Mystery solved!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

wow that must have been so upsetting. I am glad that the beautiful Zander is back home safe and sound 
Upsetting is putting it mildly. I was hysterical. I couldn't stop crying. I wouldn't talk to anyone at work because I didn't want to answer questions for fear of crying again at work. I would cry myself to sleep. I couldn't imagine life without her being in it.

I called home and checked on her and my DD said she is following her around like a lost puppy and won't leave her alone. I guess she's happy to be home. I can't wait to get off work so I can hold and cuddle her again.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Upsetting is putting it mildly. I was hysterical. I couldn't stop crying. I wouldn't talk to anyone at work because I didn't want to answer questions for fear of crying again at work. I would cry myself to sleep. I couldn't imagine life without her being in it.

I called home and checked on her and my DD said she is following her around like a lost puppy and won't leave her alone. I guess she's happy to be home. I can't wait to get off work so I can hold and cuddle her again.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that but she's home now where she belongs and she's OK. 

Give her extra kisses and cuddles. I'm sure she needs it. Feel free to add some for me too. I go into full panic mode every time Sophie pulls one of her disappearing acts. Of course she never gets outside but when I can't find her, I flip out. it's the worst. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So SO glad that Miss Zander is home safe and sound :D I can't begin to imagine just how awful those few days without her were :alright: Tell her from me that she's NEVER to scare you like that again! :uuh::nono:

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
So SO glad that Miss Zander is home safe and sound
I can't begin to imagine just how awful those few days without her were
Tell her from me that she's NEVER to scare you like that again!

Wow, that must have been awful.   It's like my worst nightmare losing Mouse (or one of my previous girls).   I know I'd be a total mess and it must have been really hard getting through work.   Couldn't be more relieved and happy for you that Zander baby is back home safe and sound.  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Zander found her way home to you.  When I think how she could have decided to go to the home you just moved away from instead it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

It sounds like maybe Zander managed to frighten herself almost as much as she frightened you, at least I certainly hope so.  Maybe it will become a little bit easier to keep her in now.

Margret

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Margret  I sure hope so. She is being very loving now. I hope she will remember this experience next time.

I am planning on building them an outside enclosure so I hope she will just wait until I get that built. Then she can stay outside in it all she wants.

@Columbine  I will definitely give her your message. 

@Kat0121  I will give her some from you too. Believe me, I watch her like a hawk now.

@MServant  I'm use to Luci hiding under everything but I still freak out when I can't find her. With Zander, I know she likes being outside but now I don't even want to take her out on her harness now.

Thanks everyone.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just purraised Zander's POUting, writing "cutest PUting ever". I HAVE to apologize for that! hahahahaha!

I have a friend who is currently working on developing gps tracking devices for cats. He is trying to figure out how to make them small enough so that cats can tolerate them and how to put a battery that lasts longer than 24 hrs...

People that have put gps tracking devices on their dogs have successfully found them within 2 hours (3 hrs tops) in some cases. These things actually work! If I didn't have the protective net and Grizzly actually tollerated something around his neck, I would consider them as an option, for sure.

P.S. Miss Zander is looking FIIIINE!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read this whole thread and WOW! What a great story! I took a parasitology class and never heard of bot flies crawling in cat's noses! So great that you caught it! How crazy!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update but not really for Zander.

Things are still crazy at home. My health hasn't been the best but I've seen a new doctor so hopefully it will be better soon. Work has been crazy too. I'm trying to get a promotion and that takes time. I'm still working both jobs so that take up most of my time. AND fostering is also taking up most of my spare time.

As for Miss Zander.... She is still as amazing and precious as ever. She didn't like the new fosters at first but has gotten better. She still demands her attention and will let everyone know that she is still in charge.

I just checked my phone for a new picture and realized I haven't taken any of her in a long time... bad mommy!!!!

I have lots of my foster babies, the twins and even Luci-fur, but none of my Zander.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, I just sat and read all of this thread.  Wow.  Wurp had the exact same worm, they are called "wolves" or botflies in this part of the country, but in his neck.  It damaged his vocal chords so that he couldn't meow for the longest, only made the "wuurrrrp" noise..hence his name.  He was a tiny kitty when he had one, that was how he came to live with me, I found him with a golf ball sized lump on his neck and got him through it.

