Mother Still Outside - What Should I Do?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The flea treatment the vet gives should kill all her fleas.  Yet she can get reinfested if she goes back outside.  You can ask the vet for flea prevention that you give monthly.  The product the vet uses will be strong and really should get rid of the fleas. 

I would not try to bathe her at this point.  It would be very very stressful for her.  She also will need to rest and recooperate after her spay surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, that makes sense.

Should I just leave her to run loose in the room or have a crate?
She also hasn't been eating much of the food I leave for her. Could it be something serious?

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alright, that makes sense.

Should I just leave her to run loose in the room or have a crate?
It would be best if you have a large crate, but if not a small room will work.  Just be sure it is cat proofed.  You don't want her hiding under a bed where you cannot reach her.  If you use a bedroom, I would remove the bed or be sure it is flat on the floor.  Under the bed is the first place a cat will run to hide and it is near impossible to get them out.  Also block off behind and under any large furniture.  Watch for closets too.  Keep them closed.  Also watch for windows.  Do not leave them open (even with a scree) as she may try to get out.

The vet/rescue group should give you instructions on her care for the fist 48 hours after her spay. 

If you do plan on keeping her and working to socialize her a room of her own is really a must.  You do not want to overwhelm her by allowing her free roam of your home.  You also want to keep her separate from other pets. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some tips on working on socializing her:

http://bestfriends.org/resources/socializing-cats-how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cat

Also a few more tips:

1.  The first tip is to have a room that is dedicated to the cat.  If possible this should be a room where the cat will be confined for a period of time.  You can use a spare bedroom or even a small bathroom.  If using a bedroom or other room of your home, be sure that the room is cat proofed.  Remove mattress and box springs or place them directly on the floor.  Hiding under a bed is the first place the cat will run and it is almost impossible to get them out.  Also block behind dressers or book cases.  Cats can fit into very small spaces.  You do want to have an appropriate hiding spot for the cat.  This can be an old box turned on its side or a hiding box found on a cat tree.  Also make sure all windows are tightly closed and blinds are up with the cords hidden.  Do not be surprised if the cat throws himself against the window in an attempt to escape.

2.  If you do not have an empty room available or the cat is very wild,  you can use a large dog crate or fasten two smaller crates together.  Just be sure there is enough room for a small litter pan and food.  If you need to use a crate, I would suggest keeping the crate covered with a sheet or towel  when the cat is alone.  This will help to calm the cat.  Eventually you will need a cat proofed space where you can move the cat.

3.  You will want to start with 2 litter boxes.  Many feral cats are not used to urinating and defecating in the same location. When choosing a  litter, you can use fresh clean potting soil mixed with non clumping litter or you can try Dr. Elsey’s Litter Attract.  I have found the Litter Attract to work very well.  If the cat has an accident on the floor, sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it into the litter box.  Do the same with any stool.  Make sure you clean the area very well with a good enzymatic cleaner to remove all traces of odor.  Place the litter boxes away from the food and water.

4.  Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust.  Most cats find the product soothing.  You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5.  Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max.  The first few nights inside are very stressful.  The cat will often yowl and cry all night.  The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night.  I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat.  I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food.  Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

6.  Most of the other tips from the top of this page will also apply when you bring a feral cat into your home.  Here is a great article with many tips and suggestions.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you!

Is there a specific way to catch her in the live trap? Like a technique to ensure I catch her and she doesn't escape?
Live traps are pretty secure.  You want to trap her and take her as soon as possible to the vet to minimize her time in the trap.  Once inside the trap, do not try to remove her or transfer her.  Just keep her in the trap and cover it with a light towel or sheet.  She shouldn't be fed before seeing the trap.  Here is a link to a video on trapping.

http://acaweb.alleycat.org/WebPodcasts/Video/Trapping Cats How to Trap an Entire Colony.mov

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Appointment at the vet is set for Hazel and Harvey for Monday, June 13th. I have to catch her the Sunday night. I'm really scared and nervous. What if she doesn't go into the trap?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Appointment at the vet is set for Hazel and Harvey for Monday, June 13th. I have to catch her the Sunday night. I'm really scared and nervous. What if she doesn't go into the trap?
If you have the trap now, you can start by feeding her in it unset.  Just take some twisties or string and make sure it is secure so that it will not go off.  Start by placing her food just outside the unset trap.  Then move it just inside, each time inching it back just a bit.  When you are ready to trap, be sure to set it and put a very small amount of stinky food inside.

Be sure to practice using the trap.  You want to be sure it doesn't accidentally goes off and spooks her.  Hopefully if you cannot get her for Monday, you can schedule again.  I have a vet her that doesn't require an appointment for feral cats in traps.  They are purely a spay/neuter clinic.  They understand that sometimes you cannot always catch a feral when you need to. 

Practice, practice practice and then feed her in the unset trap this weekend.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Last questions before I catch her.

How big should the crate I'll be keeping her in be?

Can I keep her in my room? I have space and the crate should be secure so escaping shouldn't be an issue. I'm also barely in my room, only when it's time for sleep. :lol3:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last questions before I catch her.

How big should the crate I'll be keeping her in be?

Can I keep her in my room? I have space and the crate should be secure so escaping shouldn't be an issue. I'm also barely in my room, only when it's time for sleep.
It should be quite large.  Maybe 48" deep.   You need enough room for her to have a place to sleep as well as a space for food and a small litter box. 

