Name three things - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rick left around 2:00 or so this morning and my day has been messed up ever since. Right after he left, I couldn't fall back asleep, so I stayed up until around 8:00 or so this morning, then crashed. Awakened around 10:30 or so and did a few things around the house. Crashed again and never awakened until after 2:00 this afternoon! So now I'm full of pep and energy and am doing some general straightening-up around the house. Tomorrow will be my house-cleaning day.

• Installed Outlook 2013 on my computer this morning. It downloaded and installed very well with no issues at all. (I had been using Windows Live Mail, which had turned into a total pain to use. Every time I tried to use it, I'd get an error notice because some header didn't download all the way. It was dropping emails right and left....I got tired of dealing with it.) I'm already using Office 2013, so I figured I might as well use Outlook, too, and get it over with.
  • Downloaded the paperwork to get another copy of my birth certificate for my passport. The prothonotary's office won't take my birth certificate because it's not a proper certificate as it came from the marine base, something like that. Well, that certificate is 60 years old, for crying out loud and it says right on it that it's legal for obtaining a passport. They won't take Rick's birth certificate either because the seal isn't raised. Rick can go to our local representative's office and have him take care of his for us, but I have to go through North Carolina for mine. What a hassle. And I'm going to have to pay for "expedited processing and expedited shipping" which is an extra fee. 
  • Just doing some straightening-up, looking through my desk, shredding papers, doing some organizing, all that good stuff
Are you planning a trip?
I had to renew both my passports. My British and Israel. These had to be sent to England and I'd heard horror stories of not receiving them back for six months or so. I was lucky. They were back and hand delivered within a month. Then I had to renew my Israeli passport which is done on the spot. My pictures are atrocious.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One pound equals 453.6 grams. A pound of butter is usually sold in a small box containing 4 individually wrapped sticks. Each stick equals 8 Tablespoons. One stick weighs 113.4 grams.

Got it?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Are you planning a trip?
I had to renew both my passports. My British and Israel. These had to be sent to England and I'd heard horror stories of not receiving them back for six months or so. I was lucky. They were back and hand delivered within a month. Then I had to renew my Israeli passport which is done on the spot. My pictures are atrocious.
Judy, we are going to Ottawa in September. We don't need the passports to get into Canada, but we do need them to get back into the States. We have to do the pictures, too. If our local AAA can't do them, then our County Sheriff's office will take our pictures. 

Actually for Canada, a passcard will do as well as a passport and it's cheaper. However, I think I mentioned before that Rick still has not given up hope of getting me to Ireland, so passports will be necessary for that. That's why we went with passports instead of just the cards. I'm paying the extra fees to North Carolina for quicker service and hopefully, it means what it says. Otherwise, we could be waiting for weeks just for the certificate from NC.

So today.....
  • Clean, clean, clean. I'm ripping through the house. Vacuuming, dusting, washing floors, cleaning the bathroom, cleaning out the kitchen, changing the bed linens, all that good stuff. Removing kitty schnuffle from the windows. (An old GF is coming for dinner on Monday night and I'd like the house to look respectable. She won't care; she's not like that at all, but I do.)
  • I'm on my second load of laundry
  • I really ripped through my desk yesterday. Got rid of a bunch of old CDs for the older computers. All my XP OS disks and service packs, stuff from way back in the early 2000s that I'm not using. It doesn't make sense to keep this stuff any longer. So today, I'm ripping through the bathroom closet....I do that from time to time.....and get rid of items we're not using any longer. I also want to go through some kitchen cabinets.
  • And maybe tonight, while I'm watching The X Files, I'll go through some bureau drawers, putting away winter stuff and getting out some things for warmer weather. I'm keeping one pair of winter gloves out for walking at lunch, but am going to put the rest of my stuff away today. And I'm putting our spring flag outside, too. Maybe I am rushing a bit, but spring starts this coming Friday, I think. And I'm ready!
My big spring cleaning won't be done until May this year, when Rick goes back out to Portland. I can't take a lot of vacation days from work this week because I have other stuff going on. If I can hold onto those vac days til May, I should be in better shape work-wise and can take some time off. Rick does not do spring cleaning; he hates the sheer thought of it. While I'm not into house-cleaning either, once I start, I'm fine and then I can rip through it fairly quickly. So once the weather gets warmer and I can open windows, I'd like to get the drapes down and into the cleaners for cleaning. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Pam. I'm with Rick where spring cleaning is concerned. It's the custom here to do it before the Passover which is in April.
Why do you need a passport to get back into America?
Injope to go to England at end of the year. First to Birmingham for the Supreme Cat Show and then to Scotland. I've never been to Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One pound equals 453.6 grams. A pound of butter is usually sold in a small box containing 4 individually wrapped sticks. Each stick equals 8 Tablespoons. One stick weighs 113.4 grams.

