing.

A few nights ago Jazz started bringing the mice that Luna had knocked under her door into the living room.

I thought that Luna may not play with them anymore, as there was now Jazz slober all over them.

Guess she doesn't mind, as every time I put mice into room they still are knocked right back out!!

Last night, for the second night in a row, Luna knocks mice into hallway, Jazz plays with them getting them all nice and slobered on, then me taking them back into Luna's room.

Jazz has ripped off an ear. And poor little gray mouse's tail is almost off.

Luna is still playing with them all the same.

Needless to say, I bought more at store today (just in case one doesn't make it through the night!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that was just too funny reading about Jazz playing with Luna's mice!
I have a feeling introducing them is not going to be a problem.

Her "mirror tent" obviously is just fine. Most importantly, you have SUCH a wonderful, patient attitude, and that's all it takes! She's already come so far, and one of these days that "my new meowmy's not a scary monster" switch will switch!

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!

I went outside of Luna's room for about 30 minutes.

When I came back she had ate all of her wet food!!! (Turkey as it turns out to be, as that was all I had left (not one of her favorites) :lol3

Anyway, she ate it all!!

As soon as I opened the door she was meowing.

I sat down, started talking to her and she eased out from behind mirror!! I even saw her paws, legs, head all coming out straight and held up right, a little unsure of herself, but sill she was giving me a "Look at me!!!" look!!

I stuck my hand out for her to sniff... She wanted so badly to come out.. She retreated a couple of times.. Sticking her head out looking at me meowing and then back behind mirror.

I sat quiet but was still talking to her and then finally I just went on to my desk..

She watched me at entrance for about 30 seconds and now has gone back behind mirror into hiding.

I think within the next few weeks she will come on out and sit with me while I'm in room.

I don't want to get my hopes up, though.

Thanks to all and I hope everyone has a nice evening!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HOW FUNNY about the cat and dog mouse relays
. I really think Jazz and Luna will someday be fast friends!! Do invest in more of those little grey mouses

And go ahead and get your hopes up!! You deserve too because Luna IS making progress. It seems to me that you have the patience and willingness to wait it out and allow Luna, well, to just be Luna
. I have to laugh about the DH comments. I had to train mine too and went through a lot of
.... although never in front of the cats

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is sooooo funny about the hubby thing Feralvr !!!!

I'm hoping that hubby is beginning to catch on, but as he does not have much experience with cats (feral vs regular house kitty), I expect he may slip up again, but at least maybe he is learning.

All of this is kind of just happening and it is soooo amazing!!
Hubby is learning, I am learning, my little girl is learning, Luna is learning, Jazz is learning!!!

As far as the mice go, I bought a pack that had 5 in it. So tonight I have placed them all around Luna's room, along with some treats!!!

I have to watch Jazz with the mice because he can destroy a mouse in minutes!!

I think that Luna and Jazz are probably going to be okay with each other once they get over the whole cat/dog face thing!!!

Hopefully they will be able to tell who is who by scent. Hopefully that will be enough, but still that is a long way a way!!!

Jazz is kind of a big dog and all.

Thank you all again for the encouraging posts!!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read your entire thread today and it made me smile. What a gorgeous, gorgeous kitty and how far she has come. I know how rewarding this process is and how deep the bond that develops is. She is a very lucky kitty and pretty soon you will be able to touch her, just make sure you don't faint when that happens
. I almost did when Sweet Pea rubbed his body againts my legs for the first time.

Your deep love and dedication are so obvious. Enjoy the process of seeing her overcome her fear, it is a huge accomplishment.