My pregnant Missy

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
She's not aware enough. I have let her sniff and snuggle to her face but she'sjust too out of it. Will keep up the feeding til mom is better. I just hope she accepts it. Im not sure how cats do with there young if they don't actually go through the birthing process. Keep us in your thoughts because we need a
little good luck.
I reckon showing her kitten scent familiar and scent sharing between them is the best thing you can be doing to keep their bond strong.  I am sure you are giving this tiny kitten the best chance of getting back in close with mom as soon as she is feeling more like her self and the anaesthesia has worn off by doing what you have done so far.  I will definitely be keeping you all in my thoughts tonight, and in the days to come.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoping Mama Missy will be loving on and nursing her kitten tomorrow! Call your regular vet tomorrow and ask about residual effects in her milk for the kitten before you allow her to suckle ... Just in case!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh. I have been taking the kitten in with me every time i check on Missy, around once an hour. She sniff but turns away and is more worried about me picking her up than seeing to her baby. If she is laying down I try to let the kitten nurse but she growls and runs away. She has completely recovered from yesterday but is upset because of the confinement. The room she is in is a room that she never goes in and it's upsetting her. The time before last her hair started standing up when she smelled the kitten and more growls. This last time she hissed and tried to slap the kitten. Now I have not let any other cats near the baby and I have been the only one to handle it. I cut up aa few pieces of fleece and put them in missys bed and also took a couple of my button up shirts in there too. When I feed the kitten I wear the shirt and i keep rotating the pieces of fleece from babys bed to Missy's. It's just not working. I have to take Missy and baby back to the vet today so they can remove the catheter from her arm and im going to see if it will be ok to let her back into her comfort zones so she will calm down. Maybe that will do it but im not hopeful.

If Missy doesn't accept this kitten, I have to make some big decisions about my work. The only one i have to help me with feeding is my daughter. My sister was helping with. marlowe but marlow was a fragile little thing and didnt put up much of a fight. My sister has had a stroke and never gained full use out of her hand. Little Loki is a wild thing. Climbing up my shirt, squiming and quit strong. he weighed in at 4.1 ounces this morning.There is no way she will he able to control him. My work schedule is crazy. I will work morning one day nights the next and mid day too. So now i have to beg my employer to either only work nights or have to quit. Like I said sigh..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you can talk with your employer.  Working nights would be the best solution.  Not only because you keep your job - which is important enough, but  we dont want you burned out by a difficult scheme, coupled with your quest of helping small brethrens in  need.   You must take care about yourself too.

I do dearly hope your employeer sees it so to.  If necessary, tell himher  we from this forum are begging himher.   It wont probably help, but if heshe feels amused, so perhaps in a wave of good humour shehe will agree...   For himher it doesnt matter much, probably, if heshe has several employees.  But for you its a big deal.

Re the twichy youngster.  In a way, its wonderful to hear he is strong and agile, and his practical chances are thus much better than poor Marlowe had.

But it makes it difficult for your sis, who wants to help.  I suspect she feels it embarrassing...

OK, my tip for now is to wrap him in somehting soft, like a little soft towel.  Wrapped up like a burrito, he will not be able to wriggle.  He will probably just cease all resistance.

Why, as Im writing down this,  I got remember I saw one of our forumists do something alike this, I saw it even the other day.

Warm hugs to you, @KimberlyB

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope Missy can get back to her comfort zones in the house today. She may be recovered from the anesthesia, but she is likely still sore. She may yet accept the kitten in a day or two when she feels better, though it's sounding iffy at this point.

Relieved to hear that the kitten is a fighter. Is he on a bottle or syringe? Is there any way they can adjust your schedule for about 3 to 4 weeks? At that point, he would be able to eat from a dish. Or if he's sucking from the bottle, maybe your sister could try to help if he is wrapped up like StefanZ suggested. I hate for you to have to quit your job, but of course raising a kitten is a huge effort.

Are you returning to the vet who did the surgery, or your regular vet? Let us know how that goes!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Gee, I really hope you have a supportive boss:  even thinking about giving up your job for this little life is an amazing thing to do, but remember you need to be well and able to afford what you need for your cats otherwise none of you will survive.  Massive positive vibes for you and your chat with your boss.  

I hope your sister is able to help too if the burrito wrap helps.  

