Mom taking out 2 wk old kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
w
How did you make that?
we got project board at walmart in the school section. Bottom shelf lol! buy 2. cut it into a square. tape edges very well w amazing tape. When its time for solids and litter training, you build an extension. Cut a door and boom. It was all my idea, but hubby did it. ;) Momma loves it! She pushes them in when they try to climb. I also put a house in it that they sleep in.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh we did very similar for ours at around 3 weeks! We just got 4 big boxes and cut them down and taped them together it worked brilliantly. Mine have now graduated into having the whole living room as for the past 4/5 days they were able to jump out of the big play box lol kept finding them wandering around or snuggled up with our dog lol!
omg how adorable!! What does the dog think when they snuggle? exactly how old were they when they started jumping. These bratts pull up and look over, and mom runs over and puts her paw on their head and pushes them down. They only try to come out when everyone comes inside to visit them. especially the kids! they get so excited when the kids from the neighborhood come in. Ive handled them since day 1. They r so amazinng with ppl. So calm when u hold them! Guess it was good that they have been touched and cuddled from the beginning. We couldnt resist. I told their mom she had no choice. I have spent so much $$$ on her I am touching those kids! haha

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem child of the bunch just escaped! I'll show her!! We r going higher! hahah

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went up higher. Mom is calm now. She wasnt happy. She wants them contained. Its perfect. They get plenty of supervised play and affection outside the box. Mia is just crazy. and shes the only one who eats real food. Btw shes the runt. Yet the smartest one! and such a brat! lol. My poor sister. Shes taking the psycho out of the bunch haha!

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't just assume the kittens are catching herpes.  If they catch a URI they will start sneezing.  Until a vet tells you they have herpes, they don't.
Now the ones cold symptoms r back but mild. White/yellow runny eyes (not severe) some sneezing and a teeeensy bit of white/yellow boogies. I am not jumping the gun just yet and running to a vet. For some reason it disappears for hours and boom it returns. Shes still the crazy one of the bunch so I guess she doesnt feel yucky. I wonder if lysine is ok at this age? And btw they r 5 wks on fri and still not interested in eating. Mom also trys to intervene and push them away. She constantly nurses. I guess shes not weening anytime soon?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely need to take the sick kitten to the vet for treatment. The "cold" may be contagious, and yellow is a sign of infection. At only five weeks old it's best not to take any chances.

As far as weaning goes, they are just turning 5 weeks on Friday, so there is no rush. Many kittens do not wean until they are 6 weeks old, and even then, it's gradual and they still nurse mom for a few more weeks. I suggest you wait until they are 6 weeks old and begin offering mush. They'll be needing more than just milk to fill them up soon.

Last edited:

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha weaning really varies if you let it happen naturally. In my experience some moms do it in a timely manner and others..take their sweet time. I had an 8 week old ONLY on mom's milk. He wouldn't even sniff anything else. I tried all sorts of different foods and warmed them up for him. Even did chicken baby food. His momma would call him and lay down for him to nurse. The only one in the litter who began eating soft food at a more normal time was deaf (pure white blue-eyed male) so I assume he couldn't hear her calling when it was time to eat.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How would mom b if I took her for a couple hours? I just saw her again and once again it cleared up, shes bright eyed and no nose running. Yet tmrrw she may wake up with it for a couple hours. He did mention the lysine when I had asked him before the kittens were born. But never mentioned at what age it would b safe. I will see how she wakes up tmrrw morning.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That right eye is just a little goopy and smaller than the other. So far it hasnt sealed shut in 2 wks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should consult with your vet via telephone about the kitten's cold as well as the lysine to be on the safe side. Let us know what the vet says.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
very strange. its gone completely again.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Just wanted to update on whats going on. The boy did his first poop all over his blanket. I have a feeling they think their litter box is a big sandbox just for play! So now I have them in a room with 2 litter boxes and all they do is try to chew the litter. I did get safe litter just incase and of course nonclump. Can anyone give me tips on how to get them to poop n pee in the box? Ive never trained a kitty so young, and I have 4 that all ate today!! and the boy started drinking water today! i hope thats ok. Should I keep water out? Man I hope he doesnt pee on the floor!

PS Vet said I could use lysine. It is working wonders!!! Its only been 24 hrs and the one kittys eyes are brand new. They havent looked so perfect since shes been alive lol!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will still nurse mom for a few more weeks even though they are weaning to solids.

You put them in the litter box before and after every meal. You take their little paws and show them how to "dig". It would help if they see mom using the box. They will get it. Sometimes it takes a week or two.

Also, if you put their poop into the box if they have an accident they will smell it there and realize this is where it goes.

Good luck! :)

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So there was a ton of pee and 1 poop on the wee wee pad in the middle of their playpen. I threw the poop out! But I can get it back lol! and put it in the litter. They sleep in the litter box. hate that!

They will still nurse mom for a few more weeks even though they are weaning to solids.

You put them in the litter box before and after every meal. You take their little paws and show them how to "dig". It would help if they see mom using the box. They will get it. Sometimes it takes a week or two.

Also, if you put their poop into the box if they have an accident they will smell it there and realize this is where it goes.

Good luck! :)