my cat died from anesthesia

dadof4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, did your vet give your cat an appetite stimulant, just curious as you say your cat hadn't been eating.. our cat passed away last year, after having an appetite stimulant without the vet realising he had hyperthyroid, the symptoms you describe the strng heart beat and dilated eyes sound identical to our boy's last 3 hours. The antidote is administering another appetite stimulant that affects the brain differently and counteracts the initisl drug

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiterabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You asked in an earlier post, The SVB requires you make the charge against specific people. To follow up on a complaint the person must be licensed with the state. There should be a section for license verification on your SVB website. A veterinarian is responsible for not overseeing a vet tech. A vet tech is not excused from mistakes simply because the vet failed to note a mistake they may have made. You may need to file individual claims if more than one person is involved.
It's correct. But the form has a dropdown list to charge against a facility (the clinic itself) or a veterinarian. Both the clinic and individual vets are licensed, I checked. Technicians are on the dropdown too, but I don't think there were issues with them in particular. With the first vet, there was may be one technician and all worked like a clock. With the second one, there was a whole bunch of people around and it was a clerical, medical and other mess. Like, when we asked a question, a technician had to go to the vet then came back to relay the answer to us. She (the tech) made a mistake explaining something to us, then went to the vet again to verify, came back and delivered us the information corrected. Etc. I wonder what was that important task the vet couldn't leave alone, so she couldn't stay with us for a little longer. A surgery, may be? 

A possible issue with anesthesia might've been lack of proper equipment in their surgery room, so it's about the clinic. May be, I do need 2 complaints. 

As for animal cruelty, your VMB regulations might have a clause "Humane Treatment" or something like that - a doctor should care that a patient receives minimal pain and distress... not about their own comfort (not reading bottles). 

whiterabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, did your vet give your cat an appetite stimulant, just curious as you say your cat hadn't been eating.. our cat passed away last year, after having an appetite stimulant without the vet realising he had hyperthyroid, the symptoms you describe the strng heart beat and dilated eyes sound identical to our boy's last 3 hours. The antidote is administering another appetite stimulant that affects the brain differently and counteracts the initisl drug
No appetite stimulants. But as you asked, the vet didn't even care about helping her eat.

It's not just dilated eyes, it was hypoxia, no breathing and heart beat (the strong heartbeat was a result of some injection), and brain death. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

It's correct. But the form has a dropdown list to charge against a facility (the clinic itself) or a veterinarian. Both the clinic and individual vets are licensed, I checked. Technicians are on the dropdown too, but I don't think there were issues with them in particular. With the first vet, there was may be one technician and all worked like a clock. With the second one, there was a whole bunch of people around and it was a clerical, medical and other mess. Like, when we asked a question, a technician had to go to the vet then came back to relay the answer to us. She (the tech) made a mistake explaining something to us, then went to the vet again to verify, came back and delivered us the information corrected. Etc. I wonder what was that important task the vet couldn't leave alone, so she couldn't stay with us for a little longer. A surgery, may be? 

A possible issue with anesthesia might've been lack of proper equipment in their surgery room, so it's about the clinic. May be, I do need 2 complaints. 

As for animal cruelty, your VMB regulations might have a clause "Humane Treatment" or something like that - a doctor should care that a patient receives minimal pain and distress... not about their own comfort (not reading bottles). 
I'm trying to settle. Mostly for our own mental health. However the vet has given me more than enough to win a properly presented case. There may be more charges or complaints to come. You can also check and see if your city or county has a local board of vets.

Because I am Pro Se, Head of Research, both medical and legal, and everything in-between I have only touched the outline of some of the other possible legal recourses. Veterinary Malpractice is a nasty legal issue that shields the bad vets and leaves the pet owners dangling in a void by themselves.

I have made it to having an actual court date.

By using forms and reading lots of legal documents I turned up the necessary information to finish my case almost by pure luck. So covering every nook and cranny and person involved may play out the same for you. The person with the smallest pebble of information can unlock the whole case.

I guess each state is different.

whiterabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm trying to settle. Mostly for our own mental health. However the vet has given me more than enough to win a properly presented case. There may be more charges or complaints to come. You can also check and see if your city or county has a local board of vets.

Because I am Pro Se, Head of Research, both medical and legal, and everything in-between I have only touched the outline of some of the other possible legal recourses. Veterinary Malpractice is a nasty legal issue that shields the bad vets and leaves the pet owners dangling in a void by themselves.

I have made it to having an actual court date.

By using forms and reading lots of legal documents I turned up the necessary information to finish my case almost by pure luck. So covering every nook and cranny and person involved may play out the same for you. The person with the smallest pebble of information can unlock the whole case.

I guess each state is different.
I managed to find a list of disciplinary actions by VMB, then located those vets in the licensing database. It contained detailed documents - accusations by the state board. Very useful to see how it's processed, and what patterns to look for in the case. 

My goal is to make the state board investigate. But I also want no more animals killed at that place. I would like to a put a review on Yelp, but I also don't want to let them know what I already know. How do I proceed? 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I managed to find a list of disciplinary actions by VMB, then located those vets in the licensing database. It contained detailed documents - accusations by the state board. Very useful to see how it's processed, and what patterns to look for in the case. 

My goal is to make the state board investigate. But I also want no more animals killed at that place. I would like to a put a review on Yelp, but I also don't want to let them know what I already know. How do I proceed? 
I held off on the reviews until I had done a lot of research and knew that my case was valid. I also wanted to and have tried despite a few rather rabid reviews to maintain a professional and not over emotional stance. My biggest fear was and is being labeled a crazy cat lady. The SVB took my deposition 2-3 days after we had to euthanize Kitten. I would say I was less hysterical that boiling mad at that point. I did emphasize the facts of our case while letting them know I believe that the events that caused her to lose her life were set in motion by the vet months ago.

The case is put forth by the investigator tomorrow. I filed in the beginning of Sept 2015. I wrote a motion for a Summary Judgment tonight.

The best advice I can give. Keep in contact and let them know you are going to pursue it. And don't be discouraged. I got the most important answer of all. What happened. It will never make it ok. Bring closure but It lets me put it to rest soon. And I have , or will , expose a vet who seems to think that using a 1999 book and treating cats at high doses for 16 years doing who knows how much damage will stop.

The support I have received here has been one of my most useful resources. Along the way I have received nothing but support. And in the process gave valuable information about the  fluoroquinolones drugs to the posters here.

I sort of laughed tonight. If I had the information that I had to file a suit and demand production of evidence to get the information I now have, A lawyer would drool over this mess and likely be trying to get the max out of the case. I was just an idiot with a stack of medial reports before.

One important lesson. The vet never thought I would see her reply to the SVB complaint I filed. I should have kicked up a fuss and demanded it.