Name Three things - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Today:
did not sleep good AGAIN, last night.. Two nights in a row.. I cannot keep doing this. The night before, I went to bed at 10pm, eyes open an hour later. Got up to watch a Hallmark movie until 1:15AM.. up at 6am
Last night was similar.. except up until 2AM.. and up at 7 am..

fed, medicated G.. He refused breakfast.
did some vacuuming.
Out to Boston
Grocery store for just a few items
home with a cup of coffee
Geoffrey peed, pooped, ate, and upchucked while I was gone. It is a chemo day, but I am skipping it today. He will get it tomorrow.
So tired..
There is a "Holiday" party tonight. At this point, I do not feel like attending it.. but, I told my friends I would be there..

Hopefully, I sleep tonight. I need to be up and out very early tomorrow, so I can hit the bakery and the Italian pasta shop for stuff.
Not sleeping is horrible. Do you take a magnesium supplement? I found that really does help me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday, I managed to do peanut brittle. In the microwave, it took maybe 10 minutes. No thermometer. Easy. I also got our pickled red beet eggs done for Christmas dinner; that took a little longer. I should have gotten them done sooner, but they'll be fine for Sunday.
  • Breakfast for the girls, no dishwasher to empty, and I'm back here with my coffee.
  • Rick will vacuum for me and I'll do a quick swiffer about the kitchen and living room. Wipe down the bathroom.
  • I must put some audiobooks on Rick's mom's Kindle. (I think I mentioned that I figured out a way to do it without actually accessing her Kindle, which is nice for me. I use Rick's library card and put the books on my iPad. And poof! they show up on her Kindle.) There's a lot of stuff going on at the nursing home for the holidays, so she asked for only 2 or 3 books. Rick will visit at some point today. We have some cookies and candy for her. She'd like some ring baloney and some of our baby Swiss cheese. She would also like sticky buns, but I'm making them on Sunday afternoon and doubt Rick will make a special trip up to her.
  • I'm going to try to hit the Shed to watch Reacher this afternoon.
ETA: So, last night, I went to bed around 9:00 and watched America's Test Kitchen's holiday cooking show on CREATE. Turned the TV off and said, "Self, go to sleep!" And I did! Slept through the night. But then Tabby decided to poop in the BoodaDome in the bedroom and she digs to China. At 5:30 in the morning. Then she came to bed and purred and purred, sitting next to me, while I decided to do just do the right thing and get up. I did make them wait until 6:30 for their breakfast. They're all fed and Muffin is on the back of the living room chair, Tabs is in the cat tree and Molli has been playing "In and out of the bedroom!" now for about 15 minutes! I have the bedroom door shut for Rick to sleep, but Molli wants in, then she wants out. And so on.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I managed to do peanut brittle. In the microwave, it took maybe 10 minutes. No thermometer. Easy. I also got our pickled red beet eggs done for Christmas dinner; that took a little longer. I should have gotten them done sooner, but they'll be fine for Sunday.
  • Breakfast for the girls, no dishwasher to empty, and I'm back here with my coffee.
  • Rick will vacuum for me and I'll do a quick swiffer about the kitchen and living room. Wipe down the bathroom.
  • I must put some audiobooks on Rick's mom's Kindle. (I think I mentioned that I figured out a way to do it without actually accessing her Kindle, which is nice for me. I use Rick's library card and put the books on my iPad. And poof! they show up on her Kindle.) There's a lot of stuff going on at the nursing home for the holidays, so she asked for only 2 or 3 books. Rick will visit at some point today. We have some cookies and candy for her. She'd like some ring baloney and some of our baby Swiss cheese. She would also like sticky buns, but I'm making them on Sunday afternoon and doubt Rick will make a special trip up to her.
  • I'm going to try to hit the Shed to watch Reacher this afternoon.
I haven't had peanut brittle in ages- I liked it alot, is it easy (10 minutes) even for me ,the non baker?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yes, Kwik Kwik .

MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE
1 cup sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
1-1/2 cup salted peanuts (chopped or not, up to you)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Get all your ingredients together on the counter because time is of the essence. I put everything on the counter to get ready.

Spray a cookie sheet (or grease it with butter, but it takes longer to grease than spray).

Put sugar and corn syrup in a microwavable bowl. Microwave on High 5 minutes. (I have a wonderful glass Pyrex 10-cup measuring bowl that I use.)

Add peanuts and butter. Stir well to combine. Speed is key! The cooler the mixture becomes, the harder it will be to stir.

Replace bowl in microwave and cook on High 3-4 minutes, depending on wattage of your microwave. Higher wattages will cook quicker. My microwave cooked the mixture for 3 minutes, which was enough. Watch carefully; you'll see it start to change to the caramel color.

