My baby ziva is pregnant.

zivasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby is pregnant and i don't know how far along she is. I thought only 6 or 7 weeks but I've found 2 Brown and bloody mucus like clumps in the last 2 days. I'm not sure what this means. I'm a first time pregnant cat owner. Any help would be appreciated.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

That could be the loss of her mucus plug, which means she will likely give birth in the next few hours to several days provided she is to term. How much blood is there? Too much could indicate a possible issue.

Prepare for a lot of questions!

Is it possible she got pregnant before what you originally thought? How long have you been able to see/feel kitten movement? It's typically 2 to 3 weeks after the first movement is felt and seen that they deliver. 

Has she been showing any signs of nesting, does she seem restless? If you haven't already prepared nesting areas for her, now would be the time to do so. She may not give birth where you intended her to, but provided the nesting areas you provide and secluded, warm, and cozy, she will likely settle into them to nurse and raise the kittens.

Do you have a kitten kit? The most NEEDED things are a kitchen scale, KMR (kitten milk replacer) and a needless syringe to feed in case you have to supplement the kittens.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zivasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is possible however she still has a hefty appetite. We've only been able to see kitten movement for the last week. I don't have a kitten lot. Didn't know there was such a thing. She's not restless. She's quite lazy in fact. I do have a nesting area but only the one so far. She wants nothing to do with it so far. She's so small. She looks like her belly is going to explode. She got pregnant during her first heat. She was small anyways. I rescued her at 4 or 5 weeks when her mom refused to nurse her anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of her?

If it wasn't much blood and she acts normal then things are likely okay. Sounds like she has a couple of weeks left.

zivasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to upload a picture. Do they have to be approved first? Thanks for your help. I just confused when I found those 2 clumps. I'll definitely keep you posted on her progress. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since you have only seen movement for the past week, she is likely where you estimated her to be, probably around 7 to 8 weeks. As sarthur said, she's likely fine as long as she is acting normal.

Lazy is fine, pregnant cats don't like to move very much towards the end of term :)

You've got some time to get some things for the kittens, so you are prepared.

A basic sum up of a decent kitten kit would be

Kitchen scale that weighs in grams

Powdered KMR (petAG is good, I use nutrivet personally, there are also plenty of other good brands, avoid hartz and seargant brands)

Needless syringe and bottles in case you have to supplement

plenty of clean towels and cloths

heating pad, rice sock, warm water bottles as kittens cannot regulate body temperture and have to be kept warm

puppy pads make for an easy clean up of the nest

some nest ideas are a rubbermaid container, dresser drawer, closet, unused bathtub, XXL dog crate, anywhere like that, it should be in a dark, easy to access area that is quiet and secluded from children and other pets

Here are some articles that offer a lot of info :) There are plenty more to be read, in the article section of the forum.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/weighing-newborn-kittens-and-how-this-could-save-their-lives

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-save-your-cat-from-these-16-life-threatening-pregnancy-risks

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/pregnant-cat-what-to-prepare-for-the-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-do-i-know-when-my-cat-will-give-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens-what-you-need-to-know-to-save-a-newborns-life

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/help-my-cat-is-having-kittens

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the first time you post they need to get approved. Hopefully the pictures will post soon. I'm not sure what the clumps were. Let us know if you see more.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried to upload a picture. Do they have to be approved first? Thanks for your help. I just confused when I found those 2 clumps. I'll definitely keep you posted on her progress. [emoji]128515[/emoji]
Sometimes they have to be approved if you're new. I went through that when I first joined! I've only been a member for a month :)

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can embed pictures in your replies by clicking on the circled icon above the text entry box in the reply section. Once you click the "picture" icon, you can choose from your library. This is the easiest way to show pictures in response to enquiries.

See picture below to learn how to embed.

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Strange, I never had to wait. Oh well, we can wait for the pictures. Maybe you need more posts until you can embed, it can't be that many though. Hard to ask questions when pictures are needed for any educated advice to be given, until then, it's just a guessing game.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What type of phone do you have? I have an iPhone and it's really simple to upload, but I think I've read it's different trying to upload from an android or something

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
There's a problem with the Android phone/Chrome browser combination.

This thread gives tips on how to get around it if that seems to be your problem:
Won't upload pics

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, she's beautiful.  Glad you got the photo to upload!  

Are you able to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males until the babies are weaned?

zivasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's my baby Ziva. Had to use the desktop version. But she's acting weird today. No appetite. Only drinking and has been hiding in a corner for hours now.