Mother Still Outside - What Should I Do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm moving in with my cousin since he lives closer to where I will be attending college. Unfortunately, I am the only one Hazel trust to the point where I can get really close and she won't run off (not close enough to grab her though). So, my parents can't feed her because once she's frightened by one of them, she doesn't come back. My neighbors don't care about feral cats and there is also a language barrier which makes it difficult to communicate with them. I also don't have a good relationship with my neighbors so it's best to not ask them for such a huge favor.

I do have a big butterfly net that I could probably catch her with but I'm afraid I might frighten her. 
Why can't your parents continue to leave food out for her?  They could set up a feeding station.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, if one of them frightens her, she doesn't come back until the next day. So, even if they did leave food out, it would sit there and spoil. They have tried feeding her but when she doesn't come back and the food sits there, it attracts skunks which have now become a huge problem in our backyard. Therefore, I am the one that does the feeding.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said, if one of them frightens her, she doesn't come back until the next day. So, even if they did leave food out, it would sit there and spoil. They have tried feeding her but when she doesn't come back and the food sits there, it attracts skunks which have now become a huge problem in our backyard. Therefore, I am the one that does the feeding.
I think you need to capture her then. I don't see leaving her to starve as an option.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to capture her then. I don't see leaving her to starve as an option.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. I'm going to try to work something out with my parents because we have a rescue rabbit at the moment and it's been a constant competition for space since the rabbit craves it.

Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue rabbit found a home but I am still unable to catch Hazel. However, I am still feeding her. At this point, it wouldn't be a good idea for me to take in another cat but she isn't tamed so no one will want her. I don't know what to do at this point. I can feed her but she will most likely die this winter if I can't catch her and bring her inside. College has also taken up a large amount of my schedule and it's difficult to try to catch her if I'm busy.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the humane trap or set up insulated areas for her outside?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she won't go inside the trap because the last time that happened, she got spayed and she's become very cautious of small spaces. I've also tried to create a shelter for her outside but squirrels, skunks, other cats, etc have taken it over.