My pregnant Missy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has pooed a couple of times today. Yay! He weighed 104 grams at birth and as a few minutes ago 129. So around 6 grams a day. I think since he has started the bottle I should see a little more a day because he is eating more .

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all he is in the most dangerous position imaginable!!

PLEASE listen about this, babies MUST be fed on their tummies, head tilted up a bit. This position allows them to inhale the milk, ONE tiny drop inhaled and baby dies in a day of pneumonia.

Happens ALL the time.

Sorry if I came across strong, but it's very, very serious!! No fault, I know most people don't know this. I started out feeding the same way many years ago, but I also lost from pneumonia because of it.

If you hear a clicking sound when breathing, that's what pneumonia starts out sounding like.

Regarding the weight gain, 6 grams is the bare minimum, so you will want to increase intake, aim for a good 10 grams a day at least, baby will be in a much stronger health and much better chance for a healthy future :)

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He feeds on his stomach promise. My daughter took the picture and this was right when i was about to pull the bottle away. He was digging his claws in and pulling up. I wondered why you said that and i looked again. I guess the light makes the bottle look full but it was empty. And your not coming on strong. I would rather be warned and prevent something bad from happening.;)

I went ahead and removed the picture so no one would use it as an example for feeding.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hope all goes will now with the feeding and little Loki grows nicely.  He's looking very cute there head cradled in your palm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable! Glad you shared so that you could hear warnings. Hope to see bigger weight gains now with the bottle. Glad Loki is going poo now too!

Fill us in on how Missy is doing when you post next. :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He feeds on his stomach promise. My daughter took the picture and this was right when i was about to pull the bottle away. He was digging his claws in and pulling up. I wondered why you said that and i looked again. I guess the light makes the bottle look full but it was empty. And your not coming on strong. I would rather be warned and prevent something bad from happening.

I went ahead and removed the picture so no one would use it as an example for feeding.
SO glad to hear this!! I saw the pic and panicked! Never want others to learn the hard way, although sadly, MOST people think feeding a baby kitten as you would a baby human :(

As long as they are on their tummies, they control what is sucked out/swallowed, rather than the milk just keeps coming whether he needs to take a breath or not, which of course causes pneumonia.

Excellent! You're doing an amazing job, just work on getting that weight gain increased and he will do great!

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Missy is doing good. She managed to get ALL her stitches out. :frusty: but her incision looks good and no fever. I talked to the vet and he said as long as those two things are good and she is taking her antibiotics, there is no need to bring her in. Her aggressive behavior is better but now she is nesting. I didnt remove her nesting box and she goes in there and digs around, then takes a nap. Before her pregnancy it was a very rare thing to hear her meow. Now it's a big part of her day. Very vocal cat now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad to hear she's well! Do you think she might have any interest at all in her baby now?

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you give me the instructions for a cat enema? Loki's belly is bloated and he is straining without results.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will use a 1 ml syringe, no needle type. Not sure if you said you already have one for feeding prior to the bottle, but same type.

You will use a mix of 50/50 mineral oil and warm water, be sure it's not cold, nice and warm is best.

Just insert the tip of the syringe into his little butt, and gently plunge it in, not fast, doesn't have to be super slow either.

The oil will lube things up well and allow him to poop easy, usually within a couple hours or so.

If not by tonight, repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He pooed a little but i think first thing monday he is going to the vet. The poo smelled really bad. :sigh:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will smell bad since it's been inside too long, it's the norm :)

Unfortunately vets are bad with babies, lacking experience in how to save them and care for them.

They can give sub-q fluids yes, but that's about it, it takes a rescuer with experience to really know what to do for different issues.

Did you do the enema? If he isn't pooping normally just do it again, as long as you allow time in between for his system and poop to fix itself with the help of the oil.

Last edited:

kimberlyb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Loki. We did not end up doing the enema. I tried the olive oil in the formula again and it worked. Loki smelled horrible for about a day. I mean it smelled BAD! After that first poo he refused to eat so we spent a whole night syringe feeding about every hour. Whenever he pottied he would poo so I think he may have had a little diarrhea. The next morning I tried the bottle and was he was still refusing it. I decided to try potty first and that seemed to work. He took his bottle and has ever since. After burping we do this little kitty massage thing to see if it will help with digestion and to try and keep the constipation away. It seems to be working bexause everything seems to be normal now and he enjoys it a lot. There is lots of purring and rolling around on his back.

Loki is 8 days old today and both eyes are open. He weights 161 grams and that was early this morning. We are up to 8 grams a day, not our goal of 10 but better than the 6 we were getting.

It will be interesting to see what his color will do. He has these grey highlights.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good news all around!! Happy dance!  

Excellent weight, weight gains, great poop, sounds smooth from here!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What fantastic news! So happy he is doing well. Loki is precious, and you are doing a superb job of raising him! :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing so well, and figuring out how he wants his routine so he feeds best is great. The belly rubs with purring sound awesome.
    Rooting for you here and hoping all continues to go well for Loki and Missy.