Add baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will bubble furiously; it's supposed to do that. Stir and stir.

Pour onto your greased cookie sheet and spread as evenly as you can. (I can never do this; it's always starts to harden on me. I don't worry about it. I get it as thin as I can, say, "Yep! Looks good!" and move on. It will set up fast! I also like to sprinkle the brittle with a bit of sea salt for a bit of sweet and salty. Let it cool and set, about 30 minutes, break it up and store.) And honestly? Ten minutes of prep work and cooking....TOPS!

Note: I also do almond brittle the same way. Just sub the almonds for the peanuts. You'll have to chop the almonds.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, Kwik Kwik .

MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE
1 cup sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
1-1/2 cup salted peanuts
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
Then what?lol.... I have everything except light corn syrup.....what does it go in or on?Smash the peanuts a little or no?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Don't smash the peanuts. You'll need the light corn syrup. Just spread it out onto the greased sheet, let it cool, and then break into pieces. Store in a tight container. And munch!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up early this morning, and quietly crept into the kitchen without turning on lights. I was able to drink almost a full cup of coffee before Lola woke up and demanded freedom, a good start to the day. I mostly have cleaning to do this morning, then visiting the aunt to drop off her gift early afternoon. When I get back I will get a batch of marinara going for tomorrow night’s dinner.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Up and out early, as soon as I had breakfast, coffee and gave G his meds..
wash dishes.
Out to bakery and Pasta shop
Starbucks for my Peppermint Mocha Latte
home, sipping on it-- listening to instrumental Christmas music on Alexa
Need to vacuum
Get some laundry ready to wash.. Do not know which day it will be..
Go to a meeting at 1pm...
nothing else..

Grabbed a stuffed baked past dish for supper, while I was at the pasta shop.. It is an Italian Christmas.. might as well start early..
Still very tired, but today is a pretty easy day..
Tomorrow, cleaner is coming in.. so afternoon will be quiet.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice to see you posting, I don’t think I have seen a post for a while and just thinking about you and your basement project. Is it all done or are you still having to work on it?
Thanks for thinking of me :hugs:
It's as done as it will get for now. With getting all the fall stuff, Holiday stuff, a few emergencies and overall life stuff that was put on the backburner done, I'm going to do the rest later. The living space of the basement is almost complete...it's just the storage side (crawl space) that is still a bit in shambles. The only thing on the living side that needs to be done is to put floors in...but we need to save up for that, so I have a few area rugs down to make it comfy. I also want to wait till the spring to finish the floors to see if the flooding was indeed a one off due to extremely high water tables and several days of heavy rain before the ground was completely thawed (our neighborhood has NEVER flooded before) or if this will happen again from all the development going on in surrounding neighborhoods with the city creating water diversion projects to accommodate. It will require a pretty hefty price tag to get a sump system installed if this is our new normal.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Maybe we should start an Insomniacs Club. After falling asleep while the evening news was on at 6:00, I got a second wind, talked to lizzie lizzie for awhile, and watched reruns of The Dead Files til around 10 or so. Turned the tv off and dropped right off. Only to awaken around 4:30. And there I was, wide awake. Of course, I moved and the girls noticed. I managed to stay in bed til 6, but got up and took care of them. Rick said, "It's too early and I'm not getting up!" "Did I say anything? No! Go back to sleep!"
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • Two loads of laundry. Not much in the way of housework as I vacuumed and swiffered yesterday while Rick was with his mom. I do want to clean the fridge.
  • Get my bread ready to turn into Amish potato filling tomorrow, make iced tea, chop onions, etc. for tomorrow. Rick has decided that he wants another cheesecake for his dessert, so he's making it today; it's one of those easy recipes. So, I've decided that I can live without pumpkin pie and am not making one just for me. Scratch the pumpkin pie from our menu for tomorrow.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Maybe we should start an Insomniacs Club. After falling asleep while the evening news was on at 6:00, I got a second wind, talked to lizzie lizzie for awhile, and watched reruns of The Dead Files til around 10 or so. Turned the tv off and dropped right off. Only to awaken around 4:30. And there I was, wide awake. Of course, I moved and the girls noticed. I managed to stay in bed til 6, but got up and took care of them. Rick said, "It's too early and I'm not getting up!" "Did I say anything? No! Go back to sleep!"
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • Two loads of laundry. Not much in the way of housework as I vacuumed and swiffered yesterday while Rick was with his mom. I do want to clean the fridge.
  • Get my bread ready to turn into Amish potato filling tomorrow, make iced tea, chop onions, etc. for tomorrow. Rick has decided that he wants another cheesecake for his dessert, so he's making it today; it's one of those easy recipes. So, I've decided that I can live without pumpkin pie and am not making one just for me. Scratch the pumpkin pie from our menu for tomorrow.
I'll sign up for the Insomniac Club!lol

