my cat got shot!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be wise to let Kasmo be indoor only. He will be much safer that way...no worries for you then either

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she will be indoor than. i agree with you Lacey, it's the best for her

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read this whole post through. As everyone else, I am horrified as to what happened.

I do strongly urge you to keep that cat indoors. It's just the same w/ a child- he may want to badly do something but it's a parents responsibility to not let them, knowing it's in their best interest, in order to keep them safe. You've said you have a field near your house where others have lost their cats (I believe is what you said) and obviously very cruel neighbors.... I really hope you decide to keep the cat indoors. It's the safest place.. and trust me, the cat will adjust just fine. My husband's cat was an outdoor cat before we met.. and needless to say - she moved in w/ me before he did! All of my cats are indoors, and I strongly believe it's the only place they belong.
Good luck with this.

Have you heard anymore from the police? Have you contacted the media at all?

You've received allot of really good advice here, there are several sites that have been suggested to help w/ the financial aspect for the surgery - I hope you have luck finding someone that can help you. I would help you out of my own pocket if I could, but I have about $1500 worth of bills coming up in the next month or two. Since you've been working so closely with your vet, I would definitely ask him if he can do anything to help you w/ payments. And as a couple people here suggested- if you get media coverage on this, I'm sure people will come forward and help w/ the costs of surgery. Okay, actually- one last thing. It was an excellent suggestion that you get a second opinion - especially since your vet openly admitted he wasn't qualified. Have you or are you planning on getting a second opinion?

Good luck and I hope Casmo the best!

Teshia

**Actually- one last thing re: the SOB that did this. Without getting into too much info, I am currently going after someone that committed crimes against me 22 yrs ago. It takes time but it's well worth it. I was too young to have a voice back then, but I very much have a voice now and will do everything to put this person behind bars and stop him from hurting others. You have the power to do the same w/ this person - and stop him from hurting animals. Just as someone else mentioned- if he's capable of committing such a cruel act against a poor cat- he's a danger to society in general and needs to be exposed. I know it can be intimidating but what you're doing for other people and their cats, is priceless.. and you're honoring your own cat by not letting this creep get away with it.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that you have decided to keep Casmo inside.

Originally Posted by cazimauw

she will be indoor than. i agree with you Lacey, it's the best for her

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the clinic where I work, a person found a stray kitten, mangled by a car's fanbelt, that had to have her leg and part of her other leg amputated. We were so touched by this man's kindness at wanting to care for the little kitten, that we put out a collection can with her picture and story on it, and raised enough money to not only pay the bill, but put towards future kitten shots and stuff. Maybe you could ask your vet to do this for you? Your story, and especially Casmo's will touch the hearts of anyone that reads it, and maybe through donations, they can raise some of the money for you that way. I very strongly agree that you should keep Casmo (and all your cats) indoors! There are just TOO many dangers out there for our babies to get hurt by! Or, you could make a really cool enclosure that starts from a doggie door on your back door, and leads through a tunnel to an enclosed area (like with strong chicken wire), complete with scratching posts, ledges to leap up to and lie on, or even a small pond with fishies! They can come and go as they please through the doggie door, but NEVER actually be exposed to the dangers, because they're caged in! And you can lock the doggie door when you want them inside. This will give them the best of both worlds. But, make sure you tell them it's a kitty door, not a doggie door, so they won't be offended! Lol.
I was so saddened to read this story about Casmo, and my thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery are with you!!!

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome idea!!

Originally Posted by menagerie mama

At the clinic where I work, a person found a stray kitten, mangled by a car's fanbelt, that had to have her leg and part of her other leg amputated. We were so touched by this man's kindness at wanting to care for the little kitten, that we put out a collection can with her picture and story on it, and raised enough money to not only pay the bill, but put towards future kitten shots and stuff. Maybe you could ask your vet to do this for you? Your story, and especially Casmo's will touch the hearts of anyone that reads it, and maybe through donations, they can raise some of the money for you that way. I very strongly agree that you should keep Casmo (and all your cats) indoors! There are just TOO many dangers out there for our babies to get hurt by! Or, you could make a really cool enclosure that starts from a doggie door on your back door, and leads through a tunnel to an enclosed area (like with strong chicken wire), complete with scratching posts, ledges to leap up to and lie on, or even a small pond with fishies! They can come and go as they please through the doggie door, but NEVER actually be exposed to the dangers, because they're caged in! And you can lock the doggie door when you want them inside. This will give them the best of both worlds. But, make sure you tell them it's a kitty door, not a doggie door, so they won't be offended! Lol.
I was so saddened to read this story about Casmo, and my thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery are with you!!!