You can keep the crate in your room.  Be sure to keep it covered as it will make her more comfortable.  You will need to be able to get into the crate to feed her as well as clean the litter box.  The cage is a great place for her to start out and also to recover. 

If you plan on keeping her, she could just be left in your room as long as it is cat proofed.  That means the bed needs to be flat on the floor.  You cannot risk having her get under it.  Also block off behind dressers or other large furniture and keep closet door shut.  You can provide her with a comfy bed.

Just be sure she cannot get out of your room.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Update:  Vet said I can reschedule if I don't catch Hazel Mae by Monday. 

Getting everything ready now. The room, the crate, trap preparations, etc. I gave her breakfast this morning but I haven't given her anything else.

Is this type of tuna suitable as a smell food?

PC Low Sodium Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water (http://www.fortinos.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc_wild_albacore_flaked_white_tuna13600.html)
You might try it with her first and see if she likes it.  The low sodium might not make it too appealing.  I often use the tuna in oil for trapping as it's really stinky. 

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:  OH MY GOODNESS! WE CAUGHT HER! 
 Thank you so much everyone for your help! I bought the live trap about 2 hours ago and I covered the bottom with printing paper. I put smelly chicken from the fridge in the back and covered it with grass and plants from the backyard. I starved her yesterday and this morning to make sure she would be extra hungry. She pawed at the back to get the chicken and when that didn't work, she circled around and around until she couldn't make the smell of the delicious chicken anymore and went in. I had a panic attack and she did too. A short one though. I covered her with a thin sheet and talked to her for a bit and she calmed down. But the only problem is it's still early and the appointment isn't until tomorrow morning. Should I leave her outside for the night or bring her in?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Update:  OH MY GOODNESS! WE CAUGHT HER! 
 Thank you so much everyone for your help! I bought the live trap about 2 hours ago and I covered the bottom with printing paper. I put smelly chicken from the fridge in the back and covered it with grass and plants from the backyard. I starved her yesterday and this morning to make sure she would be extra hungry. She pawed at the back to get the chicken and when that didn't work, she circled around and around until she couldn't make the smell of the delicious chicken anymore and went in. I had a panic attack and she did too. A short one though. I covered her with a thin sheet and talked to her for a bit and she calmed down. But the only problem is it's still early and the appointment isn't until tomorrow morning. Should I leave her outside for the night or bring her in?
Congratulations!!!!  So so happy for you!!!!!!!
Bring her in.  It is dangerous for her to be in a trap outside.  Just keep the trap covered with a towel or sheet.  Don't offer her any more food after midnight tonight.  Do offer water if possible.  Just be sure to drop the food from above.  Don't attempt to open the trap.  I have used a round coffee filter or old plastic lid from cottage cheese or yogurt.  I then put a bit of food on it and fold it up and push through the slats.  I have also just dropped from above.  Yet don't be surprised if she doesn't eat.  She may be too frightened.  That is ok.

Best of luck tomorrow!!!  You did great!!!!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Nothing much yet. I dropped Harvey and Hazel off at the vet this morning. I called a few minutes ago and they said the doctor is looking after Hazel now. Felix is really missing Harvey though. They were bonding so nicely and even eating out of the same dish. I hope he can have the same connection with Hazel. He's been walking around the house, calling and checking places Harvey use to hide.

One problem, Hazel has been shedding like crazy! Fur everywhere! I don't know if it's because she's spent her life outside but man, I'm concerned. I'm also definitely sure that she is a stray. She let me rub her cheeks yesterday but didn't purrr. And when I approached the live trap, she didn't hiss or spit or scratch. She just smelt my fingers and licked her lips. It's so sad that someone would do this to her. She deserves so much better and so much more! And I hope I can give her all that she deserves. I asked some family if they'd like a cat but everyone wants a sweet little kitten so I guess I'm stuck with her. But I ain't complainin'!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Nothing much yet. I dropped Harvey and Hazel off at the vet this morning. I called a few minutes ago and they said the doctor is looking after Hazel now. Felix is really missing Harvey though. They were bonding so nicely and even eating out of the same dish. I hope he can have the same connection with Hazel. He's been walking around the house, calling and checking places Harvey use to hide.

One problem, Hazel has been shedding like crazy! Fur everywhere! I don't know if it's because she's spent her life outside but man, I'm concerned. I'm also definitely sure that she is a stray. She let me rub her cheeks yesterday but didn't purrr. And when I approached the live trap, she didn't hiss or spit or scratch. She just smelt my fingers and licked her lips. It's so sad that someone would do this to her. She deserves so much better and so much more! And I hope I can give her all that she deserves. I asked some family if they'd like a cat but everyone wants a sweet little kitten so I guess I'm stuck with her. But I ain't complainin'!
You can get a special brush/comb to help with the shedding.  It is normal since she lives outside and also it depends on her fur.  Is he long haired or short haired?  If you can begin to brush her that will really help.  When I brought Marvin, a feral male into my home, he shed like crazy for months and months.  I had to brush and brush him daily.  Now that he is inside, the shedding is much much less.

I hope that all goes well with  Hazel.  You will be her angel forever.  She will now have a warm home and daily love!