Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tarasgirl and Simka,  the vet gave amtibiotics for ten days.  The pain medication was by mouth syringe and he gave me six of those.  Muffin had three of them.  The vet told me Tuesday after Muffin's surgery last Monday to give it to him that night, then just see how he acted and decide whether to continue it.  Muffin was doing so well, on Wednesday, but wanting to be sure, I gave him both doses for that day.  On Thursday, I didn't give him anymore.  He has been on his feet and acting like he felt great all the time.  But, no, he didn't have enough for ten days, only three.  Muffin's bloodwork also showed that he is hyperthyroid and the vet says that could be affecting his appetite too, although not often does it decrease their appetite.  He stopped the antibiotics because he said that could be affecting his appetite.  He had the mertapazine and I am hoping that will kick in quick.  We didn't discuss any kind of followup treatment for this cancer.  I don't know at this point if there is one.  Is there anyone who has had experience with liver cancer and cats.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes: for Muffin, especially that his appetite picks up again. Have you tried baby food (without onions), Fancy Feast, KFC, water-packed tuna or a little liver? It's so worrisome when they won't eat (we went through that with Jamie earlier this year, but he's eating okay again now).

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks JCat.  No I have not tried baby food.  Muffin has had so much urinary problem that the vet put him on prescription food years ago.  He is 12 now.  Anyway, that situation complicates the eating issue.  If his appetite doesn't returnl, we are going to have to explore some serious other options.  Problem is we don't know if this appetite stimulant will get his appetite going again or if it is a temporary fix. 

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All I can think of is that if his liver is inflamed, then he will feel nauseated, but you would expect that to be more likely soon after surgery rather than at this point. Mirtazapine is very potent, or at least it has been on the cats I've given it to, and acts within about 30 minutes.  Is he getting 1/4 tablet (can't remember the tablet size/mg size) every third day?

As you know, the liver regenerates itself so liver cancer (unless a very aggressive form) can be relatively slow. However, the impact on the liver, leading to nausea would reduce quality of life. It sounds like the greater problem might be it's metastasizing.  Did you tell the vet you were interested in further treatment? I don't known if chemotherapy works well on liver cancer, I only know I've heard from vets and cat caregivers that cats cope with chemotherapy relatively well.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simka, thank you for your support and concern for Muffin.  It helpls me so much to get people's feedback.  Muffin's very first bloodwork showed high liver alt.  That has been years ago.  I decided two years ago to try him on Denamarin.  His liver alt number almost got to the normal range, but he was vomiting and the medicine was making him sick.  With my vet, I made the decision to take him off of it,  Denamarin is a combination of milk thistle and Sam-e.  Muffin never showed any symptoms related to liver issues until the first of the year when he started having appetite issues. My vet thinks the inflamation that is showing in his liver is related to the chronic liver issue he probably has always had and not to the cancer. Yes, he is getting 1/4 tablet every three days, although the vet told me give it to him today and call the office on Wednesday to let him know how Muffin is progressing.  I am going to find out the name of the cancer.  The vet told me, but I didn't write it down.  I found a website today that talks about primary liver cancer and the fact that surgery is the cadillac treatment to this cancer.  It didn't talk about any followup treatments, but I want to discuss it further with my vet, when we get Muffin headed in the right direction with his eating.  Thanks again for your support.  It means a lot to me.

vampyre88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm real sorry for the news. It's what every pet parent hates to hear about one of their furry companions. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you. And I hope everything turns out well. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds from your description of the conversation like it's lymphoma. After-care typically involves the use of prednisone (a low, anti-inflammatory dose) combined with the use of appetite-stimulants and/or anti-nausea medication.

When we went through this with Lazlo, TCS members had some great suggestions for helping his appetite. Lazlo's problem seemed to be his sense of smell more frequently than the appetite itself, though I did have to syringe feed him, but these ideas may help. Heating the food was a good one. :nod: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/235692/food-to-entice-cat-with-smell-problem-to-eat

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :rub:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds from your description of the conversation like it's lymphoma. After-care typically involves the use of prednisone (a low, anti-inflammatory dose) combined with the use of appetite-stimulants and/or anti-nausea medication.
When we went through this with Lazlo, TCS members had some great suggestions for helping his appetite. Lazlo's problem seemed to be his sense of smell more frequently than the appetite itself, though I did have to syringe feed him, but these ideas may help. Heating the food was a good one.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/235692/food-to-entice-cat-with-smell-problem-to-eat
Thanks for the link.  I will read that.  LDG, it was a complicated sounding word when he said the kind of cancer it was.  I will get back with the vet office and find out what it was for sure.  I want to know so I can do some research myself about it.  I gave Muffin 1/4 tablet of the appetite stimulant yesterday and by last night it was helping him.  It actually worked faster than it did when he first got it.

I will post what kind of cancer it was when I know for sure.

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used pred only once for cancer, a brain tumor, and it worked amazingly well for months.  And, of course, it's an appetite stimulant. Glad to hear the mirtazapine is working now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gerber pure meat foods (in the little jars) are a staple for a cat who won't eat or isn't eating well.  Chicken, Beef, Turkey, and Lamb (I would not feed anyone the pork, but that's my spiritual and personal beliefs.  Pork is not a high quality food for anyone.)  And there is also the CliniCare from the vet.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why so puzzled?  Spain and Germany both make many delicious pork products, and Parma in Italy makes some of the best ham in the world.  All three countries would dispute the view that pork is not a high quality food, and anyone paying the eye-watering prices for the best Parma or Pata Negra ham would agree.  BTW these are both hams for eating raw, very thinly sliced.  I'm sure somewhere in the US makes a similar product.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's a good idea- give him those pain meds again :-). I have some extras that I did not have to give Toby and I plan on giving them to him whenever he seems like he is in pain. I've almost done it once or twice when he seems to have a bad tummy, but I've held off so far. 

I also bought sardines and rich tuna fish at the grocery store to give to Toby with any bad-tasting pills. Maybe something like that- fishy smelly stuff will help to stimulate Muffin's appetite too?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to say too that I am praying for you and Muffin. I know how hard it is, I am watching Toby all the time, and even now he is downstairs crying after being at the vet- and I have to leave and go to the adoption center augh. 

I will send you good wishes that Muffin's appetite picks up, and if you run out of the pain meds ask your vet for more of them. They gave me 15 for Toby and his surgery was a lot less complicated, so you could probably do well to give more to Muffin without any bad side effects, so long as your vet is on board with it and you too :-). 

My thoughts are with you!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gerber pure meat foods (in the little jars) are a staple for a cat who won't eat or isn't eating well.  Chicken, Beef, Turkey, and Lamb (I would not feed anyone the pork, but that's my spiritual and personal beliefs.  Pork is not a high quality food for anyone.)  And there is also the CliniCare from the vet.

A lot of people have said the same thing to me, i.e. giving my kitty the gerber pure meats is a great idea> 

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Sam is going through a bad patch I use Gerbers chicken or beef, but if she won't even eat those I turn to honey glazed turkey breast slices from a local deli, thin cut and then diced and piled into a fragile heap (no cherry on top!)

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am keeping Muffin in my prayers and thoughts.  Muffin has wonderful advocates in you and your husband.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is something very gentle on the digestive system that a lot of cats do show an interest in when their regular foods get a "thumbs-down" 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to post the kind of cancer the histology report gave for Muffin.  It is hepatocellular carcinoma.  Is there anyone who has knowledge of this cancer in cats.  What I have read so far says primary liver cancer in cats is very rare. I also read that the treatment is surgery, and will not respond to chemotherapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.