Keep up with the scent sharing and trying to keep Missy aware of the kitten for now, as like sarthur2 says, there is some chance her mood is affected by being sore and perhaps after affects of the anaesthesia.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Gee, I really hope you have a supportive boss:  even thinking about giving up your job for this little life is an amazing thing to do, but remember you need to be well and able to afford what you need for your cats otherwise none of you will survive.  Massive positive vibes for you and your chat with your boss.  

I hope your sister is able to help too if the burrito wrap helps.  

Keep up with the scent sharing and trying to keep Missy aware of the kitten for now, as like sarthur2 says, there is some chance her mood is affected by being sore and perhaps after affects of the anaesthesia.
This. I am going to be extremely blunt and tell you that unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN one of the following is true, it is NEVER a good idea to give up a job without having another one lined up unless you are in a country with an ENORMOUS social safety net:

-you have at least 6 months of expenses saved, ideally closer to 18

-you are sure you are in a high demand field and you will be able to find a new job within 3 months (even accounting for time spent job hunting/interviewing)

-you are sure someone will support you like a parent or a spouse (be warned it is never wise to assume this even with a spouse)

-you are independently wealthy

Sorry to stray off topic but it's important to realize that giving up a job can be a big deal and you might not be able to get the job back (obviously) or even get a reference for the next job you apply for.  I realize your heart is 10000% in the right place but you even run the risk of this current boss of thinking of you as a bad employee/flighty for not giving notice and giving you a negative reference if future potential employers call.  You should seriously think about this decision unless you are quite well off indeed.

It might be better to call ALL local shelters and see if anyone can help you.

Otherwise I am just so sorry and it sounds like you are doing everything right :/ What a heartbreaking situation.

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I have everything worked out. I'm super emotional today is all. You know when you've had no sleep and everything just looks dire, you expect the worse. I will make it through without quiting.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think I have everything worked out. I'm super emotional today is all. You know when you've had no sleep and everything just looks dire, you expect the worse. I will make it through without quiting.
This kind of situation is always going to be super emotional and drain all the energy you have if you are a caring person:  know you have a pile of people here rooting for you, Missy and her new kit'.  We can't physically help out but we are certainly here willing you on and ready if you need to let out some of that emotion.  It can get pretty hard to think about things objectively when you get too tired.

How are you all doing today?

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are doing good today! Thank you so much. You guys are wonderful.

I was getting concerned because Loki wasn't pooing very good but then I learned about the triangle method and all is well now. That works really well! :lol3:

Mom and baby went back to the vet yesterday. He said the kitten looks really good and he wasnt surprised about her rejecting the Baby. I talked to my vet too and he said to let the other vet finish up her care with this and to make an appointment for a checkup with them. I love my vet. he talks to the fur babies like they are human.

Missy is better being back in her territory of the house but alas she still will not mother the kitten. She has some of those mothering instints though, she just doesnt know what to do with them. When the baby cries she runs around in front of me growling, warning the other cats off. She'll reach up and smell him but that's about it. She even layed beside me when doing a feeding. I attempted to let the kitten feed but she jumped up, hissed at me, and gave me one of those looks only a cat can. lol

I will keep y'all updated on Loki's progress!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a shame she isn't taking to feeding Loki (nice name BTW), but how she will lay beside you when you are doing the feeding is a great thing:  perhaps she does sense something although she isn't up do doing the feeding her self.  I hope she continues with this as perhaps with time she will have a strong bond with Loki and show other mothering instincts toward him like letting him snuggle in, or grooming.  Give her time.  

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Missy is pulling her stitches out! Oh my gosh! What do I do?

She has been absolutely horrible since yesterday! It started with her attacking my 12 year old spayed female. They don't fight. I mean they were never cuddle buddies, they just don't interact with each other. It happened several times. We finally moved the other female into my daughters room because Missy does not do well confined as you guys know. I know Missy has went through a lot the last few days but she is acting crazy! She also is trying to go outside. All my cats are completely indoor kitties. She has had no interest in going out ever, even when she was with my neighbor. And I don't even think she wants to go out so much as she wants to where ever we go. She tries to walk out with us and sits and cries at the door and as long as everyone is inside she's fine. I asked my vet and he suggested a cat relaxant like feliway. Sooo I used the last of our emergency vet fund to order the diffuser, spray, and more kmr.

