Mother Still Outside - What Should I Do?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! Could I use Felix as bait to get Hazel inside?
You can try, but just be sure that curiosity doesn't turn into chasing or fighting.  Cats can be very territorial.  Felix may be curious or even remember Hazel, but if she comes into his space, there could be territory issues.  Just take it slowly and keep a close eye on them.  Some cats do adjust very quickly and do not have issues with territory at all.  Each cats personality is different so you won't know until you try!

Thank you for taking another chance with Hazel. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix is generally very accepting of others in his territory as long as they are friendly. I've always exposed him to different animals and people so I think he should be okay.

Will the flea treatment on Hazel fade soon?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felix is generally very accepting of others in his territory as long as they are friendly. I've always exposed him to different animals and people so I think he should be okay.

Then give it a try with Felix and Hazel.  Do you mean the scent of the treatment or the oily stuff on her skin? 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My cats are the same way. My Lilith is the alpha in our house and never lets anyone forget that but when Henry came to live with us, she accepted him immediately and was very kind to him while he was in his safe room. She used to go sit in there with him for hours just keeping him company. It wasn't until he came out of his room and joined her and Sophie in the rest of the house that she let him know who ruled the roost. She has put him in his place many times but she has never been mean to him. He and Sophie have gotten along from the beginning as well. I think that they knew that he needed them to help him adjust to life outside of the shelter that he spent 8 years in.

What treatment did you use and how long ago?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It was given to Hazel by the vet so I'm not sure the term the assistant used. I think it started with an 'r'.

But if Hazel comes back inside, I don't want her to freak out like before. Maybe Felix will add some security and comfort?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hazel was limping yesterday and we tried to catch her but it failed. She missed dinner yesterday, breakfast today, and lunch today. I haven't seen her or any sign of her and I'm starting to get worried that something happened to her. What should I do?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hazel was limping yesterday and we tried to catch her but it failed. She missed dinner yesterday, breakfast today, and lunch today. I haven't seen her or any sign of her and I'm starting to get worried that something happened to her. What should I do?
Has she shown up yet? If she has not, you ca talk to your neighbors and ask them to keep an eye out for her. If there are kids around who are outside a lot, ask them to let you know if they see her. She may have gotten into a fight with another animal. It's hard to say. This is part of the reason why outside life is so dangerous for cats. There are so many things that can happen to them. I hope she is OK and comes home soon.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hazel came for breakfast today. I opened the door and put food out and she came right up without being nervous or scared. I let Felix meet her face to face and they were 5 inches away. She continued to eat and Felix crouched down next to her. No problem. Great introduction! But then, Smokey came. And it all went out the window. Hazel doesn't fancy Smokey too much so when she saw Smokey, she ran to the fence. Smokey tried to eat her food so I brought her back inside and she went into the basement. I would really really really really love for Hazel to come back inside and be my new fur baby. She loves Felix, I can see that clearly and my parents and I are discussing what we should do when we move in a few months. It's only a matter of time before we're gone and there won't be anyone to look after Hazel. People in this area don't know how to treat cats or else Hazel would have been spayed by her previous owner and inside their house.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice! Please! I want to get her inside before July, August the latest.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hazel came for breakfast today. I opened the door and put food out and she came right up without being nervous or scared. I let Felix meet her face to face and they were 5 inches away. She continued to eat and Felix crouched down next to her. No problem. Great introduction! But then, Smokey came. And it all went out the window. Hazel doesn't fancy Smokey too much so when she saw Smokey, she ran to the fence. Smokey tried to eat her food so I brought her back inside and she went into the basement. I would really really really really love for Hazel to come back inside and be my new fur baby. She loves Felix, I can see that clearly and my parents and I are discussing what we should do when we move in a few months. It's only a matter of time before we're gone and there won't be anyone to look after Hazel. People in this area don't know how to treat cats or else Hazel would have been spayed by her previous owner and inside their house.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice! Please! I want to get her inside before July, August the latest.
I would try to start feeding Hazel just inside the door.  Then each day gradually move her food further and further into the house.  While doing this I would be sure to keep Smokey in another room. 

If this doesn't work, you could try feeding her in a large carrier.  I used to use one that was a medium size dog carrier.  I fed a cat in it for a few weeks and on the morning I needed him to go to the vet, I put the food in the carrier, in the cat went and then I blocked the exit with a chair pad and then zipped it shut. 

I hope you are able to try again with Hazel.  It would be very difficult for her to be dependent on you for food and then you move away leaving her to fend for herself.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to start feeding Hazel just inside the door.  Then each day gradually move her food further and further into the house.  While doing this I would be sure to keep Smokey in another room. 

