My Cat Is Very Sick!

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is just a short post to ask that if any of you have a moment, then please can you keep my 6yr old Bengal, Pau Sau( pronounced Pow-Sow...as in in the word WOW! ) in your thoughts.

A couple of days ago, his weight plummeted, he is sleepy, and not at all well. We took him to the vet on Saturday, and the vet was shocked. He'd only seen him 10 days previously, and his weight has dropped so much, he is just under 4kgs ! He hasn't a blocked gut, or bad teeth, he had gastroenteritis (sp?) but was recovered, and now this. The vet said we have to be very worried now, and start to prepare ourselves...just in case. He gave us a tube for a stool sample, but to be honest, his stool is like water, and he won't 'go' in a non sanded litter box! We are taking him back to the vets first thing in the morning. He has dropped more weight today, and is now dehydrated inspite of drinking a fair bit.

Please pray for us, or keep us in your thoughts. I am so scared right now. We have only had him since November, and I love him so much. The very thought of having to say goodbye to him just makes me start sobbing.

Anyone with a spare miracle up their sleave...please can I
borrow it for my Pauie, for a little while ???

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happier times, a few weeks ago :

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! I am so sorry for your furbaby! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((((hugs)))))))))

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH NO! I truly hope he pulls through this! Sending lots of prayers and get well wishes!

Is there any way you could take him to a Vet ER tonight? If he's dehydrated, it could be VERY dangerous!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia I am going to put this in our Health forum for you-

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spoke to our vet a little while back and he said that he will definately be ok for a few hours, and if he gets worse before 7am, which is when we are seeing him, he'll come out immediately to me, if I can't get to him. Pauie is sleeping at the moment. After what I described, and the webcam shot of Pauie's skin pinch test and eye close up, the vet thinks I'm fretting a bit to much over the dehydration thing, just now, and that he'll be ok for a few more hours. He would rather give it that time to see if I can catch a stool sample in the meantime.

It's going to be a very long night !

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your furbaby
Is the vet going to run some tests?

I will keep him in my thoughts

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia if you can get a hold of some Pedialyte and give this to your cat, that will help a lot.

About the stool sample, if you use dried beans, it *fools* cats into thinking that it is cat litter and you can get a sample for the vet. Has the vet ruled out giardia? Coccidia? As a precaution, stop giving your cat tap water and instead buy bottled water for him.

Best of luck, many will be pulling for you here.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope he starts to feel better soon. Me, Tibby and Corkscrew are sending some good thoughts your way.

annabanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
((((((((hugs))))))))

I am soo sorry to hear about your baby :angel2: My prayers all the way. I know someone is looking out for him.

sonia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said that we have to be very concerned. They are keeping him in. He could barely walk by 7am, he's too weak. Also, he usually yowls all the way to the vet...this time in the car, he slept. Woke up on arrival, but was sleeping again by the time we got into the waiting room. The vet said his temperature is low, although the dehydration isn't to bad. His gut doesn't feel blocked, although it's gassy, but something is clearly wrong.

The tests that are going to be done, are blood, urine, feaces, and general intensive observation. He is on a drip as we speak. The vets
are looking for gut parasites, and blood anomilies, but usually there
is a rise in temperature for gut parasites. The vet said the situation is very serious. He is now just over 3.5kgs in weight.
Now all we can do is wait and pray

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

jmvito

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sonia, has your vet tested Powie's liver enzymes and blood glucose? Has he checked for signs of jaundice -- yellowing in the ears, eye whites, palate, which are signs of liver trouble. You mention that he's drinking quite a bit yet is dehydrated -- excessive thirst could be a sign of diabetes.