A GIFT! I GOT A GIFT!

3kitmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Note: Not sure where to post this story.)
I hear Dandy make a funny noise. She was outside on the upper deck, where we have big pots of tomatoes growing. Many yellow flowers. She came running into my office, with Something in her mouth. Excited. Tail poofed and straight up, with a curl at the end. She's making a funny noise in her throat. It sounds suspiciously like, "Food! I got food!" She drops her catch at my feet.
"Oh, Dandy. What have you done? Oh, Dandy. That is not a good thing to do. Oh, my. (Inhale.) My great huntress! Thank you."
I called to husband, "Dandy got a hummingbird!" He comes on the run; well, on the quick, and greets Dandy. "What have you there, Dandy?" She is quivering, she is so proud of herself. I get a paper towel, pass it to husband. He picks up the tiny bright green Anna's hummer. Dandy is thrilled with her catch. She is weaving between our legs, so proud of herself. She has hummer feathers on her mouth.
We're not sure if the little birdy is dead. Or not. Maybe it just fainted from terror? Husband puts it outside, on the kitchen ledge.
Dandy is wandering around, looking for her treasure. She checks the tomato ports, where she probably found it. She calls for it. I* check for the little bird; such a tiny scrap of life. But it is gone.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was gone, its probably was unharmed, but stunned. I had something similar happen with a sparrow that I thought was injured in my yard. I checked on it often, and after an hour or so I checked on it again and it flew away, seemingly unharmed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3kitmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was gone. I'm hoping it must have flown back to its little nest, to warn the others of the Dandy Beast! Hummers do fly very fast, but maybe not so much if their heads are in the tomato flower!