Need advice - feral mom and kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your little guys are beyond cute, Helene. Just adorable!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am melting from your boys cuteness Helene.
They are adorable.
Cute, cute cute....
Awww.....did I say cute?

Melt....

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to take anything away from Douglas and Deacon's extreme cuteness, but wanted to update everybody on TNR at the site where they came from.

I saw their mother, Little Ma, this weekend and she's looking great. The family who cares for her said she's sticking closer to home and seems happy. Yesterday I was able to trap the only remaining unspayed female (that we know of) at the site, a tuxedo who's Little Ma's daughter from a few litters back who's had at least one litter of her own. I also trapped a feral male. Both were fixed today.

That's it for now. Once I release these two, there are still a couple of feral males that need to be fixed and I'll get to those as soon as I can. There's also a tame, orange male that showed up a couple of weeks ago that needs to be fixed. We're trying to find out if he belongs to anyone. I'll get him neutered, regardless, and will most likely try finding him a home if no one claims him. He's a sweetie!

Thanks for the vibes and support!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Not to take anything away from Douglas and Deacon's extreme cuteness, but wanted to update everybody on TNR at the site where they came from.

I saw their mother, Little Ma, this weekend and she's looking great. The family who cares for her said she's sticking closer to home and seems happy. Yesterday I was able to trap the only remaining unspayed female (that we know of) at the site, a tuxedo who's Little Ma's daughter from a few litters back who's had at least one litter of her own. I also trapped a feral male. Both were fixed today.

That's it for now. Once I release these two, there are still a couple of feral males that need to be fixed and I'll get to those as soon as I can. There's also a tame, orange male that showed up a couple of weeks ago that needs to be fixed. We're trying to find out if he belongs to anyone. I'll get him neutered, regardless, and will most likely try finding him a home if no one claims him. He's a sweetie!

Elicon...that is a great update!!! Just be aware...once the "ferals are welcome and fixed here" sign goes up...it tends to attract other unfixed cats who are looking for a good neuter/spay.

Katie

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Great job, Eileen! I am glad to hear Douglas and Deacon's mother is happier and staying closer to her the lady who feeds her.

Just a quick update on the boys, they keep bringing gifts to Lady to try to get her to play with them, she is doing great, is tolerating them, not going after them, but still curious and following them around some.

I am so happy it is working out so well!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lady20

Great job, Eileen! I am glad to hear Douglas and Deacon's mother is happier and staying closer to her the lady who feeds her.

Just a quick update on the boys, they keep bringing gifts to Lady to try to get her to play with them, she is doing great, is tolerating them, not going after them, but still curious and following them around some.

I am so happy it is working out so well!
That's good news!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, Helene. I'm glad everything is working out so well.

It's so sweet that the boys are bringing their big sister presents!
Sounds like they're winning her over.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Helene, Douglas, Deacon & Lady....a loving family.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eileen - a great job, as usual!
...and... you've obviously made your decision about orange boy. Sweet, handsome, "so adoptable." Sounds like someone's going to be fostering until a home is found!

And Helene - what GORGEOUS pics! They are just tooooo cute. I'm so happy Deacon's purr motor is going despite not wanting to be picked up. One of our rescues, Flowerbelle, pretty much purred just from being rescued. She purred while playing, she purred while eating - she purred being fed a "treat" of water in a bottle cap, lol! Three years later - she loves being picked up. She's not exactly a parrot on the shoulder, but being allowed to peer into cabinets and up on bookshelves she normally can't see or reach.... makes her purr, lol!

And it's so wonderful to hear that Lady is curious. It's far superior to angry!

Laurie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Eileen - a great job, as usual!
...and... you've obviously made your decision about orange boy. Sweet, handsome, "so adoptable." Sounds like someone's going to be fostering until a home is found!
Thanks, Laurie! Yes, I've pretty much made the decision to foster and find him a home. A lot of this depends on his personality once I get him here. If he's as sweet as he is at the site and seems happy inside, then there's no really no question. I'm torn though, because the folks at the site would actually be happy to have him back and continue feeding him.

This guy really brings homes the reality of the situation for me. As Katie (TNR1) pointed out, this site is likely to continue to attact other cats. The reality is I don't have the resources to continue to do TNR or rescue on my own.
The neighborhood folks don't either. Heidi (Valanhb)had a great idea, which I'm going to mention to the feeders this weekend, about setting up a fund among themselves to pay for other cats that show up to be fixed.

