Nala and her kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are 8 weeks 2 days. I was told it was another way of weaning them. Cause they go up to her like they want to nurse. She also meows a lot now. She will grab her 2 mouse toys and do this meowing thing as if she's calling them. It's the strangest thing I've seen her do.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's the urge to provide food for her kittens. I had a queen who hunted outside and brought her kittens small rodents. Are you feeding the kittens?

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg yes they eat all the time! They are cubby things! It's defiantly not that. She maybe trying to teach them how to cat rodents cause she is great at catching mice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the age where mom teaches them to hunt. She uses a play mouse and brings it to them and shows them how to bat it around. The sounds she's making are called trilling. It's private language between mom and kittens. If she hisses or growls when they approach to nurse, then she is weaning them. This is why we suggest kittens stay with mom for 10-12 weeks, because they need to learn all these things from mom! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow so much to know! Learning something new every day

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 kittens have been gone for a week now. They will be 10 weeks old today and tomorrow. When will mom go back into heat? I read three weeks after giving birth but there are no signs of it at all! Getting a little worried cause dad hadn't been fixed yet when I let them out into the rest of the the house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should keep them separated, and get mom spayed and dad neutered ASAP!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can also get pregnant without going into heat. Have mom spayed immediately and get dad done as soon as you can. Don't allow them around one another until she is spayed.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dad has been fixed for almost a month now! I'm talking about during the time between letting mom and kittens out into the house before dad was neutered. I'm not sure if dad got to her or not. That is my concern. I'm not getting mom spayed yet until I know 100% she is not pregnant. She is getting fatter and eats alot still. She is also an indoor cat only so I can wait a little bit. Would rather get the kittens neutered as it will cost nothing!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sigh ... I did not realize you let them be together before he was neutered. She's probably pregnant again. Poor mama kitty. Back-to-back litters are very hard on a cat.

Regardless, mom will be happier and healthier when she is spayed. There is always the risk of pyometra when a cat has repeated heat cycles. She really needs to be spayed.

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure if she's pregnant or he did get to her. It was a couple weeks that they were together but but not really together cause when I was home which is all day everyday they were apart. He would sleep in a different room all day and she would be with her kittens. But....I don't know what happened at night or when we were gone. I'm hoping she's not and I'm just being paranoid. I'm still getting her spayed just not right away.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure if she's pregnant or he did get to her. It was a couple weeks that they were together but but not really together cause when I was home which is all day everyday they were apart. He would sleep in a different room all day and she would be with her kittens. But....I don't know what happened at night or when we were gone. I'm hoping she's not and I'm just being paranoid. I'm still getting her spayed just not right away.
Why are you waiting? If she is pregnant, she'll only be a little so can't you have her spayed and abort the foetuses. Wouldn't that be healthier for her?

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have the money right now to put towards it. The place I took my male said they spay females 2 weeks after they stop nursing. I'm going to give it a little bit to see if she is pregnant. There's no way I would abort her pregnancy!!!!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a very bad idea to let a cat have a litter so soon after the birth of another litter. It would be healthier for her to abort the pregnancy if she is in fact pregnant. The babies would need nutrients to grow that she has already depleted from having the first litter. It would be very unhealthy for her to have more babies. Please reconsider.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the health of mom needs to come first. Please speak to a vet sooner rather than later.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes rescues/Spca can negotiate help you if you're crunched for fund$ for an emergency case - if you check her nipples you can tell if she's pregnant. Vets here charge an extra 100.00 on top of spay fee to terminate pregnancy.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Nala is definitely NOT pregnant!!! She is in heat right now. I still plan on getting her fixed soon but glad to know she isn't pregnant!

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not possible. She's an indoor cat and doesn't try to get out.