Need advice on taming a feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you JTbo

Luna rarely ever comes out of her safe spot when I am in room with her. I have seen her out for just brief moments only. Not even enough time to try to play. She has a very good hiding spot, which causes some trouble with play and interaction.

The mirror she is hiding behind is about 2 feet in length and 3-4 feet in height. It is a mirror that is supposed to be attached to a dresser. It is against the wall and slid into corner, not catty-cornered though, so there is a wall behind her to. Only a few inches separate the back wall so she cannot escape out the back end. There is only enough space that she can see who comes in and out of door to room. A big fish tank is on the wall between door and mirror. When she first came inside she hid behind fish tank, but I guess she didn't like that because she was too easily seen.

So I don't want her to feel cornered, which she could easily feel because of only the one escape. When I sit on floor where the enterance of her safe spot is, I am a good 5 feet from her. She stays in the back corner.

Its only been 1 month so I shouldn't expect too much. These things take time.
This is a total change of world for her. I should probably back off a little and give her time. She has had a rough past day or too. Furniture moving, dog, husband etc.

Back to the playing this afternoon (sorry rambling), once I started moving wand she sat up (she is soooo pretty), she started first just moving her paws a little and then all the sudden attack! Her tail wasn't moving, no hissing or growling either, only the sound of claws on wood flooring! If the feathers had been a real live mouse, she would have definately got it!

She obviously loves to play when I'm not around, so maybe she may come around. I don't think I'm going leave light on all day either. Maybe that might make her more comfortable. I'll try it out and see what happens.

Thanks

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure she was playing, it takes few times until they really grasp concept of playing, but I really think you should do same thing tomorrow too, so that she learns.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh YAY she attacked the wand toy!

You SO have not let her down! She's obviously having fun - you can hear her.
None of us is perfect, and not everything goes perfectly smoothly.
You've got the most important thing going for you - YOU.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by alexandrajames

One more question, I leave a lamp on in Luna's room during the day because it is not so bright in there, is it better for the room to be darker when I'm not in there? I turn it off at night at leave a little nightlight on.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Feeling sad

Between husband and Jazz I feel like I've let Luna down.
Oh don't feel sad!!! Your Luna is beautiful inside and out and so are you for doing what you are doing for her. Just knowing how much you care for Luna is so heartwarming. And Luna knows, believe me, how much you love
her. Really, she does. This takes a very very long time, and some cats are quicker to socialize than others. Just put away the clock (as LDG always says
) and I agree with this as well. Just enjoy this process and keep your eye on that light at the end of the tunnel, you will reach it soon
. Speaking of lights, I would leave a light on during the day and night light at night. You are doing just great

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much.
Leaving Luna to be, eat, and play for the night.

Ya'll are so great!!!

Hope everyone has a beautiful night

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna had another night of playing and jumping around her room last night

She still hasn't explored her new shelf that she now has to climb on.

One of the toy mice was outside her door again, gray mouse is MIA. I think maybe she has it behind mirror with her, but not sure
Her other catnip ball is back there with her. Not going to stick my hand back there though.

I think this afternoon I may try to play with her with the feather wand.

I ended up having to block the entrace to the hallway that leads to the bedrooms. Jazz couldn't get relaxed at all. Luna jumping and playing around made him crazy. I don't know how this is going to work out the two of them, but I'm not going to worry about it for now. Luna won't be coming out anytime soon and Jazz won't be going in

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have had a good afternoon with Luna.

We did play a little with the feather wand. Gray mouse was behind mirror, and I was able to get him out and relocated it to a new spot.

But the main thing is that while I was sitting beside Luna's mirror on the floor reading, she sat up and started grooming herself. I bought some new treats at the store today, and she likes them much better.
I thought she was going to come on out and eat them, as I had set them out at the entrance nearer to me. She wanted to, but then decided to just turn around and rest.

I was so happy!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grooming, eating and playing in your presence are all signs of her trusting. It is happening, her starting to trust

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great

I find it funny when they start grooming, then all of sudden stop, completely freezing at middle of lick and sometimes they just stay there for 10 seconds or even more, ears turning and eyes moving, but rest of cat is like a statue, then continue like nothing had happened

If cat turns her back to you, then I think it is also sign of trust, but maybe also tells something else too?

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning when I went into Luna's room to tend to litter box and such, she greeted me with lots of meows. I could only hear her. I guess she was telling me all about her night.

Hubby said she was making lots of noises last night. No telling what was going on. I know when I go into her room in the morning its not all a mess. Only Luna's toys are moved all around. So she must really be having fun playing with them. Sometimes papers on my desk are found on the floor, but that's usually it. Room isn't exactly cat proof as it is my office. There are lots of things she could knock around.

