Nala and her kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No feeding until you weigh them. And no, mom will not stop nursing. But they may not need supplementing. We need to know their weights over a 24-hour period first to determine this. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok[emoji]9786[/emoji] nervous mom can't you tell!? Lol

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gotta say I'm very surprised with how things are going! I haven't heard any crying most of the day and every time I check on them there nursing or sleeping. They are still in the closet which is in my room. I was expecting some kind of noise!

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens, like newborns, spend the majority of their time eating or sleeping. I'll wager it goes doubly so with kittens, since they start off blind and deaf. Can you imagine? I'd sleep too! It doesn't sound like there's anything better to do! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hehe very true I would be too! I have one little one that crys when it can't get to eat cause of the others.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you getting a scale soon? The one who cries - you need to put this one to a nipple after the others are done to be SURE it's getting enough to eat. With 5, there's usually a runt who needs watching, and sometimes supplementing. We really need weights!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be getting one tomorrow. Everytime I've checked every 2 hours through out the day it was eating. This morning when I checked on them the little one was crying to find a nipple and I watched as it pushed it's way through as 2 squirmed there way off mom and went behind her back and slept. The little one was latched right on with its paws above its head. I don't think her milk has come in the 2 nipples that are closer to her front legs cause I have tried to put them on there and they don't want anything to do with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Doesn't matter, they - and he - need to nurse on nipples that are producing milk. I'll look forward to hearing weights from you tomorrow. It's the only way to know for sure. And although he's nursing, he may not be getting enough. We'll find out! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I just sat with them for about 20 minutes and watched them all nurse. There is lots of suckling noises and gulping and round belly's. They fall asleep after about 10 minutes. There's 2 that fight over a particular nipple and I can tell one has its favorite cause it's always there. He's the biggest and was the first one out. I'm going to get the scale soon and return the previous mixed formula for the powdered. I'll be anxious to see how much if any they are gaining.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! I'm anxious to hear the weights too!

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a scale that weighs up to 11 lbs of food. It's digital. Will this work?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So long as it weighs in tenths of ounces it will be fine.  You can check it with something small first that you know the weight of.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, Handsome Kitty is correct. We need tenths of ounces right now. Be sure to set the scale correctly and test it first.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok here are the weights. 6.0 oz,5.1 oz,5.6 oz,5.7 oz, 5.5 oz.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! They are doing fantastic! I see no need to supplement right now. Weigh them at the same time tomorrow, and we'll know for sure. In the meantime, you can give mama cat a dish of the KMR each day for extra calcium, and the kittens will begin drinking it when they wean. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. Yay! I got the powdered kind. How do I make it and how much should I give her?

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also the KMR I got says up to 6 weeks. Is it OK to give that to Mom?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There should be directions on the can.  Yes, you can give it to mom and the kittens when they are over 6 weeks.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok well I just read online to not give her KMR cause it won't help with milk production or anything else. She only eats kitten food and lots of wet food.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also when I went to weigh the kittens I noticed some blood stains on the blanket. It also smells a little buy I can't tell if it's feces from the kittens or urine or the blood.