Muffin - Bad news vet visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not, but inputting that medical term into your computer's search engine will yield results; Wikipedia is another place to look.  

I pray you are able to go ahead with the surgery right away, and that Muffin recuperates and rallies.  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry, I don't have any experience with this type of cancer in cats, but wishing you and Muffin good vibes.  Is the follow-up surgery scheduled yet? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel that I need to clarify something here.  Several folks have asked about Muffins coming up surgery or follow up surgery or if we are going to go ahead and do surgery.  His cancer was found via x-ray.  We did not do an ultrasound, but went ahead and did surgery.  He had that this past Monday a week ago.  He had some of the staples out today and the rest will come out next Wednesday.  He is still on limited activity but not being confined all the time.  He can go out for short period of time in our back yard where he normally spends the day.  We have to still watch his jumping and climbing steps. But he is recovering well.  Thanks to all for their prayers and support.  We are trying to get his appetite back to normal, but we are hoping being back to a more normal routine will help that.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that Muffin is recovering and slowly getting back to normal. Sending vibes for his appetite to return and that he continues to heal and recover beautifully. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes to Muffin and Mommy - I know how scary it is>   I am waiting for results myself right now but Muffin in lucky to have a mommy and daddy and love!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am bumping up my thread about Muffin to say he is going to the vet this morning to get the rest of his staples out from his surgery.  We had hoped his appetite would go back to normal, but it has not.  I am having to give him one quarter tablet of Mirtapazine every third day.

I think the vet is going to suggest something else this morning.  Muffin needs to be put on medicine for his thyroid, but the vet is trying to get him eating normal first.  Please keep Muffin in your thoughts and prayers.  He is recovering from surgery to remove a primary liver cancer.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor Muffin...Continuing vibes for your little one :rub: I am sorry that his appetite is not back :shame: Good luck at the vet. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

pattiecake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to send our heartfelt prayers are going out to Muffin and his family. I can' imagine. If you can, maybe you can  go to the Sr's home...for Muffin. Make someone happy.

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm late in this thread but I'm sending lots of vibes to Muffin. Good to see he is doing so well! :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin went to the vet yesterday and had the rest of his staples removed.  His incision does have some scab there and the vet said leave it alone and it will come off.  Muffin weighed 9.2 lbs. on Friday before his surgery on Monday.  He has lost about a lb. and a half.  Yesterday he weighed 9.5.  So he is not losing weight., but has actually gained a little bit.   The vet started him on 1/2 of a 5 mg. tab. of Methimazole once daily for a week, then increase to 1/2 tab twice daily after that.  This is to go ahead and treat him for hyperthyroid.  Sometimes cats get sick the first week so he told me watch for vomiting.  Muffin has had two doses and so far no vomiting.  He said give him the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine as needed.  The dosage is 1/4 tab. every three days.  He had that on Sunday night.  He had eaten good until tonight.  I haven't given up.  I will put his food back for him in a little while and see if he will eat the rest of it.  Today he was on the porch and was being very playful.  First time I have seen Muffin do that in a long time.  I asked the vet for pill pockets to be able to get these pills in him.  I have always used a piller, but that is impossible with the portions of pills.  Muffin eats the pill pocket and loves it.  Those things are the cat's meow.  So long story short, I feel encouraged right now about him.  I just pray that the cancer is over for good.  Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes for our cat and our family. lt helps.  Oh, also the vet gave to something called Fortiflora to sprinkle on Muffin's food once daily.  I hope it helps.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy to hear the joy in your update :clap: :D. I bet it was wonderful to see Muffin playing in the porch. I hope he continues to improve and you have many more happy moments. The Fortiflora will definitely make him more interested in eating. We use it all the time as an enticement when trying a new food. Works very well to get the cat's interested in eating. Helps maintain healthy gut flora as well. Hoping for more good updates :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also replied to an earlier version of this post and now I am very happy to have seen the most recent update and to find that Muffin is improved! Here are more vibes for you and hugs. I am so glad he is improving and I will continue my prayers !!!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Muffin Update.  He is doing well.  HIs incision is healing well.  There is still a scab, but it is very dry and about to come off.  He has adjusted well to the thyroid meds.  Yesterday his dosage was increased to the half tablet two times a day.  He is eating much better.  I haven't had to give him the appetite stimulant pill since last Thursday evening.  I love using the pill pockets to disguise the medicine.  I have never used them before now.  I do thank all of you for the positive thoughts and prayers on his behalf.  He will go back to the vet in a month for a T-4 check.  Fingers and toes crossed.  LOL.  We are praying of course that the tumor removal will be the end of that.  I do love my Muffin boy.  He purrs immediately when you touch him.  His vet said he is the only cat who purrs the whole time he is getting a shot. 

Status
Not open for further replies.