Naughty Nala!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in shock too. It happened so fast! She's a quick little kitten. They're keeping her overnight for observation. She's still sedated. Wow. I'm all excited planning on getting a sibling playmate for her and she gets injured. I'm a hysterical wreck, they asked me to go home and "chill" and call them to check on her at 2:30 PM. Guess I was upsetting other patients. Well, my baby is hurt, of course I'm going to be crying. I'm in my car too shaken up yet to drive, I was speeding and ran a red light to get her there. She went to lick her paws and just yelped/meowed I put a cool washcloth on them. The vet said that was good to do that. She's probably going to get blisters. She said the tissue damage looks like 2nd degree burns. I don't want to leave her because this is gonna traumatize her even more, being away from me. She's been with me every single day for 13 weeks!
Take a breath and please calm down I understand what you are going through right now, it's not good for your health either. Accidents happens and sometimes we can't do anything about it, all we can do now is to be more extra careful. And maybe take your time, don't drive now, you are so upset!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still in parking lot. Ugh, she's sleeping but I still feel like I should be there when she wakes up. The vet tech said on Thanksgiving they had a cat come in that had walked across a flat ceramic hot stovetop witheven worse burns and that cat is OK now.....
Go to a restaurant and relax a little, don't drive yet please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How can they keep her overnight? Won't she be by herself? I know they have emergency 24 hour number but I didn't think they had 24 hour staff? I think she should be in her own bed to feel better? I didn't even ask before I walked out bc I think I used all their Kleenex, crying, snotty nose. Wow, I probably look such a mess.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess the vets know better than I do, obviously and if someone is there to be w her she's getting good care. I'm gonna call in an hour to see how she's doing. I'm probably going to call them every hour. Deep breaths. just took this pic yesterday, she looks so happy.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How can they keep her overnight? Won't she be by herself? I know they have emergency 24 hour number but I didn't think they had 24 hour staff? I think she should be in her own bed to feel better? I didn't even ask before I walked out bc I think I used all their Kleenex, crying, snotty nose. Wow, I probably look such a mess.​

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I just read this thread and wanted to say how sorry I am that you and Nala are going through such a hard time. You are a devoted cat mom so of course you feel terrible but this is an accident that could happen to anyone and you are really not to blame. By telling us about it you actually may have spared another Kitty the same injury - I know I'll be more careful as a result.

Your little girl will be okay with the TLC I know you will give her. And the vet will give her pain medicine which will help as she recovers. Try to be gentle with yourself right now[emoji]128149[/emoji]

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Margd, she needs us right now, I hope she is not driving, she's not replying.

Nala Ava Marie will be okay, they will take good care of her.

I hope Adoringangel is okay too, she's so upset and crying a lot.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Margd, she needs us right now, I hope she is not driving, she's not replying.

Nala Ava Marie will be okay, they will take good care of her.

I hope Adoringangel is okay too, she's so upset and crying a lot.
Well, I'm here to reassure as much as possible. As far as Nala Ava Marie needing her own bed or anything tonight, she will probably be sedated and sleep the night away without even knowing. And she really will be ok - there was a cat who was burned in the wildfires in the Western U.S. this summer who was rescued by the firemen and became an Internet star. Her pads were burned as well and she's fine now.

I agree best not to drive while so upset. I do hope Adoringangel feels better soon. Her baby will be fine.

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! [emoji]128151[/emoji] I sat in the vet's parking lot taking deep breaths between crying spells for I don't even know how long. I pulled myself together enough to get home. I called at 2:30 pm to check on her. She was waking up a little so they gave her some pain medication. The tissue damage on her right paw is a little worse than her left front paw, they don't have any gauze or bandages on her paws yet bc they're letting air get to them but they said I can call tomorrow about noon to find out when I can pick her up and they'll probably wrap up her paws tomorrow before they let her come home. Should I get newspapers for her litter boxes? They said her little paws will be sensitive for awhile. The person I spoke to said there are other cats there so she won't be alone. She's not used to other animals or other people. I just don't want her to be scarred for life, not just physically but emotionally. What if she associates this pain with me and hates me after this wretched experience? She trusted me and I let her down. Oh I'm going to be hyper vigilant with her in the kitchen now. I miss her so much. I swear I hear her little tinker bell sometimes. I want to call every hour but I know I'll make a pest of myself. Lol.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you are safe and sound! She will be okay there for a night and at least they can supervise her and would take care of her.