Wurp's was under his skin, with the hole where the larva was. I actually removed it, they look like grub worms.  People here who hunt won't hunt/eat animals during the hot, humid, rainy parts of the year because most of the small furred animals are infested with these things.

I am now in love with Miss Zander!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow, I just sat and read all of this thread.  Wow.  Wurp had the exact same worm, they are called "wolves" or botflies in this part of the country, but in his neck.  It damaged his vocal chords so that he couldn't meow for the longest, only made the "wuurrrrp" noise..hence his name.  He was a tiny kitty when he had one, that was how he came to live with me, I found him with a golf ball sized lump on his neck and got him through it.

Wurp's was under his skin, with the hole where the larva was. I actually removed it, they look like grub worms.  People here who hunt won't hunt/eat animals during the hot, humid, rainy parts of the year because most of the small furred animals are infested with these things.

I am now in love with Miss Zander!!
Strangely it's nice to find someone who understands what a botfly larva is and has been through it. We also don't hunt or eat animals during the hot seasons. I'm glad I saw it and kept my vet informed he was shocked when I took her back the last time and told him there was something up her nose. She is so spoiled but I am happy she is safe. She is the strongest cat I've ever come across.

I'm glad Wurp found you when he did. I would love to see a picture of him. I will let Miss Zander know she has an addition to her fan club.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, please give her a hug and tell her she has another fan!  Wurp is the hairball in my lap in my avatar pic.  He is 12 now, and an absolutely grumpy old man.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, @kntrygrl256  I'm kinda stoked to find somebody else that knows about them! 

I guess because I'm so used to hearing about "wolves" around here (subject always comes up this time of year, bow season is open for deer--whole other discussion could evolve from that!!) I take it for granted that everyone knows what they are.  The old folks here always refer to them as "wolves" but most of my generation and younger do call them botfly larva.  I can spot one a mile away, but a lot of folks have never seen one--or heard of one.  They are confused with abscesses a lot of the time with the swelling and the hole, but the telltale difference is that they move around in there!  Yuck!
  I even had one lady tell me I was making it up, that there was no such thing!!

Oh, but yes there is.  And they are gross.

I've always seen them, my whole life, in squirrels, rabbits, deer, and even a calf once...but never on a cat until Wurp, and haven't heard of one since until now.  And never up an animal's nose!!  WOW!  Miss Zander is one tough cookie!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen them like I did with Zander. My vet had never seen one up the nose. He and his office was just as shocked as I was and several of them hunt.

The only way it was found was because it as in her nose. Once it got big enough to see I knew it wasn't normal. I am blessed with a wonderful vet who listens to his patients parents.

I finally got some updated pictures of her. You can tell the side of her nose that it was in. She has a lot of issues with that one. In fact, it's time to take her back to the vet for a check up. She's been sneezing a lot lately. It's funny but sometimes she will cover her nose with her paw when she sneezes. I would love to get a video of that but it's always too quick and not often.

Here is my precious little girl.... Miss Zander!!! Sitting with mommy (me)!! She still don't like her picture taken LOL

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Zander is too pretty not to have her picture taken.  
    Her sweet little nose is extra special, not least because we got to know her so much better for your seeking advice and sharing your thoughts about her.  

What a fine grumpy face young Zander has perfected though.  
     She left no doubt as to what she thought about her picture being taken there.  

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Zander is too pretty not to have her picture taken.  
    Her sweet little nose is extra special, not least because we got to know her so much better for your seeking advice and sharing your thoughts about her.  

What a fine grumpy face young Zander has perfected though.  
     She left no doubt as to what she thought about her picture being taken there.  
Exactly!!!

She will have such a sweet look on her face until I get my phone for a picture...then I get "THE LOOK"

I can't even sneak up on her. She could be the new grumpy cat!!! LOL 

Last edited:

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Haha Wurp will not allow photos hardly...he will turn his head at the very last minute every time, and will not look directly at the camera for anything.  Shortstack, however, is the biggest ham...he will freeze in place and let me take his picture!