Your 10 minute Peanut Brittle Recipe was a success!So tastey- my neighbor said its the best she's had since she was a child...... if I could do it anyone can,thanks to you and your great instruction 🤗

Thank you so much❤

I'm finished with reg chores and now I'm gonna start shopping for my stuffed mushrooms and stuffed artichokes

Get those together and oven ready and cook my ham today

Clean some fish for tomorrow,calamari,shrimp and scungilli need thorough cleaning.....

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I am so happy that you got the brittle to work out. It's so easy and it really does take less than 10 minutes. Excellent job! :hugs: :hugs:
Ooooh, stuffed mushrooms. Be still, my heart. I love those things.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My brother and SIL visited with us yesterday afternoon. We had such a good time and they stayed for quite a while. I needed to have a good laugh and he always provides me with laughter. I really needed to see him.
After we had our pizza, I crashed hard last night around 6 and slept like a log until around 8 or so. Got a second wind, got up and got the bread ready for the potato filling today and even made the gravy. My sister called, frantically looking for cranberries; she had been to Giant, Weis, and even Walmart and no cranberries to be had. "Pam, do you have cranberries?" "Sure, how much do you need?" And she took a 3-pound bag that I had gotten from Sam's earlier this season and tossed in the freezer in a freezer bag. I swear the next time I see cranberries in the store (won't be til next year now), I'm going to buy every bag they have! I'm down to two-12 oz bags now. I use cranberries often, even during the summer. My sister's DIL's mom is making something with cranberries and everybody in southern PA spent the day looking for cranberries. :lol:
Anyway, went back to bed around 11, and that was it until about 6:45 this morning when Tabby came back to bed. "Hey, uh, Mom, it's almost 7:00. That really means breakfast is late! Get up!" Rick got up with the girls, but I was done sleeping, so got up, too. He made my coffee first, so I have sustenance before I start my cooking today.
  • After preparing our Christmas dinner, just general clean-up and straightening up in the kitchen. Run the dishwasher and, while that's doing it's thing...
  • I'm going out to the Shed this afternoon to watch Reacher. I swear today is the day. Now there are four episodes for me to watch, which is a mini-marathon. I am making time to do it and I swear that I am not going to fall asleep. Rick saw the fourth ep last night and he said I'm really going to enjoy this season. But I either haven't had time or I fall asleep.
  • I do need to wrap Rick's things for tomorrow. I've been meaning to get them done, but just haven't gotten around to it. One of the things I ordered for his stocking will come after Christmas, but he'll like it then, too.
At some point, we really do need to buy wrapping paper. Since we no longer buy actual gifts for the Grands (they only want money), it's cut way back on our paper needs. We basically only have wrapped presents for each other now. We usually give my sister and BIL a gift card to a favorite restaurant; this year it's Bonefish Grill. They love the place and so do we. We always give food and chocolates to Rick's mom. We give our mail lady a $20 card to Dunkin; she's a sweetheart and she loves Dunkin's coffee. And that's pretty much the extent of our gifting these days.

ETA: So late yesterday afternoon, Rick's mom called. I kept saying, "Hello? Hello? Evelyn?" And she yelled, "WHO AM I TALKING TO?" "Evelyn, it's Pam! What's wrong?" Well, somebody did something to her Kindle and it's all messed up. And she was downright angry. She didn't know what happened, but it's to the point where she can't do anything with it and neither can anybody else. I tried to understand exactly what happened, but all she kept saying was she couldn't use it. That's the angriest I've heard her in quite a while. I got her calmed down, told her to ask her aide to take it to the front desk and Rick would pick it up. I'll see what I can do with it. I have no idea what the heck is going on. She wanted Rick to take it last night, but he was watching football. I hope he goes up today because that woman was downright peeved last night!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
* Up early for Mass
* medicated Geoffrey
* went to pick up script; however, the pharmacy part of Rite Aid, decided, on it's own, to open at 10 am!! I was furious! The store hours for this weekend said 9am!!
* went to a different bakery for a couple of rolls and a blueberry pie
* home, on line..
* Plans on changing sheets, washing down Litter Genie, nap--- another cup of coffee for the caffeine
* shower
* Go to Cousins for Christmas Eve

🇨🇽🇨🇽🇨🇽🇨🇽🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄 MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.