If this doesn't work, you could try feeding her in a large carrier.  I used to use one that was a medium size dog carrier.  I fed a cat in it for a few weeks and on the morning I needed him to go to the vet, I put the food in the carrier, in the cat went and then I blocked the exit with a chair pad and then zipped it shut. 

I hope you are able to try again with Hazel.  It would be very difficult for her to be dependent on you for food and then you move away leaving her to fend for herself.
Alright, I'll try that. She comes closer when Felix is there and I was really nervous this morning but they got along fine and she didn't feel threatened by Felix being near her food. He'll be bait I guess? I love how well they're getting along. Still can't get over it. :clap:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alright, I'll try that. She comes closer when Felix is there and I was really nervous this morning but they got along fine and she didn't feel threatened by Felix being near her food. He'll be bait I guess? I love how well they're getting along. Still can't get over it.
Yes. If they have a bond, he can help convince her to come back in. I'd just make sure that Smokey is in another part of the house. They will need to be introduced to each other slowly. We have a very good article that can help you with that. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Will Hazel be okay in the basement with Felix? And Smokey upstairs with me? She's more comfortable with Felix so I thought that maybe she'd like it in his territory.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will Hazel be okay in the basement with Felix? And Smokey upstairs with me? She's more comfortable with Felix so I thought that maybe she'd like it in his territory.
If it is dark in the basement and she feels trapped, most likely she would not feel comfortable there. Your situation is very tricky.  Smokey and Hazel will most certainly need a proper introduction at some point.  Yet Felix and Hazel seem to be compatible. 

Since you are moving soon, you don't want to do anything that will cause Hazel to be more fearful and then not trust you.  You have time so just take things slowly with her.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have done this a very long time ago but I just wanted to thank each and every member that shared advice or encouragement. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture Hazel since I last posted here. I'm moving out at the end of the month and since college will be starting in September, I am very busy and unable to look after Hazel as I should. I won't even be able to take Felix and Smokey with me so Hazel will end up being left behind.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I should have done this a very long time ago but I just wanted to thank each and every member that shared advice or encouragement. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture Hazel since I last posted here. I'm moving out at the end of the month and since college will be starting in September, I am very busy and unable to look after Hazel as I should. I won't even be able to take Felix and Smokey with me so Hazel will end up being left behind.
HI, I read the whole thread and was so happy and then so sad with your last post :( 

Are you moving out to go to school or is your whole family moving out? If it is just you, your mom could feed Hazel while your gone. 

If your whole family is moving out as well, maybe talk to a neighbor and ask if they could feed her. 

You could also post an ad on Craigslist or any other popular website with a lot of traffic and post cute pictures and ask if anyone would want to help catching her and foster her or keep her. 

It would probably be a long shot, but there are people out there that care as much as you do and they might see the ad and want to help. You never know and it won't take much to do. Placing an ad on craigslist is easy as you know and you just have to hit the renew button to bring refresh the ad and bring it back to the top. 

Wish you well and hope Hazel turns out ok in the end. 

yummy520

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My experience with trapping ferals is that a can of tuna fish never fails. I use a large 'Tupperware' container and place the can of tuna inside and stand or sit very close by with the lid in hand. When kitty goes in to eat, I pop the lid on top and bring kitty inside, or to the vets, or where ever it needs to go. Best of luck and blessings to you and your efforts!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

HI, I read the whole thread and was so happy and then so sad with your last post :( 

Are you moving out to go to school or is your whole family moving out? If it is just you, your mom could feed Hazel while your gone. 

If your whole family is moving out as well, maybe talk to a neighbor and ask if they could feed her. 

You could also post an ad on Craigslist or any other popular website with a lot of traffic and post cute pictures and ask if anyone would want to help catching her and foster her or keep her. 

It would probably be a long shot, but there are people out there that care as much as you do and they might see the ad and want to help. You never know and it won't take much to do. Placing an ad on craigslist is easy as you know and you just have to hit the renew button to bring refresh the ad and bring it back to the top. 

Wish you well and hope Hazel turns out ok in the end. 
I'm moving in with my cousin since he lives closer to where I will be attending college. Unfortunately, I am the only one Hazel trust to the point where I can get really close and she won't run off (not close enough to grab her though). So, my parents can't feed her because once she's frightened by one of them, she doesn't come back. My neighbors don't care about feral cats and there is also a language barrier which makes it difficult to communicate with them. I also don't have a good relationship with my neighbors so it's best to not ask them for such a huge favor.

I do have a big butterfly net that I could probably catch her with but I'm afraid I might frighten her.