My friend got rejected to adopt a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter where I got my cats actively discourages declawing and provides resources for new owners to help encourage kitties to scratch in the 'right' places...but, they also believe that if it's a choice between declawing, and a cat not having an otherwise good and loving home...well....

My own two cats are declawed, as they came that way when I adopted them as adults (they were picked up as strays). And, my girl has never had any 'issues' whatsoever; my boy has had litter box issues, but I'm not at all sure it's related to his declawing, and I do have friends who've had declawed cats for over 20 years and haven't had issues.

I also agree that declawing will eventually be phased out except in extremely limited situations, but further education (not condemnation) needs to be furnished to people who haven't had cats, either ever or in the recent past. Remember, even only 15 or so years back, it was considered a routine surgery.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a very complex issue.
Shelters and adoption processes. I myself have had some weird experiances with shelters while trying to adopt. Some animal lovers are strange and lack certain people skills, although I am sure their hearts are in the right place.
The trouble with humans is that we are imperfect. Could catch people on bad days, or people with less experiance in doing adoptions, or people with TOO MUCH bad experiance with adopting to people.

The important thing is to assess what the shelters needs are in regards to adoption, which in this case the main thing was vet references, and to see if they are going to be an option for you. I agree that it would have been a good idea for them to tell him what they needed over the phone, perhaps things were crazy busy when he called and it slipped through the cracks at the time. He also could have asked what they needed but perhaps he hadn't thought about it at the time either.

(Just a side note: One shelter I went to didn't know what the Feline Herpes virus was.
Which I understand is common in shelter animals. I was immediately turned off by these people. I was trying to find a companion for Fiona at the time who has the virus and was looking for cats with it till I was educated more about it and realized that I could adopt any cat. Just shows how every shelter is different. They seemed like they had alot of experiance, been around a long time but didn't know about this common cat virus?
)

I am glad to hear that they are allowing him to apply again. I think that speaks to the fact that he probably was not giving off a "vibe" but that he needed vet referances and that was a non-negotiable part of their adoption process. Not unreasonable.

I also completely disagree that he was going to "run off" with the cat. It is a saying like " Take the money and run". He just meant he was going to adopt the cat and get it the heck out of there because he didn't like the shelter (which he has every right not too). I've been in a few shelters around my area that are kinda gross and I don't agree with how they conduct their business of taking care of the animals. But it happens. I wouldn't donate to them either if I thought there was something wrong with them. Not all shelters are good shelters.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I also completely disagree that he was going to "run off" with the cat. It is a saying like " Take the money and run". He just meant he was going to adopt the cat and get it the heck out of there because he didn't like the shelter (which he has every right not too). I've been in a few shelters around my area that are kinda gross and I don't agree with how they conduct their business of taking care of the animals. But it happens. I wouldn't donate to them either if I thought there was something wrong with them. Not all shelters are good shelters.
Really, even though he says he is NOT going to donate any money to the shelter, just run with the cat?
It is not me who is saying the guy is not going to pay for the cat, and run with it... I myself have never seen a shelter that doesn't charge a donation for the pet... so... if he is NOT paying, taking the pet and running with it, that for me constitutes stealing - unless he used a set of words that didn't describe what his friend was about to do.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Really, even though he says he is NOT going to donate any money to the shelter, just run with the cat?
It is not me who is saying the guy is not going to pay for the cat, and run with it... I myself have never seen a shelter that doesn't charge a donation for the pet... so... if he is NOT paying, taking the pet and running with it, that for me constitutes stealing - unless he used a set of words that didn't describe what his friend was about to do.
I understood his post to mean he would pay the fee, take the cat, but would not be donating any extra. I didn't read it to mean he was going to steal the cat.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I understood his post to mean he would pay the fee, take the cat, but would not be donating any extra. I didn't read it to mean he was going to steal the cat.
I surely hope so....

sammyp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Yes, exactly. I can understand the sentiment of wanting to rescue a creature from a "bad' situation, which is obviously what this shelter seems like to the guy wanting to adopt this kitty. He wants to get the kitty out and give it a loving home ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yes, but going into the interview knowing that he wasn't going to donate to them (or even having an inkling the group was not what he considered "up to par"), he may well have been giving off bad vibes - whether the group is "bad" or not.

Terrible or not is a purr-sonal opinion - I know there are many out there that hate our group & think us horrible.
I just said twice that he went there with the intention of donating.....but came home and read of how bad that Shelter is.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just have to add in that when I adopted my Bean Bean from the shelter they physically gave me a three page long list of vets that they recommended. Including a wonderful Feline Only vet that I used to take him to.

That is information that they should supply you with. As well as the first vet visit free since most cats that come from the shelter end up with at least a URI.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

I just said twice that he went there with the intention of donating.....but came home and read of how bad that Shelter is.
So... can you do us a favor? Can you clarify as what you friend is planning to do? Is he going to pay the adoption fee? Is he going to try to go back?
Also:
Do you know what is his living situation? does he have a job? is he over 18? does he live with his parents? are his parents on board for this? does he rent? is his place pet friendly?
See - there might be a reason there..... It wouldn't make sense to just turn down an adopter for an 8-year old kitty for nothing.... IMO there is a reason behind this... And this reason can be many things.... Yes, the shelter wants to adopt, but also wants to make sure that the kitty will not be put in a bad situation...

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So... can you do us a favor? Can you clarify as what you friend is planning to do? Is he going to pay the adoption fee? Is he going to try to go back?
Also:
Do you know what is his living situation? does he have a job? is he over 18? does he live with his parents? are his parents on board for this? does he rent? is his place pet friendly?
See - there might be a reason there..... It wouldn't make sense to just turn down an adopter for an 8-year old kitty for nothing.... IMO there is a reason behind this... And this reason can be many things.... Yes, the shelter wants to adopt, but also wants to make sure that the kitty will not be put in a bad situation...
He is planning on paying every fee that needs to get paid (If any, I am not sure) and "Get the heck out of there", like one user said.

I'm not sure why I need to explain his whole life story to you, but he is 21 and has his own pet-friendly place. They turned him down because he couldn't name a vet, but apparently someone told him to come back the next day with a name and get interviewed all over again.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure why I need to explain his whole life story to you, but he is 21 and has his own pet-friendly place.
You don't, but thank you.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You don't, but thank you.
Hes owned plenty of cats before so he isn't clueless or anything. Hes also really caring. I actually got confused, I thought he was getting a Maine Coon because that's what he told me his heart was set on, he's always wanted one, but instead he went to the shelter and found Odessa....who they said was very frightened in the shelter and he wanted to give her a home. Odessa isn't a Maine Coon, just a black and white domestic cat. I know I SAID she was a Maine Coon but I didn't know. So sorry for any confusion!

This is her

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Carolina - it's a figure of speech.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Just a reminder to all members, this is a worldwide community. There are quite a few posters here for which English is not their first language. "Figures of speech" in one country could be taken quite literally in another. We expect all members to be respectful of different languages and cultures.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Just a reminder to all members, this is a worldwide community. There are quite a few posters here for which English is not their first language. "Figures of speech" in one country could be taken quite literally in another.
Thank you - Let's see Degu_2009 speak Portuguese and Spanish.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you - Let's see Degu_2009 speak Portuguese and Spanish.
True! Sorry bout that.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A more important point, and seemingly more true every day: A lot of people who grew up speaking English write English very poorly, and others who read it very poorly. In addition, on the internet, you can't hear tone of voice, inflection, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.