kattcom999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep your baby inside if at all possible. A caged area would also be great to play in, but supervised. Also "pin" that retchid neighbor to the wall, do what you can to make him pay for what he has done.
Like others have said he is a threat, not only to our precious animal but to the children of the community as well. Hope your baby makes a full recovery, my prayers are with you.

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks everybody for all the replies and suport,
i realy like the dogie flap idea
so does casmo

thank u Teshia i totaly agree with u . it is my responsibility to keep her safe.
we havent heard anything from the cops yet i will tell u asap when i do find something out.
and ya i dont no if i am the media kind of person
but if i really have to i will for my litle casmo and all the other litle creatures threatned by that old meany

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Casmo will stat indoors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, A lot of people on here will contact the media I'm sure.. hehe. Just say the word.

Good luck and again, keep us posted.

Originally Posted by cazimauw

thanks everybody for all the replies and suport,
i realy like the dogie flap idea
so does casmo

thank u Teshia i totaly agree with u . it is my responsibility to keep her safe.
we havent heard anything from the cops yet i will tell u asap when i do find something out.
and ya i dont no if i am the media kind of person
but if i really have to i will for my litle casmo and all the other litle creatures threatned by that old meany

maane1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im so sorry to hear that
. god i just wish i can go there and beat the guy up who shot your cat
. he is one ******************!
i hope u will feel better soon

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well today we gave casmo a bath...
she hated it!
she scratched my elbow and tried with all her might to get out of the bath but ya didnt work to well we finaly managed to clean her bum after some scrathing, meowing, and fighting to get out of the bath.
she has been verry good today we could just leave the door wide open and she stayed inside all day
we only took her out for bathroom usage
talking about that do u know a way we can get her to use the kitty liter cuz the litter box doesnt seem to realy interest her anymore...
she hasned used it in a while since she'd go outside and ya maybe its to small or so...

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a bigger box and a product called Cat attract by Dr. Elseys. You can get it in put stores or from Fosters and Smith!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to spend that much $$ just go to target or kmart and buy one of those plastic containers that people can store stuff until their beds. The are very large and fairly low so the cat can get in it.
If you have to give a bath again we have lots of pitchers that we fill up with water so the cat and get wet faster and then dh refills while I'm soaping up cat and then we have the rinse water ready. Plus lots of towels handy!!

cazimauw

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sry i havent been on much its just that school started and i am rather busy.
casmo is doing good she was standing in her crate last night making me dream that she could walk again

wel my sisters cat cought a buny (the dogs helped) and ate it
casmo would have loved but i didnt show her.
this morning she peed all over the floor i'll try and look for that product that you sugested!

kateyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I have read this thread and it hurt so much to read what cazmo and you have gone through.
I'm amazed how strong your kitty is and how fast she has shown improvement.

please keep updating us whenever you can, I'ld love to know how she's doing.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too came late to thread I am so sorry for your ordeal. I am happy your baby is doing better. I can't imaging letting FInn and Darci go out in the big outside world but then again I also am overprotective and a little insane as far as they are concerned.

xomycatsxo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ha, that's what my 8 think too, I'm sure. They don't set foot outside and I only hope they realize how lucky they are. I don't really have any that beg to go out, even if I did - it wouldn't make me feel bad once ounce- they're safe and that's my biggest priority. 99% of the time cats don't get sad being inside if you provide them w/ enough entertainment (you'd think their tail would do it, lol).
I'm looking into an outdoor enclosure- I want to do more research on them.

Any more of an update on this story, btw?

Originally Posted by DarciFinn

I too came late to thread I am so sorry for your ordeal. I am happy your baby is doing better. I can't imaging letting FInn and Darci go out in the big outside world but then again I also am overprotective and a little insane as far as they are concerned.