Nala and her kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they are starting to hear now. I was in the closet spending time with them and I coughed and they all jumped at the same time! It was pretty funny...then 2 started moving there mouths as to hiss lol. The biggest one is moving around more now and his eyes are more opened and he heads towards to the of the nest a lot! There still little bobble heads. What an experience! Can't wait till there all roaming the house and figuring things out.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question regarding fleas?! I noticed one on a kitten today. I have combed mom a hundred times and there's non on her. I don't know where they are coming from. We have mice in our walls like crazy and I think there getting threw in the closet somehow. I changed and wash the bedding every other day. The kittens are 2 weeks old now. Can I put a collar on mom with the kittens around or what should I do?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No don't use a collar.  You can treat mom with Advantage II.  I think the kittens are still too young.  Can you clock off holes in the closet?  I duct taped the holes in mine from cables to keep the spiders from the attic out of my bedroom.

I wonder if there is a spray you can use in the closet.  @sarthur2

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give the vet a call and find out if there are any diseases the fleas can transmit to the kittens from the mice.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's coming from the mice but thats,the only thing I can think of. Where mom and kittens are there aren't any holes around. I keep combing them. I found one on another kitten. But still none are coming off mom. I'll get some Frontline for mom. Advantage is junk! I used to work at a vets! My other 2 cats don't have any either.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have fleas even though you don't see them because eggs are hatching. Probably only a few, since you've been washing the bedding, but getting it under control now is best, because the kittens will want to leave the closet and explore the room in another week's time. The Frontline you apply to mom's neck will kill the fleas on the kittens for now. Flea collars can be toxic to the kittens though, so avoid that. The kittens need to be about 8 weeks or 2 pounds for their own flea treatment.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want also to get the mice under control in a way that doesn't cause mites to go from them to you and your cats. You just can't kill the mice and let them die hidden or this will happen. Mites are miserable, from what I've heard, worse than fleas. Sorry to say.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest we live in a mobile home and the mice are always a problem even if we kill 10 20 more take there place. It's almost spring here but in the winter they make homes in the trailer walls. It's the only thing I can think of. All 3 of my cats had a flea collar all summer and fall last winter and I never saw any fleas. I am hoping to be able to move the kittens bed outside of the closet soon so I can clean in there. It's hard wood floors so it's not like the fleas are in the rug. I've never had any issues with mites either.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the cats get to the mice? Mingo does a nice job of pest control for me, and it used to be Mouse Central here. I have a flea ointment from the vet to put on him every month because the vet said his catching mice could not only lead to fleas but worms also.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nala has caught one before under the stove but it's been months. She used to sit in front of the stove for hours. We had to tie rubber bands around the cabinet doors cause she would go in and under the boards under the sink where they come in. I haven't seen any we can only hear them in the walls. She knows they are there cause she will sit and share at the wall too. But no they can't get at the mice right now. I do know a lot of people like to have cats to keep the mice population down but some places you just can't cause they keep breeding. They are a pest!!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It just doesn't make sense.. where are the couple of fleas I saw coming from? The kittens don't leave the closet and Nala only comes out 2 to 3 times a day for 5 to 10 min if that. And there's hard wood floors. Looks like have to bomb the house come spring time.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas could be coming from the muce, but you could also be bringing them in from outside. They can come from anywhere, unfortunately.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Flea eggs can lie dormant for quite a long time, and then hatch when conditions are optimum, and begin the cycle again. That's why I suggest treating the mom now with a topical on her neck.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought they never hatched or came out during the winter. I think I may have found the culprit. I have a box of old sheets that my other cat used to sleep in that was in the closet and I didn't think anything of it when I made the nesting area in the closet for mom and kittens. I just took everything out and washed the floors and walls in the closet and In washing all the sheets now but I noticed flea dirt and cat hair on the sheets that my other cat would lay on. They were on the bottom of the pile of moms nest! Hopefully that and the Frontline will get rid of them!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so here's a new thing I've noticed. Not sure if it's normal or what. I have set up another area in my bedroom with moms toys and mom plays there a lot. I've started taking one kitten out and putting it on the blanket to get some "exercise" and learn to walk more. Mom is right there acting like it's time to nurse lol. Well all of a sudden the kitten will start to venture off (not far) and mom will make a noise and get on top of the kitten and start biting it. Under the neck or on the side then take her back legs and kick it as if it were a toy!! Umm is this normal. I don't want to get mad at mom but I don't want her to hurt her kittens.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and before and during this time mom is also playing with her toys.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom is trying to get the kitten back in the nest. She would pick it up by the scruff of the neck and bring it back. It's best not to move the kittens too far away from her. She will let them get exercise when they're ready.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other "nest" I set up for her is right outside the closet door. She definitely wasn't going for the scruff of the neck. After a few minutes she goes back in the closet with the other kittens. I read that at 3 weeks you want to put them out to walk around to help get there legs stronger.