I am a very hard sleeper, so I never hear a thing.
Hubby complains too much, but I think its funny

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWW that is a riot. Luna is REALLY starting to be more comfortable, and that is a great sign, all of the playing she is doing
. Now Magilla has the run of the house, but when she was in her room still at night, it would be trashed in the morning too. Toys everywhere, even the track ball toys would be tossed around.
Playing is a real good sign.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luna is so funny!

7p is her usual time for wet food. Tonight its tuna, just a special treat as she is becoming a little more picky about which wet food she is going to eat. She seems to have decided not to eat beef!

Anyway, tonight instead of just leaving the room (usually hubby home, but isn't tonight) I decide I'll just sit in room a little longer. I'm sitting at my desk and I look down and there she is at the entrance of her hiding spot just looking at me. Of course when I look down she backs up a little, still just looking at me. She stayed only a moment.

Unfortantly, she decided not to come out and eat. I'm still in here and will be for a little longer. Maybe she will be brave enough to come on out and eat. I know she can smell the tuna and wants to come and eat, so we will see!

Hope everyone has a great night!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sweet
She was studying you and actually loving you
. Magilla used to do that and she was very, very shy if I looked at her. Now she gets in my face and loves it when I look into her eyes. You will get there too with Luna!!!

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night before I went to bed I had to take one last peek into Luna's room.

I couldn't remember if I moved her water dish and dry food bowls back away from where I put out her wet food, as she loves to cover the wet food plate with whatever she can find and I didn't want her to cover water bowl. She has done that once and it made a big mess--(dry food was all soggy where my shirt had been soaked with water).

When I opeded the door there she was under my desk meowing and walking around. I immediately sat down and started talking to her. She continued for a bit. I thought she was going to come sniff me, but then decided she wasn't so brave and went back behind the mirror.

I almost think when she was under my desk she was rubbing herself up against the legs, but maybe not, it was dark in the room, only a night light on so I couldn't see all that well.

She continued talking as I changed her litter box.

This morning mice were in the hallway.

I have a question too. Her food and water bowls sit at the entrance of her safe soft. Over the past few days I have been moving them farther away, still in front, but not as close. They are kind of in the way there and I want to move them to the other side of room where her cat tree is. Should I do this, or will she think I have taken away her food as she won't be able to see it from her hiding spot anymore?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of that meowing she does for you, is an excellent sign
. And if she is rubbing on things when you come in too, that is another excellent sign.
She is getting braver about her situation now and is starting to realize how much you mean to her and she looks forward to your visits. I am happy for you and Luna
. Certainly, you can move those dishes! Just move them.... She will find them quickly as soon as you leave. Don't worry about that. Just put them where you want to keep them. Luna is comfortable enough in her room you could put the bowls anywhere you like.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just relocated the dry food bowl and water bowls to other side of room where Luna's cat tree is.
She does visit this site at night and during day when I'm not around, as treats are gone and toys left out have been played with.

She hissed at me as I was picking both bowls up so hopefully she will still eat.
I left treats out at entrance of her hiding spot and also have her toys and more treats at new feeding site.

I'm not completely sure that she was rubbing herself up against the legs of my desk last night. It was dark. She was walking back and forth though and then finally to her safe spot, meowing the whole time.

I hope she doesn't freak about the moving of food bowls and think I've now stolen her food

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's don't like from change I have been told, but I'm pretty sure you can't hide food from a cat, they are good at finding it

I don't know if it causes her to feel more insecure at new spot, that might be something to be careful about? I have feeling that she will tell you if new spot is bad, so probably there is not much of risk, but that can be wrong thinking too as sometimes I find that cat thinks differently than what I except.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had planned to still feed in normal spot with wet food only. Only the water and dry food bowls have been moved to opposite side of room.

I think it will be ok, as she does move around room a lot when there is no human around. The cat tree (which at the bottom is where new feeding site is) is familiar to her. All treats from here have been eaten. It is where she also can access her new shelf, and she also plays with toys from this spot, which I just noticed that she has been on top shelf as toy at end has been moved.

If tonight no food has been eaten, I will put both bowls back in original spot.

In order to access my desk you have to step over food bowls, it will be great if she will eat at new feeding site.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided that I would feed Luna a little early today.

I brought in her wet food then left for just a sec. When I re-entered room I saw her head sticking out from behind mirror.

So I sat down in the corner about 4 feet away from her food and entrance of her hiding spot and started talking to her. She sat up so straight and tall.
I think she knows what a pretty sight she is.
Absolutely beautiful!!!!

I couldn't help it, I had to snap some photos.

Attachment 15302

Attachment 15303

Attachment 15304

Attachment 15305

She wants to come out soooo bad I think, but still isn't sure. You know the whole human going to eat me thing!!

I'm still in here so again maybe she will venture on out!!

Oh my!!! Just looked down and she is at entrance of hiding spot lying down looking at me. This is the closest she has come out while I've still been in room. I don't think she is going to come out anymore, but she is lying down watching me right now. I'm just going to ignore her.
If I can!!!!