My Cat Timmy Has Such Low Energy ... Not Like This Before ... Any Ideas???

deebeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Timmy's become very lackluster. 
  None of his usual racing around.  I'm worried.  It seemed to start after introducing Orijen dry.  Cookie, on the other hand (his sister), has much more energy after being on Orijen. Could this be some reverse effect with Timmy?  Hope it's not hypothyroid.  I know that's rare in cats, but ...

They still eat same wet foods:  Wellness Beef & Chicken and FF Tender Beef Feast along with some raw organic chicken.  But he's not as ravenous as before. Even with his fav toy out (a rod with a thick string on it), he'll try to catch it by reaching out without getting up. Cookie races around after it.  They're both 8 y.o.

I'm increasing Orijen, small amounts, more feedings.  Then if he's still so low energy, get him to the vet. Was thinking of returning to Purina Complete for a week (see if any increase in energy).  This is what they were eating prior to a month ago and Orijen -- his energy was better then.  Probably not related, but ?

He's fine otherwise, no pain in walking, jumping up to places.  Boy do I wish they could talk!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

deebeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good NEWS!!!  I think Timmy was mainly BORED.  

I remembered a rod and gizmo toy a friend sent at Xmas. Hadn't used it.  Took it out and put it together.
Voila, Timmy came alive.  

I'm still going to take him for a checkup, but I think he was simply unmotivated to do much.  
Not sure this is the whole answer, but it's part of the answer.  

Couldn't re-edit initial thread.  

Phew, born to worry, that's my family crest.

Thanks.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to turned out to be an easy fix, but also glad Timmy's keeping his check-up. It never hurts to double check.

A new toy is always worth some fun, though. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deebeee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ms. Freya,

Thanks for your comment.  To be honest, still a bit worried ... he sleeps a ton.  In contrast to his sister Cookie who is a ball of energy.  Yep checkup/blood tests soon.  New toy was definitely needed.  Boredom can be sedating  

A friend said that at 8 (their age, brother and sister), they can start to slow down. YIPES. Checkup as soon as I can.