Nala and her kittens

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they sound like fine fat babies! Mama's doing great. You shouldn't need to supplement them unless something bad happens. You can use the KMR to mix with some canned food when they start to eat solids.

If the mama cat likes the KMR, you can give her a bit, but it's not necessary if she's healthy and well-fed. It does provide extra calories and nutrients so if she starts to look a little peaked, you can add it to her food. The biggest stress on the mama is when the kittens are about 3-4 weeks old---they need to eat so much, and most aren't on solids yet, so it gets to be a major strain on poor Mama! So it's always an option if she needs some more calories.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the bedding is dirty, change it.  do you have extra cloths to put in the nest.  Something soft like old t-shirts, fleece or blankets.  Don't use towels, the kittens can't retract their claws yet and they can get stuck in the loops.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I always recommend a dish of KMR a day for lactating moms as they need the extra calcium. Why wait until she is low on reserves? Like a pregnant and lactating human mom needs extra calcium and vitamins.

You'll want to change the bedding every 2-3 days. Mom cleans the kittens but it still gets soiled. It's normal for mom to spot for a few days after having kittens while she's healing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights today the one that was 6.0 oz is 6.6, 5.1 is 5.6, 5.6 is 6.3, 5.7 is 6.6, 5.5 is 6.1. So gaining .5 to .9 a day

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So far so good! Having the scale and knowing their weights is letting us know that they are getting enough from mom right now. Keep weighing each day though. The gains need to continue! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks u! 2 of them are identical so it's hard to tell which is which but the weights help to tell the difference!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weights today. They have gained from .4 oz to .7 oz.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good! Sounds like they are doing well. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very relieved to know they are well! My kids have been able to hold them too and mom doesn't mind. If I lay with her she will kneed my arm...she's my baby and I make sure she knows that every day!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When should all the umbilical cords be off? Only 2 have fallen off and the other 3 still have theres.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cords will usually fall off within 10 days. They will dry up and fall off on their own though, so don't worry! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok[emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gains today we're .5 to .7 oz. They whine a lot more now. But no crying so I guess it's just an I'm not getting what I want or I'm being bothered type of whine or whimmper. Also as far as the KMR goes I have been giving her a teaspoon and she only takes 2 or 3 licks and doesn't want it. It was kind of a waste of money[emoji]128533[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's not a waste. The kittens will drink it when weaning, and you'll use it to mix with wet food to make mush for them to learn to eat when they are ready. You'll use it. Keep it refrigerated in the meantime. Weights are good. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok good! I was afraid I bought something for something. Good to hear there weights are good too!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*Supposed to say something for nothing

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that one little one is only gaining .4 a day. While the others are gaining from .5 to .7. Is that ok?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. The ideal weight gain is one-half ounce per day. It's close! If you get worried you can supplement. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. I'm worried about doing the supplement feeding cause I don't want mom to stop nursing who ever is getting extra.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom cats do not stop nursing kittens that are being supplemented.