Got it?
Yes. Thank you very much.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Ever since 9/11 the government has gotten stricter. I'm not sure what year they started with the passports. The last time we were in Canada, we were up at Niagara-on-the-Lake. We came across and they stopped us. The guy asked us where we were born. Rick said PA. I said North Carolina. He asked me where in North Carolina and I replied that I was born on the Camp LeJeune Marine Base. We showed our drivers licenses and that was it. It's not that easy anymore.

Other than to Canada, I've never been outside the U.S. It's that flying thing that I don't do.
  • I did a good job cleaning and scooping cat boxes this morning because I knew I wouldn't get it down again tonight until after my GF goes home after dinner.
And that's pretty much all I plan on doing tonight. A relaxing evening, I hope. Rick said he'd call me later on and we'll be able to chat for a while.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Eye doctor right after work to see if they can repair my glasses. I don't know that they can be repaired, but it's worth a shot.
  • Must buy paper towels. I was down to my last roll and thought I could get through the week without buying any. Then Mollipop brought her dinner back up last night. She was sitting on the top level of the cat tree and it hit every level on the cat tree, hit the green pillow on the floor next to the cat tree, and then hit the carpet. I don't know how they manage to make the biggest mess possible. They must eyeball it first...."Well, if I puke this way, the puke will hit that spot, drip off here, and hit that spot, then go here.....yeah that works!"
    That was the end of that roll. And then she had the audacity to sit there and watch me clean it all. I told her she was lucky she's so cute. 
And that's pretty much it. I'd like to try for an early night tonight. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • gave snick her sub-q's, then gave both snick and jasper their breakfast
  • moved more firewood to the living room log rack
  • quick vacuum up of the wood debris generated from moving the firewood, and around the first floor of the house
  • dumped the wood stove ash pan, then added more wood to the stove
  • made my breakfast
  • washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, took out the trash, and brought in the newspaper
  • sliced the loaf of bread machine bread i made yesterday
  • did a little work on upcoming months budgets and planning
will have a nice quiet rest of the day here -- enjoy reading and posting here on TCS, watch some tv, read a little, relax, and early to bed.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spent afternoon in emergency room, having slipped while coming out of the forest garden along the little creek.

Broke my right wrist and fractured right cheekbone.

Wrist in soft cast. Will see orthopedist tomorrow morning and find out if it will be a closed reduction or surgery.

Then need to make an appointment with a different doctor to learn what happens with my face. Probably just leave it to heal on its own.

So upset - here we are at the beginning of the gardening season. And, to frost the cake - Domino has started attacking Mr. Poe again

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh heavens, Catapault, I am so sorry about your fall. I hope everything will heal properly and that you're not in too much pain.  

My glasses cannot be repaired. Darn it. That means I have to buy new glasses. I was hoping these could be fixed and then I could just order new prescription sunglasses. I wear my sunglasses all the time; the only time I wear regular glasses is when I'm driving night. That's it. Even on really cloudy days, I wear my sunglasses. And I always wear my sunglasses to walk and to mow the yard. I'll wait until Rick comes home, then make our appts for eye exams. And get a pair of regular glasses (which I don't wear).
  • Trash night, so must clean out all the litter boxes
  • I have two loads of laundry to do, although I should probably just wait and add it to Rick's dirty laundry when he gets home.
  • I'm supposed to be on vacation on Thursday and Friday, but well, I can't see the need for tomorrow. Rick is coming home tomorrow night and the house is clean. Everything is fine. It's too cold to work outside. If I do come into work on Thursday, I may make a crumb cake tonight and take it into work. I'm hungry for a good crumb cake (and I have buttermilk that needs to be used), but can't make the whole thing for myself.

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Spent afternoon in emergency room, having slipped while coming out of the forest garden along the little creek.

Broke my right wrist and fractured right cheekbone.

Wrist in soft cast. Will see orthopedist tomorrow morning and find out if it will be a closed reduction or surgery.

Then need to make an appointment with a different doctor to learn what happens with my face. Probably just leave it to heal on its own.