Since I can't count on the TNR group I was involved with to help here, I'm also going to start looking around to see if there are other groups that can assist. We have several great rescues/shelters in the area, but none that
are actively doing TNR.

So, even though I feel like we've accomplished a lot at the site, there's still some work to be done. Please keep the vibes coming that I can find some additional help for the neighborhood folks and make the best decision for the sweet, orange boy.

Thanks!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful pics!!
Eileen I am so glad that things are going well, and you can find a solution to keeping this group healthy and fine.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The neighborhood folks don't either. Heidi (Valanhb)had a great idea, which I'm going to mention to the feeders this weekend, about setting up a fund among themselves to pay for other cats that show up to be fixed.

Since I can't count on the TNR group I was involved with to help here, I'm also going to start looking around to see if there are other groups that can assist. We have several great rescues/shelters in the area, but none that
are actively doing TNR.
Hey Elicon....another thing you can do is contact your local vets and see if they are aware of anyone else who is conducting TNR as individuals...there is something to be said about working on a project with a larger group.

Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Hey Elicon....another thing you can do is contact your local vets and see if they are aware of anyone else who is conducting TNR as individuals...there is something to be said about working on a project with a larger group.

Katie
Thanks, Katie!
I found a local rescue group on the internet yesterday that lists this neighborhood as a place where they've done TNR, so sent an email explaining the situation and asked if they'd be able to help. Please keep your fingers crossed, everybody!

Meanwhile, I released the feral male a couple of days ago. He was very glad to be home. I'll release the female this afternoon and hopefully becoming home with the friendly orange guy. So far, no one's responded to the flyers or
"lost" ad in the newspaper.
So, I have an appointment for orange guy to be fixed next week then will decide what do with him. Hopefully, he's as adoptable as the neighbors think he is.

Will post an update later. Wish me luck with the orange guy. I'm thinking about naming him Elliot. Thanks!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks, Katie!
I found a local rescue group on the internet yesterday that lists this neighborhood as a place where they've done TNR, so sent an email explaining the situation and asked if they'd be able to help. Please keep your fingers crossed, everybody!

Meanwhile, I released the feral male a couple of days ago. He was very glad to be home. I'll release the female this afternoon and hopefully becoming home with the friendly orange guy. So far, no one's responded to the flyers or
"lost" ad in the newspaper.
So, I have an appointment for orange guy to be fixed next week then will decide what do with him. Hopefully, he's as adoptable as the neighbors think he is.

Will post an update later. Wish me luck with the orange guy. I'm thinking about naming him Elliot. Thanks!
Elicon...I hope you realize that you are these cats angel....and even thought they can't repay you...their lives have been changed for the better because of you.

Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well guys, looks like I have a new foster kitty - a big, handsome, orange boy who's currently in the closet of my spare bedroom, a little scared, but very sweet!
He's young, I'm guessing no more than a year or so. He went right into the cat carrier (with the help of a few bites of turkey!)

He definitely looks like an Elliot to me! Pics coming soon.

Also, the feral tuxedo was happy to get home. It's been another good cat day!

Thanks for the vibes!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am seriously annoyed with Elliot this morning!
You see, I was hoping maybe he would have litter box issues, be aggressive or something that would make it hard to find him a home. That way, I could just get him fixed and return him to the site.

But no, he has to be sweet, friendly and adorable (uses the box without a problem too).
He purrs just about non-stop, loves to sit on my on lap and snuggles close and puts his head on my shoulder when I pick him up. So, obviously, I have no choice but to find this lover boy a home.

Please start sending vibes/prayers that someone opens their heart and home to Elliot. I'll start advertising after he's fixed, etc...this week.

Here's a couple of pics, if you're interested:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...67#post1457367

Thanks, guys!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eilcon....good luck finding him a home. The good thing is that kitten season has slowed tremendously so it should help. Ask your local vet offices if you can show him in their waiting area.

Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would you guys believe I already have a lead on a home for Elliot?

Remember the couple that was originally interested in the kittens, but then found out their female cat had kidney issues? Well, she's stable for now and they might be interested in Elliot!
They feel bringing a young adult cat into the house would be less stressful than a couple of crazy kittens.

Guess my big concern, other than being sure Elliot's healthy, of course, is whether or not I've given it enough time to find his owner if, in fact, he was lost. Honestly, the fact that he hasn't been neutered makes me question whether it was a responsible home anyway. I don't mean to be judgemental, but to me it's irresponsible not to have a cat his age already fixed!

Any thoughts? Thanks!