For the main  time try to  relax and sleep good tonight, you will see her tomorrow and she would be very happy to see you : -)

Mia did that too while I was baking chicken, I was panicking when I saw her climbing and her paws close to the oven.  So I am so extra careful.

Ps. I am having pc problem again, it took me long time to post this..sigh

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she's fine. Probably sleeping right now. I'm sorry this happened. When I started reading what happened to her, I was so afraid it would be something really bad, like a pot of boiling water spilled on her. Burned paw pads aren't fun, but I'm glad it's not anything worse. Believe it or not this is not as uncommon as you'd think. Now get some rest; Nala is ok.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Missing my kitten. I hope she's not having as hard of a time being away from me as I am being away from her.
What a sweet photo. Little Nala looks so content. She's coming home tomorrow, isn't she? I bet you're counting the hours! Hopefully she will sleep most of the time but I'm sure she will be thrilled to see you! [emoji]128008[/emoji]

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope she can come home tomorrow. I think they said that wanted to keep her overnight for observation although they don't have 24 hour staff, I'm hoping someone comes in to check on them. There are other cats there. She's never been around another cat yet. I do hope she's just sleeping and not crying & meowing for me. [emoji]128575[/emoji] I'm calling as soon as they open in the morning.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nala is likely getting better rest there than you'd think.  Accidents happen; so be gentle with yourself and try to get some rest so you can be ready to care for her tomorrow. She will pick up on your emotions; but cats dont hold grudges.  She's young; she'll put this behind her before you know it. 

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my Nala Ava Marie. Just called vet, I knew I couldn't wait until afternoon like they recommended I do. Lol. She was very upset about the bandages, they gave her more pain meds. Her right paw, the one that has the worst burns, might have damage all the way to her claws! They're going to access it further later, they said she might have to be declawed![emoji]128575[/emoji] She said she would suggest both right and left even though her left paw only sustained superficial burns and has minimal blistering, her right paw is not as good. And they'd want her to be "even". She's suffered enough. She's already in pain. The burns on the right side did damage to the quick? She cannot even stand up yet! [emoji]128549[/emoji] I do not want to have my baby mutilated. I don't know what to do. I want what is best for her. I'd not even think of being cruel and putting her through that. She doesn't scratch up furniture, she doesn't scratch people (she is a beautiful little biter though.) The vet tech said they will only perform declaw if it's necessary and they'll let me know this afternoon. They use the laser method. She'd for sure be in for another night then. Please don't hate me everyone if that's what has to be to make my baby heal properly. I never anticipated anything like this. I hope this ordeal does prompt others to really watch their fur babies in the kitchen. Like I said yesterday, she kind of seemed interested in the oven maybe once before but never got too too close. She was playing with her toy right behind me, she pounced up so quickly.
I'm going to call to check on her again this afternoon. I miss her so much. They put her stuffed animal in with her. [emoji]128522[/emoji] Oh, another thing worth noting! I was concerned about her being there with no human since it's not staffed 24/7, they do have surveillance security cameras aimed at every single adorable cat patient that they monitor and if they see a problem or potential problem they can go help the animals right away. As far as my worries about her being hurt by other cats, they each are in their own recovery cage and the cages are heated and they have warm towels for them also. As soon as I find out more I will post. Thank you for all the support. As soon as I see my precious little girl I am going to be taking pics like the crazy cat lady I have become! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry little Nala might need to be declawed. I'm anti-declawing but if it's necessary for her to heal properly, then that's different. Fingers crossed this won't be necessary, poor baby.

Hang in there! And keep us updated![emoji]128149[/emoji]

adoringangel72

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Bad news! Nala Ava Marie is going to lose her front claws. There's a high chance of infection with that right paw and for the sake of "balance" they're going to declaw the left side too. I'm so panicky and nervous. They're keeping her until Saturday morning and that's if all goes well. They're prepping her for surgery right now! [emoji]128549[/emoji] This is devastating. Thank you for continuing to pray for my precious newborn. She's so young to endure so much pain. If I could just take all this pain away from her I would.