Now, I was loving on her, thinking the extra attention might be what she needs, and started notice her cleaning her belly. She kind of shook her head and one of the stitches fell out of her mouth. I looked and she has pulled half of them out! She's not bleeding, there is no irritation, no signs of infection, it doesn't look like the incision is seperating, and no fever. She's still eating and drinking normal. She is also peeing and pooing normally. I can not afford another emergency visit. I swear it's crazy town around here. I'm going to have to be medicated before this is all over with!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Missy is pulling her stitches out! Oh my gosh! What do I do?

She has been absolutely horrible since yesterday! It started with her attacking my 12 year old spayed female. They don't fight. I mean they were never cuddle buddies, they just don't interact with each other. It happened several times. We finally moved the other female into my daughters room because Missy does not do well confined as you guys know. I know Missy has went through a lot the last few days but she is acting crazy! She also is trying to go outside. All my cats are completely indoor kitties. She has had no interest in going out ever, even when she was with my neighbor. And I don't even think she wants to go out so much as she wants to where ever we go. She tries to walk out with us and sits and cries at the door and as long as everyone is inside she's fine. I asked my vet and he suggested a cat relaxant like feliway. Sooo I used the last of our emergency vet fund to order the diffuser, spray, and more kmr.

Now, I was loving on her, thinking the extra attention might be what she needs, and started notice her cleaning her belly. She kind of shook her head and one of the stitches fell out of her mouth. I looked and she has pulled half of them out! She's not bleeding, there is no irritation, no signs of infection, it doesn't look like the incision is seperating, and no fever. She's still eating and drinking normal. She is also peeing and pooing normally. I can not afford another emergency visit. I swear it's crazy town around here. I'm going to have to be medicated before this is all over with!
You dont need to do nothing about this

I was planning to write, its prob not as dangerous as it looks, as  surving homeless and semiferalea do have a good healing meat.  They must have, otherwise they wouldnt be suriving...   As you surely know.   Also,  its common spayed semiferales needs just about 3 days of rest, or even less, but 3 days is good to provide.  The most ferale gets usually too unrule after that, too.

And I read your post, and it looks very comforting, no visible problems.  See!?     :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You! I think my husband and kids will probably want to medicate me after this too!:lol3:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
K kimberlyb

You've been handling things very well! Give yourself a much-deserved pat on the back for hanging in there! Just take a deep breath!

I've had cats pull stitches out. They get itchy and tight, and the cat takes care of it. As Stefan said, it's not a problem.

I think Missy is frustrated and hormonal, and perhaps even a bit confused. I would absolutely not let her out. She should settle down soon. She too has been through a lot recently, and unfortunately took it out on your other cat. It should resolve as soon as she feels back to her old self and resumes her normal routines.

How is Loki doing? :)

Last edited:

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loki is constipated. Poor thing. I diluted his formula and added a couple of drops of olive oil to this last bottle. Keeping my fingers crossed. If no poo I guess we will be off to the vet. Speaking of bottles, we made the transition from the 1 ml syringe to a bottle this morning. He did great and even started purrring afterwards. So cute!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, that's awesome! He'll enjoy the sucking.

Hopefully the oil will help. You could also try the glycerin suppository that catwoman suggests before heading to the vet.

I'll page her for you so she can explain.

catwoman707 catwoman707

How is Missy this morning? Any Calmer?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Loki's constipation-

Have you been monitoring his weight daily to determine he is gaining enough daily btw?

Great he is now on the bottle! This helps so much.

Continue adding a couple drops to each of his bottles.

It's not the end of the world if babies don't poop every single day, so nothing to panic about.

Just continue with the oil and let's see how he does.

I potty babies under warm water, if you pick him up by his scruff with your left hand, and turn your hand so he is still scruffed but is laying in your palm, put his butt under warm running water, toasty warm but not hot, with your right hand tap his butt area with your fingertip rather than rub, tap tap tap, you will see his body get really relaxed, arms/legs get loose and hang, head drops back, they LOVE it!

This also helps them relax and go potty better.

Just be sure to dry him off well so he doesn't get cold, as they are unable to shiver yet.

If, after a couple days he isn't going still, I will tell you how to give an enema, very simple.