So upset - here we are at the beginning of the gardening season. And, to frost the cake - Domino has started attacking Mr. Poe again
oh, no! and...ouch! 

i think i understand your disappointment at not being able to enjoy gardening this year. how about, as a way to be involved in gardening this year, you work on planning and supervising work in your gardens. i mean, either adding some new flowers/plants into existing beds, or planning and starting a new garden bed? is there anything you've been wanting to or been thinking about adding/changing? you'd have someone else do the parts like digging and planting that you're not able to do this year. that person doing the parts you're not able to will be able to learn so much from helping you, because you know so much about gardening.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor did a closed reduction - numb my wrist. Nurse leans all her weight on my upper arm which is on the examining table. Forearm up at 90 degrees. Then, my husband said (my eyes were shut) the doctor grabs my hand and pulled up really hard with all his strength.

I now have a nice, not plaster cast. More like two thick bands above and below my forearm that harden and become rigid as they dry. All wrapped up in Ace bandage kind of stuff. There are some bone chips.  And my am may well be a little shorter. But with physical therapy I should regain full range of motion.

Slept for beer than 4 hours with Mr Poe assisting m with healing purrs. He ad Domino are still being kept separated, will continue Mr Poe on it, and start Domino on diazapam this evening.

Tomorrow morning is the other doctor for my fractured cheek bone.

You know that Zen koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"  What is the sound of one hand gardening ? Cursing!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check to see if Asha's pooped...nope

Check to see if Asha's pooped...still nope

Check to see if Asha's pooped...nope..come on already, I need the stool sample :sigh:

Monotonous day ;) :lol:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got up really really early. I want to sleep at 2.30am. Was up by 5.30am. I was supposed to get up at 11.15am.
My sister and idiot BiL are in Israel. I went out for lunch with my sister. I had for lunch chopped liver.jollybnucr

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then a delicious steak with mashed potatoes with a lovely sauce for the sauce that went over the steak and mashed potatoes.
We had a nice time.
Then we walked to vote, and that wasvf

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Voting was yesterday and a waste of time that was. Rr
My sister and i had a nice time.
We had a long walk then went back for strawberries and cream and then I called a taxi and home I went.
I'm in bed now absolutely shattered.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

You know that Zen koan, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"  What is the sound of one hand gardening ? Cursing!
Been there. Last summer, in fact, only with me it was my foot. It's hard to do much of anything with a flipping boot on. I hear your pain. Curse away! 
  • I was going to take vacation today and tomorrow, but decided to come into work today. I'll work until noon then go home and start in making dinner (Rick's coming home late afternoon). You know, the first couple days he's gone, it's almost like I breathe a sigh of "Thank god, I have some time to myself!" But then, by the third day or so, I'm thinking, "OK, dear, time for you to come home now!" I guess that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But I'll be glad to see him today. And I know the cats have really missed him, too; Amber actually came up on the couch last night and flopped in my lap....and she NEVER does that! She's a real Daddy's Girl.
  • I may do up his laundry tonight. We'll see how things go. He said that if he gets home in time, he'd like to bowl, if he can; their team has been short-handed the past month or so and he doesn't want to stick them worse than they already are. If he bowls (they're bowling early) I'll do his laundry while he's gone and get it out of the way.
And that's pretty much it. The house is cleaned, boxes are scooped and things look good.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i've already made a good start on getting things done for today, and am sitting down here at the computer for a bit before making my (late) breakfast and finishing up the last to do today.
  • gave snick her sub-q's
  • moved more firewood to the living room log rack, then vacuumed the first floor (it's just easier to vacuum up the wood debris from moving the firewood, and since i already have the vacuum out i might just as well vacuum the rest of the first floor)
  • dumped the wood stove ash pan, added more wood to the stove, then tidied the hearth pad
  • brought the newspaper in
  • started to count up exactly how many cans of cat food my two eat per week, keeping track of that on paper. i have firewood deliveries as well as new lawn tractor (with snow blower attachment) payments to make in may, june, july, and august so i'm planning on stocking up on canned cat food in april in order to not need to buy it during those months that money will be a bit "tight". by counting how many cans of cat food we go through this week, i'll then be able to get a general idea of how much canned cat food i'll need to buy to get me stocked up and last through august.
  • called my mom for our weekly chat
  • will make my breakfast shortly
  • wash the dishes, scoop litter boxes, and take the trash out
the rest of the day should be relatively quiet. maybe read, watch some tv, work on april's shopping list. oh, and i'm sure i'll be in bed by 8:30 or 9 pm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.